What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beau Scott/Matt Prior - try/no try

Prior try, Scott no-try?

• Total voters

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I never suggested everyone agree with me. Judging by the 240-odd posts thus far and 51-48% poll result, this was clearly a contentious call. At no point am I suggesting it cost us the game (there were 60-odd minutes after it to rectify the situation, we failed to), I put it up for debate.

Suggesting our supporters are "whingeing" because we dare discuss what is clearly a divisive issue is pretty sad.

And I hate it when you're sad.

Big Pete

Referee
Seems like more neutrals sided with the Dogs too.

It was certainly worthy of discussion, have we received any official word yet from Harrigan?

EDIT: Just saw they agreed with the call. Fair enough.

Gaba

First Grade
The dogs fans particular timmah is just thriving off this, whether they are in the right or not

Timmah

Staff member
Seems like more neutrals sided with the Dogs too.

It was certainly worthy of discussion, have we received any official word yet from Harrigan?

EDIT: Just saw they agreed with the call. Fair enough.

I’m comfortable with the decision, but I agree that it is a 50-50 call. What I think is important with this try is watching it in normal speed, when you see it live the timing is just acceptable. When you watch it in slow-motion, it distorts it and makes you second guess whether the tackle has been completed or not. On this one, I go with the normal speed and I think it was ok.

http://www.nrl.com/official-view-refs-on-right-track/tabid/10874/newsid/62802/default.aspx

Sounds like he admits it was 50/50 to me...

big pat

Coach
I never suggested everyone agree with me. Judging by the 240-odd posts thus far and 51-48% poll result, this was clearly a contentious call. At no point am I suggesting it cost us the game (there were 60-odd minutes after it to rectify the situation, we failed to), I put it up for debate.

Suggesting our supporters are "whingeing" because we dare discuss what is clearly a divisive issue is pretty sad.

And I hate it when you're sad.

90 for 92 against is hardly a landslide, maybe you could make this a sticky, because their will be a lot more before the season is over.

Timmah

Staff member
landslide?

WTF?

Where did I say landslide? I said contentious, which 51-48% clearly demonstrates.

Version 6

Staff member
So it was awarded by the officials on the night. And the decision has since been supported by the referees boss.

Pretty much kills the issue dead, tbh.

Timmah

Staff member
He didn't really seem that definitive on it - his words make it seem to me like he could've found reason to not award it.

Version 6

Staff member
He definitely agrees that it's a close call. But he says "when you see it live the timing is just acceptable"

So, the event occuring as it did = try.

The event occuring but taking a second longer = no try.

Version 6

Staff member
He then went onto say it was okay.

That's the official word, I don't agree with it but there it is in black and white.

Exactly.

People might not like the fact that it constitutes a try. Which is fine. There is always room for debate about making the rules better.

But the fact is (and its been confirmed now) under the current rules and interpretations, it is a try.

Timmah

Staff member
50/50 means it was a try?

Last I checked 50/50 could've meant it goes either way.

Version 6

Staff member
50/50 means it was a try?

Last I checked 50/50 could've meant it goes either way.

I think you are taking the term "50/50" out of the context of the entire comment.

He said it was acceptable. JUST... But acceptable.

That's the end mate.

Timmah

Staff member
We'll see I guess. I reckon similar scenarios will rear their heads and this sort of decision will become a victim of inconsistency as the season progresses. That's my concern.

Version 6

Staff member
We'll see I guess. I reckon similar scenarios will rear their heads and this sort of decision will become a victim of inconsistency as the season progresses. That's my concern.

Perhaps. Who knows? All we can say for sure at this point is that it's been confirmed that the decision on Friday night was correct. That's been confirmed by those in charge.

If the exact same situation is decidedly differently this season, it will be (again, according to those that matter) decided wrongly.