What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beers cost footy players three days in recovery

People keep saying that like it is some sort of mantra. Is it true? Why should a group of young men who earn up to 10 times the average wage be representative of wider society?

For one - they are vastly fitter than the rest of us and possess extraordinary talents both physically and mentally.

They are not representative of wider society at all - they are an elite group. I would expect the differences that make them NRL players are also reflected in other traits as well.

Yeah. I think Kiki wants footy players to be extraordinary men AND at the same time be accessible by cheap party girls and groupies. But great men and groupies simply do not mix I`m afraid, Kiki :cool:.

Sir Biffo

Bench
im not making excuses. i simply think that footy players should have the same rights to enjoy their lives, like everyone else.

And there's the problem.

Footy players "need" alcohol to enjoy their lives. They have a couple of months off during the off season, two bye weeks when they can go mad, get absolutely blotto, take nude pictures of themselves, whatever.

But for the season, is it that hard to go for a month off the grog? Going out for beers if you have a Friday night game and don't have a game till the next Monday, and in bye weeks means you can still drink far far more than the average athlete at the AIS busting their hump to exist on a meagre government sponsorship.

hrundi99

First Grade
first and for-most, the idea that lactic acid is what causes pain after a arobic session was disproved by physiologist about 3 years ago. Lactic acid is removed from your blood stream in 3 seconds. To slow this process down isn't a big deal because it might now stay in your body for 20 seconds (guess?) but not doing any damage, so you will just feel the effects for a little bit longer.

Alcohol is high in carbohydrates but will not be stored, so it is actually good for recovery after physical activity, plus an increase in blood flow will actually promote healing by promoting oxygen carried to your muscles.
Beer is very hight in carbs, and great fro carb loading which is essential when trying to increase strength.

Liver function does not play a role in recovery, liver also does not play a role in digestion. Digestion is caried out by the intestines (mainly small) and a little bit in the stomach. The liver removes toxins from your body, so unless you drink posin the night before it will not have a major effect on you.The only real issue with alcohol is the effect the next day (hang over) and that is from drinking to much and becoming dehydrated. Alcohol in moderation is actually good for you... and that is information I got from 3 years of a medical science degree, and a med degree. Not some arty farty wikipedia sorced grovel

I think I'll go with the study instead of your 3 years at the uni bar...

hrundi99

First Grade
I don't buy these 'scientific studies'. It's basically a bunch of Masters students doing a bit of research and coming to a generic conclusion. If you read the newspapers every single week there's dozens of stories stating "recent studies have shown that... bla bla bla".

The amount of time, money and effort wasted trying to work out the best way for people to lose weight is highly disturbing.

I take this article with a grain of salt.

What a stupid concept of "logic" you have...

macavity

Referee
And there's the problem.

Footy players "need" alcohol to enjoy their lives. They have a couple of months off during the off season, two bye weeks when they can go mad, get absolutely blotto, take nude pictures of themselves, whatever.

But for the season, is it that hard to go for a month off the grog? Going out for beers if you have a Friday night game and don't have a game till the next Monday, and in bye weeks means you can still drink far far more than the average athlete at the AIS busting their hump to exist on a meagre government sponsorship.

bingo

admission time

I would be lucky to have one beer a month. The taste is ok, but just don't enjoy the sensation of being tipsy/drunk (im also a very cheap drunk, possibly because of this). I basically only drink when my old man buys one for me and insists I have a drink with him.... then he drinks three to my one.

I just don't understand how alcohol represents "a good time"...

even when I was a younger, single man - I would go out with my mates (who would get blotto) - and as the guy that didn't need alcohol to have a good time, I was the one going home with a nice bird at the end of the night, while they got in fights or spewed in the gutter....

Parra

Referee
bingo

admission time

I would be lucky to have one beer a month. The taste is ok, but just don't enjoy the sensation of being tipsy/drunk (im also a very cheap drunk, possibly because of this). I basically only drink when my old man buys one for me and insists I have a drink with him.... then he drinks three to my one.

I just don't understand how alcohol represents "a good time"...

even when I was a younger, single man - I would go out with my mates (who would get blotto) - and as the guy that didn't need alcohol to have a good time, I was the one going home with a nice bird at the end of the night, while they got in fights or spewed in the gutter....

So you hang around bars sober, and pick up drunk "birds". I prefer the behaviour of your drunk mates.

Sir Biffo

Bench
So you hang around bars sober, and pick up drunk "birds". I prefer the behaviour of your drunk mates.

:lol:

So anyone who goes to a bar and doesn't drink is a creep?

There is a difference between going to a bar, not drinking and picking up and going to a bar, not drinking with the intention of picking up the most drunk bag in the room.

A root is a root but.

Parra

Referee
:lol:

So anyone who goes to a bar and doesn't drink is a creep?

There is a difference between going to a bar, not drinking and picking up and going to a bar, not drinking with the intention of picking up the most drunk bag in the room.

A root is a root but.

You answered your own question quite well.

macavity

Referee

drunk birds are no good, they can't perform

if you were able to pick up sober birds you would know the difference

I don't buy these 'scientific studies'. It's basically a bunch of Masters students doing a bit of research and coming to a generic conclusion. If you read the newspapers every single week there's dozens of stories stating "recent studies have shown that... bla bla bla".

The amount of time, money and effort wasted trying to work out the best way for people to lose weight is highly disturbing.

I take this article with a grain of salt.

You're right. Science is nonsense. What good did it ever do? We'd be much better off without it.

floating pie

Juniors
Yesterday we were warned of the health dangers associated with alcohol - not to mention bacon, ham and sausages.

Today there is more cheering news from a different set of scientists.

They have come up with the perfect excuse for heading to the pub after a game of football or rugby.

Their research has shown that a glass of beer is far better at rehydrating the body after exercise than water.
Beer benefits: Researchers suspect that the sugars, salts and bubbles in a pint may help people absorb fluids more quickly.

The finding, which comes from a study at Granada University in Spain, will be welcome news for the legions of evening and weekend sports enthusiasts who enjoy a postmatch pint.

It will also ease the worries of those still digesting the report from the cancer experts who linked alcohol and other products to an increased risk of some forms of the disease.

Professor Manuel Garzon, of Granada's medical faculty, made his discovery after tests on 25 students over several months.

They were asked to run on a treadmill under stifling temperatures of 40C (104F) until they were close to exhaustion.

Once they were on the point of giving up, researchers measured their hydration levels, concentrationability and motor skills.

Half were then given two half pints of Spanish lager to drink, while the rest were given water.

Both groups were then allowed to drink as much water as they wanted.

Professor Garzon said the rehydration effect in the students who were given beer was "slightly better" than among those given only water.

He believes the carbon dioxide in beer helps quench the thirst more quickly, while beer's carbohydrates replace calories lost during physical exertion.

Based on the studies, the researchers have recommended moderate consumption of beer - 500ml a day for men or 250ml for women - as part of an athlete's diet.

A typical person loses around a litre of water for every hour of exercise in sweat.

People who fail to rehydrate after exercise are more likely to feel tired, fuzzyheaded and suffer headaches.

A spokesman for the Campaign for Real Ale said "moderate levels" of beer had beneficial health effects.

Past studies have shown that sensible drinking of one or two units a day can reduce the risk of heart disease, dementia, diabetes and Parkinson's disease, he said.

The ingredients of beer - which include malted barley, hops and yeast - are rich sources of vitamins and minerals.

Dr James Betts, an expert in post-exercise rehydration at Bath University, said: "People think of alcohol as being a diuretic, but if you are already hydrated, a small amount of beer could be a way of getting the fluid in."

The best way of rehydrating after exercise was with a sports drink containing sugars, water and salt, he added.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-491236/A-pint-beer-better-workout-water-say-scientists.html

Ask yourself how many of them earn more than the prime minister, and then ask yourself whether they shouldn't be making some kind of leisure time sacrifices for the privilege - for their own sake as well as that of their employer (club) and industry (league).

How many rugby league players get a life long pension like the Prime Minister?

They might earn more a year for a few years, but over the course of their life won't earn sh*t like the Prime Minister does.

And footballers and politicians don't earn sh*t compared to multi national CEO's.

Kiki

First Grade
Yeah. I think Kiki wants footy players to be extraordinary men AND at the same time be accessible by cheap party girls and groupies. But great men and groupies simply do not mix I`m afraid, Kiki :cool:.

i know you're a troll but .....why the hell would i want the boys to be accessible by 'cheap party girls' and groupies? i am neither. nor do i know any girls like that. why would i care if the boys are accesible to those sorts??

btw i dont think they are all 'great men'. i just dont like seeing them being crucified for sh*t that in the scheme of things is fairly mild.

seanoff

Juniors
im not making excuses. i simply think that footy players should have the same rights to enjoy their lives, like everyone else.

no they don't have the same rights. they are paid to be professional athletes. their bodies are their livelihood, they should be doing everything in their power to keep themselves in peak physical condition. esp in a heavy body contact sport like league where on top of the exercise component there is the getting smashed bit.

those at the upper end of the pay scale should be role models for the younger and less well paid players at their club.

look a couple of beers (and i mean 2) maybe on your day off, but going out and getting totaled like the average suburban bloke is just not on.

every job has it's trade offs, most accountants/lawyers probably would prefer not to go to work in suits and those in the big firms, expensive suits. i own a shop, i'd prefer not to work 7 days a week, but i do. NRL players may have to give up drinking like the average bloke, poor things.

bartman

Immortal
Stop talking sense here seanoff!

You'll be shouted down by people upset that elite well-paid professional athletes have to make huge sacrifices for their choice of life path, like maybe lowering their intake of beer...

Kiki

First Grade
eh...i dont agree. but whatever. we all have our own view on things.

no they don't have the same rights. they are paid to be professional athletes. their bodies are their livelihood, they should be doing everything in their power to keep themselves in peak physical condition. esp in a heavy body contact sport like league where on top of the exercise component there is the getting smashed bit.

those at the upper end of the pay scale should be role models for the younger and less well paid players at their club.

look a couple of beers (and i mean 2) maybe on your day off, but going out and getting totaled like the average suburban bloke is just not on.

every job has it's trade offs, most accountants/lawyers probably would prefer not to go to work in suits and those in the big firms, expensive suits. i own a shop, i'd prefer not to work 7 days a week, but i do. NRL players may have to give up drinking like the average bloke, poor things.

Footy players aren't the average suburban bloke, yes, but it's going to get to the stage where we'll hear about this constantly in an off-season...there are times they just gotta have lives, don't go over the top obviously. Don't wanna piss them off, just because some people take it too far.

first and for-most, the idea that lactic acid is what causes pain after a arobic session was disproved by physiologist about 3 years ago. Lactic acid is removed from your blood stream in 3 seconds. To slow this process down isn't a big deal because it might now stay in your body for 20 seconds (guess?) but not doing any damage, so you will just feel the effects for a little bit longer.

Alcohol is high in carbohydrates but will not be stored, so it is actually good for recovery after physical activity, plus an increase in blood flow will actually promote healing by promoting oxygen carried to your muscles.
Beer is very hight in carbs, and great fro carb loading which is essential when trying to increase strength.

Liver function does not play a role in recovery, liver also does not play a role in digestion. Digestion is caried out by the intestines (mainly small) and a little bit in the stomach. The liver removes toxins from your body, so unless you drink posin the night before it will not have a major effect on you.The only real issue with alcohol is the effect the next day (hang over) and that is from drinking to much and becoming dehydrated. Alcohol in moderation is actually good for you... and that is information I got from 3 years of a medical science degree, and a med degree. Not some arty farty wikipedia sorced grovel

wow, another expert. Read on, expert, and learn....

Look man, sorry to be so frank with you, but take a hike.

Did you know that different studies often contradict themselves? - sure you'd know that. The results of one study mean little....it usually takes years of testing and studies to gain anything substantial....sure you'd know that.

We know some of the effects of alcohol, and not everything, but more of that after. For now, you'd know alcohol kills brain cells, and actually [a shock to you obviously] inhibits recovery.

Its one thing to talk about athletes drinking, and its the same with footballers - or anyone who trains....basically, the more you train the more you have to lose is all.

So get off your emotional train. You're wrong.

You have said nothing profound. In fact, much of what you said is totally misleading, and if i were you, i'd check my facts. Doc....i'm telling you to seek a second opinion....Discounting what i said is perhaps not the best path to have taken. I know that most of what you say is completely in the wrong context, or entirely not true to our discussion....

The main point of my post is as follows : drinking alcohol after training is not ideal. Such non ideal behavior has the potential to cost a team performance.

I think you will find that we are only now just starting to discover the true effects of alcohol. To come on here and suggest alcohol is GOOD for recovery is ludicrous.

Look, i went out and found a counter-study. You too could go out and find one to counter mine, but thats not the point of this....the point is that alcohol is not a recovery device - ITS A HINDERANCE!

http://coachdeanhebert.wordpress.com/2009/01/21/alcohol-effects-on-recovery-study-a-review/

Let me assure you, no wait, you would probably know, that studies vary wildly in their effectiveness....how controlled they are, under what circumstances, all the way down to seemingly insignificant details.

Wait, dude, I went and did my OWN study.....i stayed off alcohol for a long time, never touched a drink, and over the course of about 8 months of physical training (weights and running), i stacked on 15kgs of mass, the majority of it was muscle. Now, one of my friends, whom I know shares the same potential as me, did what i did to 90% of the total, and managed to stack on a mere 8kgs. I know this to be true, because when i rub it in his face, theres a glint in his eye. Guess what, he likes a drink, and sorry he says, but he can't go without it. He loves a drink or two throughout the week. I trained with him, and while i sucked down a protien shake, he would have his shake then head to the pub at least once, if not twice a week, of our 4 night regeme. I'm no expert, but it speaks volumes. Thats my study, and the guy had more guts than sense.

There may have been other mitigating factors like metabolism, whatever....but you can bet your house on the fact that his acoholic past times and probably thus leading to an attitude shift in him, had a massive impact on his RESULTS.

You may also realise that not everything in the world is black and white. Sure, you say, increased bloodflow is FANTASTIC. But there are far better ways to get increased bloodflow.

Beer is good for Carb loading? Don't get me started about carb loading....i read that part and laughed really hard. Ok, buddy. Look. There are so many sources of carbs out there, its not funny. High glycemic carbs, from dextrose and maltodextrin, i think you will find are the perfect choices after training. NOT BEER. If you want something a little more long term, oats, etc....the idea is to keep the blood-sugar high, and yes your muscles store some carbs, so does your liver, but guess what, a whole heap goes into fat if you have too much, so its a balancing act.

The whole digestion thing? Get yourself a bucket of ice and cold water, lift it high and dump it on your head. If you have beer in your gut, plus a protien/carb shake, plus a block of chocolate, would that not be worse than having just the shake? Your digestive system has to process more....you are better off loading up on good things, but even then in moderation, as the excess glucose, once converted from the food, only stays in your system for a period of time, before it goes to fat. Yes, you can get more carbs in your muscles from this, but you need to balance it with the right training. ATP energy can be increased with explosive-like training as opposed to training like a marathon runner. Its got more to do with how you train in certain regards. Looking just at digestion is skipping a whole heap of happenings. And before we leave this part.....what of the yeast in beer? This junk stays in your gut along with the protien and the rest of it (and they all have differing digestion times) but why should you make your body sift through crap to get to the good stuff?

No....if you want optimal results, you need optimal ways to go about it. But alcohol is another story....it may not stop you from winning, but it will sure as heck help you lose. And the truth is, thats THE SAME THING.

In truth we cannot have a proper discussion about this, its too complex. Thats why i wrote it in a nutshell when i said : any traning regiment consists of 3 parts, nutrition - training - rest. You need all 3 supporting each other and in the right amounts.

Don't get me started about sports nutrition.

For anyone who trains, the quicker you are back to the closest you can get to 100%, the better. Its as simple as that. Stay off alcohol. Yeah, one type is meant to be good for you - red wine - and yes red wine has antioxidants...yippee....but even a study came out and said that the positive effects are outweighed by the negatives.

Also, pal, look at bias in your post grad....you may find that beer/wine companies conduct said research and shape it for their own gain.

Its like this everywhere, and especially in the bodybuilding arena. Always check your source, and I stay of wiki mate.....With all the products you see in bodybuilding for example, only the protien powders/amino acids and creatine are worth your while. They have conclusive evidence from years of research.

No where will you ever see a true-blue report about alcohol being of positive benefit to training....no where...it may have a few good points, if you believe that in of itself, but in no way is it totally beneficial, and in fact its actually detrimental.

Its true, too, that they let players drink to appease their need for 'a life' and so be it, but its just my beleif it should be at a strict minimal amount.

Like i said, the only time should be after a game, as this is the longest time b4 they have to get back into it. And then only in small amounts.

BTW, lactic acid is only your bodies way of putting the breaks on muscles. The pain is from the fact that your muscles are shredded up from the exertions. Without lactic acid, your muscles would gleefully go on until they either 1. ran out of energy or 2. snap.

BTW2, liver function certainly plays a major role in joining up amino acids into usable protein, and um, as a part of your digestion system, yeah man, don't you think it plays its part in recovery too? I ask you this, so think on it. Everything goes through the liver at least once, same with kidneys, all the parts....they ALL play a role in recovery. Liver joins up proteins, so its a MAJOR player.

BTW3, ever heard that alcohol is a poison? You are having a bad night, aren't you? The liver actually removes alcohol. Its considered a toxin/poison by the body. I've taken the liberty of providing you with a web site to better explain the flaw in your thinking....that your wonder-substance, alcohol, is actually a poison, to be broken down and (aparently) harmlessly exited the body in urine. http://www.mydr.com.au/gastrointestinal-health/liver-and-alcohol-breakdown

What did you major in? Cosmetic surgery?

I enjoyed writing this as much as you enjoyed cringing at it.

I hope this is no profanity to you, but you sound like a quack atm. An apprentice is not a real tradie.....

Back to the books for you, huh. And some life experience, a broader perspective. I have faith in your ability even so.... you'll be fine.

Last edited:

Latest posts