What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bears launch bid to return

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Gosford's shown it can support a football(soccer) team for four consecutive years and there is far more interest in RL on the Coast than there is in the A-League. There will be no issue with support here despite what opponents say - and the Beagles aren't an example of the Coast's support for such a team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And as I am pointing out, it IS getting promoted. I can't see what else they can do at this stage, especially seeing that they are promoting it the right way - by getting the NRL interested, and talking it up and laying out real plans for the club which gets the fans interested.

In oppositoin - are there any plans for a non-Bears consortium to make Gosford home for a new NRL team?

Excuse my ignorance but are the Bears playing any of their NSW cup games on the CC? If not, surely that would be a start?

Timmah

Staff member
Given the Storm currently hold the agreement I'd beg to differ - Norths currently tied to Souths... having said that I'm sure the agreements should be arranged. Funny how you're so for expansion but when it doesn't suit your/Perth's needs you're suddenly against it ;-)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not at all, but realisitic that it may come down to an "us or them" situation so understandably I support the Reds inclusion.

Personally I would love for the NRL to have the leadership to be in a situation like ESL where they are admitting one heartland and one true expansion area.

My ideal world would be

2012 CC and Reds
2016 Brisbane2 and Wellington
2020 PNG and Adelaide

That would basically give RL the international and national profile to beat everyone hands down. Unfrtuantely I think it is just a pipedream as RL has always been hindered by incompitent administrators and see nothing much changing in the future.

Doesn't stop the questions being asked about what the Bears are doing to establish themselves in Gosford right now though does it?

Timmah

Staff member
I don't see why it would come down to us vs them - two teams is the ideal to include as it keeps the competition numbers even.

At the same time, I don't think many people understand how cash-strapped a game like RL is, and how especially dangerous it would be to start a new venture in the current economic climate. Expansion like this has the potential to cripple the resources of our game and even with the best administration it could be a struggle to keep the competition afloat.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't see why it would come down to us vs them - two teams is the ideal to include as it keeps the competition numbers even.

At the same time, I don't think many people understand how cash-strapped a game like RL is, and how especially dangerous it would be to start a new venture in the current economic climate. Expansion like this has the potential to cripple the resources of our game and even with the best administration it could be a struggle to keep the competition afloat.

1st, point money! Gallop has shown he is a very cautious and unadventerous CEO. Much much easier (and cheaper) to introduce one team, and a heartland one at that.

2nd point, damned if we do, damned if we don't! Most recognise the game needs to grow and into new markets. Gallop himself has said on numerous occasions it is one of the reasons that the NRL doesn't get comparative media and corporative funding. Problem is, as you say, economic times look to be heading for hardship. Can the NRL sit on its hands for the next 10 years though?

adamkungl

Immortal
1st, point money! Gallop has shown he is a very cautious and unadventerous CEO. Much much easier (and cheaper) to introduce one team, and a heartland one at that.

2nd point, damned if we do, damned if we don't! Most recognise the game needs to grow and into new markets. Gallop himself has said on numerous occasions it is one of the reasons that the NRL doesn't get comparative media and corporative funding. Problem is, as you say, economic times look to be heading for hardship. Can the NRL sit on its hands for the next 10 years though?

Based on that (the bolded bit) surely CC would be chosen over Perth. But Perth would be far more valuable in terms of corporate support, TV support, and new fans.

Red Bear

Referee
I think the CC and Perth should be the next two sides in. Personally i think the Bears are being a tad ambitious with a 2011 goal, 2013/14 would be more realistic IMO with Perth a couple of seasons after that but hey i wont be compaining if we were to be included in the comp as early as 2011

Timmah

Staff member
If the Bears can get funding there's no reason they can't be included in 2010 let alone 2011.

Timmah

Staff member
Maybe, but the rest of it will come together pretty quickly.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
With the new TV deal not kicking in till 2013 are we likely to see any expansion before then?

I don't see why not. The last tv deal was cut short so that we could renegotiate the $$ when the Gold Coast joined. If the NRL decides to bring in another team or two in 2011 then I don't see why they won't do the same thing again.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I think the CC and Perth should be the next two sides in. Personally i think the Bears are being a tad ambitious with a 2011 goal, 2013/14 would be more realistic IMO with Perth a couple of seasons after that but hey i wont be compaining if we were to be included in the comp as early as 2011

The GC joined in 2007, look at where they were at in 2004 and see how the CC Bears bid compares to that (keep in mind that the CC already has a stadium which was the main thing that held back the original GC bid.)

Loudstrat

Coach
Exactly. The GC signed Preston Campbell, then Scotty Prince. The rest of the dominoes fell into place after that.

Does anyone know who is behind the latest bid? Flo seems to be the mouthpiece, but who is behind him? The GC bid had Paul Broughton - one of League's most intelligent. Is Singo involved?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Exactly. The GC signed Preston Campbell, then Scotty Prince. The rest of the dominoes fell into place after that.

Does anyone know who is behind the latest bid? Flo seems to be the mouthpiece, but who is behind him? The GC bid had Paul Broughton - one of League's most intelligent. Is Singo involved?

Yep, all the CC Bears need is a positive comment or two from Gallop and getting a couple of good CC/NS juniors to agree to sign on if the CC Bears join the NRL in 2011.

I can definitely see the CC bid having that same feelgood factor about it that made the GC bid so popular with RL fans all over the country. Once they get that widespread community support there's not much that the NRL will be able to do to stop them joining.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Yep, all the CC Bears need is a positive comment or two from Gallop and getting a couple of good CC/NS juniors to agree to sign on if the CC Bears join the NRL in 2011.

I can definitely see the CC bid having that same feelgood factor about it that made the GC bid so popular with RL fans all over the country. Once they get that widespread community support there's not much that the NRL will be able to do to stop them joining.

Well, Gallop and the NRL in the lat 10 years have ensured that (a) the CC Bears did not get a go and (2) by promising $8 million for relocation (but NOT for the Bears) that the CC Bears was zero chance of happening.

Clearly, there are many at the NRL and News Limited - just listen to that idiot Chesterton's anti-Bears rants - that hate the idea of the Bears being back. Why? No-one knows - but it's there - and has to be dealt with.

Fein

First Grade
Clearly, there are many at the NRL and News Limited - just listen to that idiot Chesterton's anti-Bears rants - that hate the idea of the Bears being back. Why? No-one knows - but it's there - and has to be dealt with.

It's because the team he supported, Balmain, had to merge.

Don't worry Ronny, he also hates Souths.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Well, Gallop and the NRL in the lat 10 years have ensured that (a) the CC Bears did not get a go and (2) by promising $8 million for relocation (but NOT for the Bears) that the CC Bears was zero chance of happening.

You should read the following article:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/09/1078594368495.html

It's time Gallop dropped the games and did the right thing.

mightybears

Bench
It's because the team he supported, Balmain, had to merge.

Don't worry Ronny, he also hates Souths.

Ray hates pretty much everyone, he has been peddling rumour/writing desperate rubbish to fill columns for a very long time and continues to make some of his new corp journo mates look intelligent and balanced [presumably the reason he hasn't been show the door by now!?].

Perth Red

Post Whore
How come there has been no support from Singo up to now? I would of thougt they would need his full support and $'s to make it happen?

Reading that article makes me realise how poor the NRL are at planning for the future. It was clear reading it they had little clue about who, when or where expansion would take place. Nothing much has changed in 5 years!

Latest posts