What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beau Scott/Matt Prior - try/no try

Prior try, Scott no-try?

• Total voters

Frailty

First Grade
Not making excuse and it was a good game from both sides but that was not a try, do it anywhere else on the field and see if it's play on but meh, that's footy and that sh!t happens.

In the same position, Scott would have been allowed to promote the football to ground it, meaning the ball is not dead. As per the laws of the game, the arm carrying the ball did not hit the ground, nor had he surrendered to the tackle.

It looked ugly, but was a fair try.

Packy

Bench
I can see it now.

Getting tackled? No worries. Fall on your back and hold the ball up for someone else on your team to grab it.

Next week! Lineouts!

Rodent

Bench
It was given as a try. It wasn't even given as a benefit of the doubt try, therefore it would seem the video ref thought it was clear cut enough. From what Bill Harrigan says, he'd have given it...just. Perhaps Bill would have used botd. End result is the same.

carcharias

Immortal
no try ..no way ...no how ever.

I have only just seen the footage.

no way on this earth should that been a try.

Also Soward should have been penalised for attempting to kick the ball out of Barba's hands in an earlier tackle.
He nearly got him in the face.

I hope QLD flog the cat.

Western Saint

First Grade
You support the scum so i take it you cant read. Was a try according to the rulebook and Harrigan has confirmed as much.

carcharias

Immortal
that was no try .
he was on the ground , on his back with a tackler on him.

he was going nowhere.
tackled.
ref fugged up.

.and I can't stand the bulldogs.
that is why I didn't watch the game...be like watching manly v manly.

Western Saint

First Grade
Watch it in reg motion, if it had taken another split second to get that ball into prior id agree. Ref made the call its since been backed up by Bill whose already this year made admissions on wrong decisions.

Rodent

Bench
he was going nowhere.
You are correct. However the rules still allow you to offload, even when you are on the ground on your back with a tackler on you and going nowhere....as long as you haven't succumbed and the ball or arm carrying it haven't touched the ground.

aussie7798

First Grade
that was no try .

he was going nowhere.
tackled.
ref fugged up.

here you go although i could not find it demonstrated in pictures so it may be of little use to you

A player in possession brought to his knees or
brought to the ground on his back may still pass the ball – provided
he has not made it evident that he has succumbed to the tackle. He
should not be wrongly penalised otherwise all players will become
reluctant to pass the ball as the tackle nears completion in case they too are penalised

gUt

Coach
The tackle was "near completion" in the sense that it had just been completed. Should have been a penalty. Imagine that try being scored to win the Grand Final - by any team other than the Dragons?

Frailty

First Grade
Question for those he determine it was a no try:

If Beau Scott had placed his hands back and ground the ball over the try line, would you award that try?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The tackle was "near completion" in the sense that it had just been completed.
lol.

Some of these arguments are just hilarious.

My understanding is that at the 75th minute mark the game was "near completion", as in it was completed. Quite clearly the Referee should have called full time five minutes earlier.