What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bears launch bid to return

Brycey

Juniors
No additional NSW teams in the NRL period.

No additional.

If Sydney teams want to merge than so be it, from a personal POV I'd rather a new consortium than the Bears. Apart from a few sentimentalists here I can remember the reality of their final years...

They planned to move to CC for a damn good reason, they had little support in Sydney as it was. Not winning a premiership since 1922 and being perennial chokers throughout the 90s catches up with you.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
They planned to move to CC for a damn good reason, they had little support in Sydney as it was. Not winning a premiership since 1922 and being perennial chokers throughout the 90s catches up with you.

Yeah that's right!!!

They only averaged 15,116 in 1994, which made them ONLY the SECOND most popular club in Sydney behind Canterbury and FIFTH out of 16 clubs in the whole league.

I'll think you'll find they moved because they couldn't get the corporate facilities at Bear Park and the council was killing them rent wise.

Originally they looked at Hornsby.

The fact the Bears hadn't won a premiership since 1922 was a great story and gave league some character as it would always be a case of "is this the year?".

Besides with the current salary cap evening everything out they would have been as good a chance as anyone with the cycle of success (12 clubs in GF in last 10 years).

Last edited:

mightybears

Bench

Facts aren't your strong suit? We were one of only two [2!] Sydney teams to have average home crowds of more than 10,000 every year from 91 to 98. An average not achieved by Penrith or Parra or Canterbury or Souths or Saints or Easts or Wests or Balmain. Little support my arse.

We are the only Sydney team to only have one home ground ever and made the hard decision to move Norths North. We won 4 lower grade premierships/junior titles in the 90's, had tapped the very productive Central Coast systematically since the late 80's, had best crowds ever and produced more rep players than at any time since the 1920's but still were the only Sydney club that choose to move out of Sydney.

We had the support and vision, where is your mob going to be in 10 years?

T to the T

Juniors

I doubt you have heard of the Boston Red Sox (until very recently) and Chicago Cubs then:roll:

Loudstrat

Coach
Facts aren't your strong suit? We were one of only two [2!] Sydney teams to have average home crowds of more than 10,000 every year from 91 to 98. An average not achieved by Penrith or Parra or Canterbury or Souths or Saints or Easts or Wests or Balmain. Little support my arse.

We are the only Sydney team to only have one home ground ever and made the hard decision to move Norths North. We won 4 lower grade premierships/junior titles in the 90's, had tapped the very productive Central Coast systematically since the late 80's, had best crowds ever and produced more rep players than at any time since the 1920's but still were the only Sydney club that choose to move out of Sydney.

Good point. Also only moved after the NRL promised them immunity from the Sydney criteria. Great promise that one!

Red Bear

Referee

Well said

Altho we tried to move to quickly. We should've said we will move in 2000 and worried about keeping our finances in order in the 98/99 period of time.

Our board at the time sounded like numbskulls also, f**kin barter sponsorship for christs sake.

Last edited:

barney gumble

Juniors
A good mate of mine is still a massive Bears fan and would be heartened by stories like this one.

I would love to see the Bears back and playing on the Central Coast. They really need to start driving local support and sponsorship now if a 2011 bid has any chance of success.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
It’s a pity with all that foresight, Ray Beattie and his board chose to liquidate the club

Actually, the recommendation to "liquidate" was made by a bloke who came onto the Bears board only a few weeks before. His name was Geoff Bellew.

I dont think Geoff did his homework because, after the JV was formed, the NS Leagues Club put $12 million into the Bears - so the Bears were actually never broke.

Sort of explains why Bears fans have always been pissed off about what happened.

trackhead ronnie
if ....and that is a huge if, this is true, then the bears are bigger parasites then i thought they were.....they sat back and let Manly pay out the norths players (i forget if it is in this thread or another one, adam muir has confirmed this)...and did not put their hands into their pockets......f**ken tightarse pieces of sh*t

now back to the dead bears society cubby house, for you ronnie

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd like to see them take some Bears game sup there and do some market research to show that the CC people and businesses will back a relocated Bears team. Not saying they won't just seems we don't know it yet.

Presumably when the call for expansion goes out "money in teh bank" sponsors will play a big part in who gets the nod?

adamkungl

Immortal
Perth does seem to be proving itself...getting 10,000 to a massively overpriced trail match, and getting a decent JB Cup side together, and aiming for QLD cup soon right?

Loudstrat

Coach
Well, I hope they do. I'm just sick of them being the only club worthy of instant readmission, according to some.

Latest posts