What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beer Thread

Desert Qlder

First Grade
All I can say is, American mainstream commercial beers must be diabolical if Sierra Nevada Pale Ale has been considered revolutionary in that market. It is a nice beer no doubt, but the plaudits it has recieved over three decades seem a little over the top.

Still, it is seen as the original in the style of American Pale Ale, and been heavily copied there and here in Australia also. The influence it has had cannot be understated.

There is a distinct aroma of citrus and apple that is appealling, feels nice in the mouth and the taste is pleasant enough. But the bitey aftertaste from the dominant hops I found a little unpleasant for my taste. It's hard to fault the drinkability and it's easy to see why this is a staple in the fridges of yankee beer drinkers. They obviously achieved a balance of malt and hops that has appealed to a large market.

Maybe I just find it hard to get excited by Pale Ales generally, but I won't be buying again. Not to say it isn't worth a try, but at over $20.00 a sixpack there are better deals out there.

Bazal

Post Whore
Mixed 6 pack tonight....

Boston's Mill Pale Ale
4 Pines Pale Ale
Monteiths Autumn Amber
Sierra Nevada Kellerweis
Sierra Nevada Torpedo
Leffe Tripel

Started with the Boston's Mill, it's not bad. Pretty typical pale ale, maybe a bit hoppier. Probably not worth $19 a sixer but nice

A few Thai beers I've had so far:

- Chang, just like a typical Aussie Draught
- Chang Export, just like Chang but 30-50 cents more
- Siamsato, turned out to be rice wine. Tastes like flat cheap apple cider.
- Archa, pick of the beers so far. Says on the label it won an Aust Beer award in 2007 (same logo as the one that appears on Hahn Premium Light).

Red Bear

Referee
Last few days had
- Mac's all malt lager - nice enough, not outstanding but drinkable, not as much malty flavour as I was hoping
- Boddingtons Ale - kept a decent head, easy to drink but again nothing outstanding.
- Roger's beer - decent enough for a midstrength but really not much separated it from, say XXXX Gold, nothing great
- Newcastle Brown Ale - Drinkable again without being anything amazing

dogslife

Coach
Pommy beer is horrid imo. I once tried that Boddington's, terrible. There's a reason the most popular beers there are from overseas

Red Bear

Referee
Pommy beer is horrid imo. I once tried that Boddington's, terrible. There's a reason the most popular beers there are from overseas
Been discussing this at uni lately with this Pommy chick in our group. She was saying how she loves a warm flat ale (like most pommy beer). The thing is I guess those beers suit the freezing cold Northern England weather. Whereas here if it's 35 degrees outside you want your beer cold, real cold. So pommy beer doesnt always translate brilliantly out here.

There's a talent to making a beer both cold and flavoursome, as the slightly warmer serving temps of english beers (and much more so, irish beers) lend themselves to better flavour.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
It's a bit of a myth that in the UK they all drink warm beers. Sure, the only time I've ever drank Foster's was in a home in Northampton and it was offered to me from the cupboard. But generally speaking the 'Cold' Lagers dominate there.

Beers such as the aforementioned Foster's, Carling, Tennent's (Scotland), Miller's and a host of others I don't care to remember prevail in pubs there. In the large cities anyhow. The large macro-breweries have come to dominant the beer market in the UK just as much as in the States and here in Australia.

Trips to country pubs reveal more of the more traditional Cask Ales pulled directly from the barrel. And most of these are definitely worth a try, even if they do not suit your tastes.

Flapper

First Grade
Been discussing this at uni lately with this Pommy chick in our group. She was saying how she loves a warm flat ale (like most pommy beer). The thing is I guess those beers suit the freezing cold Northern England weather. Whereas here if it's 35 degrees outside you want your beer cold, real cold. So pommy beer doesnt always translate brilliantly out here.

There's a talent to making a beer both cold and flavoursome, as the slightly warmer serving temps of english beers (and much more so, irish beers) lend themselves to better flavour.

Of course the only time I was in London was in the middle of one of their heatwaves, which led me to chill my Newcastle Brown Ale in an ice bucket much to the horror of my friends oop north. But as I said to them, when the room temp is 35 degrees i pretty much have no choice, merkins :lol:

Bazal

Post Whore
12 pack of Schofferhofer Hefe for 30 bucks...and an 8 pack of Budvar 500ml bottles for 30 bucks. My weekend is set

Claret Robin

Juniors
It's a bit of a myth that in the UK they all drink warm beers. Sure, the only time I've ever drank Foster's was in a home in Northampton and it was offered to me from the cupboard. But generally speaking the 'Cold' Lagers dominate there.

Trips to country pubs reveal more of the more traditional Cask Ales pulled directly from the barrel. And most of these are definitely worth a try, even if they do not suit your tastes.

Living in Nottingham, we have plenty of decent pubs which don't sell the mass market rubbish you can get everywhere else.

The absolute bottom of the barrel is Carling Lager. it tastes like androtop ends. favoured by those who take 24 cans on a day trip to Skegness.

Anyway, i've been drinking "UBU" by Purity Brewery for the last two days.
Bought some in the supermarket at the weekend, and when out for the day yesterday, found it in the pub! not bad at all.

Bazal

Post Whore
Oh, and if you don't do well with preservatives, be prepared to be sicker than you've ever been mang

dogslife

Coach
12 pack of Schofferhofer Hefe for 30 bucks...and an 8 pack of Budvar 500ml bottles for 30 bucks. My weekend is set

Wow, cheap! Schofferhofer I can do 2-3 but after a while the flavour just overwhelms. Budvar I could drink all day

Bazal

Post Whore
Yeah I'm gonna have to pick up a few more of those Budvar 8 packs...thats really good value

Chang Clasic, 6.4% ABV of pure evil. Don't think I've ever had a hangover like the one I had a few days ago. Sticking with Singha now, easier drink and only 5% ABV.

Latest posts