What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ben hornby = useless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Efresh

Coach
First try was his fault, he didn't trust Cooper to clean up G Stewart. Second try he just got fooled by a nice move from B Stewart, and better defenders than him have suffered that fate.

TheRev

First Grade
Brett Stewarts passes were freaky.. very very flat.. possibly forward, but so fast it was very hard to defend.. but I think Flo is struggling a bit on the left side, I mean hes a champion obviously, but there is 5-10% lost, which would be instinct to him on the right.

possm

Coach
I wish people would stop sticking up for Hornby. He has been a good player and a fine club Captain; played more games for the Dragons than anyone else. All of these facts are great memories.

Hornby has stayed on a year too long. Some players find it hard to hang up the boots and Hornby is one of them.

Unfortunately the Dragons have got to tap him on the shoulder and say its about time Ben.

Stanley to 7 coming off the bench and if he does not work out replace him with King and if he doesn't work out, Price and Doust had better recruit a halfback for next year.

Really Hornby is now a liability to the team and the sooner Price faces this fact the better.

64 Dragon

Coach
Brett Stewarts passes were freaky.. very very flat.. possibly forward, but so fast it was very hard to defend.. but I think Flo is struggling a bit on the left side, I mean hes a champion obviously, but there is 5-10% lost, which would be instinct to him on the right.

You are right about the forward passes. It is one of my pet hates, especially from dummy half. Manly scored at least two of their tries from forward passes.

The commentators (Voss, Warren) never pick them up. Listen to Hadley, he is always on about them. Not that he can help. Why can't the linesmen see them. That's what they're there for.

Anyway I'm totally pi**ed off.

Breathingfire

Juniors
There was nothing wrong with any of the Manly tries. Forget Billy Slater, I'd have Snake over him any day of the week.

Hornby's time has definitely come...as sad as that is. He is past it and there is no denying that.

hardbaby

Coach
Hornby looked frustrated all night. He was always a really solid player but there are a lot of mistakes that have crept into his game and his lateral defence is shaky (due to lack of speed). I think we all know he is there until the end of the season but I really, really hope he calls it a day. I would rather a young guy climbing up the ladder than an old guy sliding down the snake.

redvwhite

Juniors
Hornby looked frustrated all night. He was always a really solid player but there are a lot of mistakes that have crept into his game and his lateral defence is shaky (due to lack of speed). I think we all know he is there until the end of the season but I really, really hope he calls it a day. I would rather a young guy climbing up the ladder than an old guy sliding down the snake.

Every now and then it looks like he is trying too hard, as if he is more aware than anyone of how docile our attack is. I think that's where the mistakes come in. Him trying to reinvent himself. Got to love his passion for the dragons but, yes, the time has well and truly come... About 8 months ago.

TheRev

First Grade
Whos your captain if Hornby doesnt play halfback though?

I know Hornby has had a couple of bad weeks, he is obviously stressed/frustrated with on/off field matters, but if we sacked players after a couple of errors, we wouldnt have a team.

Hornby touches the ball a lot more than most other players, and he is one of the few players who looks good running at the line, I dont know if Kyle is ready for that responsibility? King im interested in too, I just dont know the kids well enough to know if they have the skills.. really relying on Price for that.

Fire

First Grade
This is f**ked. We've got a thread titled 'ben hornby = useless', and there's 170 odd posts on it. As me old China Derryn Hinch would say, "shame, shame, shame".

country_dragon

Juniors
Hornby is an old school sentimentalist me things.. Perhaps they should play the national anthem before the game? The last time they did that (Anzac Day), Hornby put in a blinder, had a hand in everything and took Man of the Match too. Just a thought...

blacklock

Juniors
All I have to say is "remember 2010".
michael jordan was an amazing player, yet even he realised he had to tap out to the younger players. he cant exactly turn around and say "remember the 90s". we have to live in the now. doesnt denigrate his contributions in previous seasons to assess his current form.

having said that i hope he perks up so we can atleast make the finals. not like i want the guy to not do well.

possm

Coach
Some of the guys on here think we have enough spare cap money to sign up every "marquee" player that becomes available.

Do you know how much cap is left? I don't know. However my best guess is that:

Cap
Gaz, Boyd, Cuthbo, Green, Greenfield, and a few other fringe players left
A few fringe players come on board
Some contracts were upgraded
My guess is that the Dragons have about 650K left in our cap for 2012

Coaching Staff
Wayne Benett and his coaching / support team left
Price and his team came in
My guess is that we are up about 300K on the difference in coaches salary alone

So providing Doust has not spent the money on something more important, we should have about 950K to spend with a cap of 650k.

The cap is not able to be carried foward for next year, so if you dont use it this year it is gone forever.

Why then don't we offer to buy Jennings now for say 450k p/a? I am sure Penrith would agree to provide some subsidy which would bring him close to the value of his current contract.

Must be because the money has been spent on something more important.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts