What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ben hornby = useless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire

First Grade
^ I'm no computer whiz, but I think Moderators may be able to see your ISP Address.

64 Dragon

Coach
Was it you, Mr "Guest Moderator" who banned me? Does a "guest moderator" have the power to do that? Anyway, as for me having 2 accounts, believe what ever you want. I don't care about that but don't ban me again!

Whose giving the orders around here?

Father Ted

First Grade
Go for it, just bag out Doust for everything that's wrong, but give him no credit for any success he's been involved in delivering.
Fact: we are the only club not privately owned which has won a GF in the past 5 seasons.

Part fact I'd suggest

St.George Leader - Tuesday, March 21, 2006

By Brad Forrest

St.George-Illawarra Dragons are not for sale, at any price.

This was the message yesterday from Dragons chief executive Peter
Doust and the Dragons' biggest stakeholder, St.George Leagues Club,
now rolling in cash once again.

Speculation the Dragons, one of the NRL glamour clubs, could be sold
stemmed from the 24 per cent shareholding WIN TV secured last week -
one week before St.George Leagues' Club board elections and its
annual general meeting.

Members have until this Thursday to vote on three positions, with
Leagues Club and Dragons chairman Warren Lockwood, former Dragons
chief executive Brian Johnston and businessman Ralph Piggott up for
re-election at this Sunday's AGM.

They face challenges from the Dragons activist group R2K (Return To
Kogarah) which has put up Troy Felice, Nick Stojanovski and James
Young as alternatives.

The financially hard-hit Illawarra Steelers sold off almost half of
their shareholding in the joint venture club to WIN, allowing the
Steelers to repay most of the $8 million loaned to them by St.George
Leagues Club.

Danny Robinson said yesterday that the cash payment of $6.34 million
off the principle debt and $160,000 in interest places St.George
Leagues Club in a "sound financial position", with $10 million in
cash reserves.

Robinson made it clear St.George would not be selling off its 50 per
cent shareholding in the Dragons. And Peter Doust said the club
was "not for sale, at $50 million or any price. Not while St.George
and the Illawarra Steelers are involved in the business of
propagating rugby league."

Andrew Gordon, executive chairman of WIN Corporation and owner of
Australia's largest regional television network, said at last week's
announcement that he did not intend for the district to "lose
hosting NRL matches to WIN Stadium".

The deal is conditional on the Dragons arranging a new licence
agreement with the NRL until 2011 and negotiating a similar-term
agreement with Wollongong Sportsground Trust to allow WIN Stadium to
host half of the Dragons' home matches, along with an NRL pre-season
fixture annually.

Andrew Gordon will be appointed to the Dragons board as one of the
Steelers representatives, along with WIN Corporation chief executive
George Papadopoulos, in an ex-officio capacity.

Warren Lockwood said an essential component of the Dragons strategy
was "sustaining viability of the Steelers and their contribution to
the Dragons".

He said the repayment of capital and interest on loans will enable
the St.George licensed club to plan for its next phase of
refurbishment and better cope with the pressure from increasing
poker machine tax.

Doust said a cynical person might suggest the Dragons would have
been better off "battling along without the Steelers and not playing
in Wollongong".

"However, we would not have managed to develop the might of our vast
rugby league power base, stretching from here right through to
Batemans Bay and which rivals the Penrith and Parramatta districts,
even Brisbane."

Robinson said while the Steelers had experienced loan repayment
difficulties, they had, in fact, contributed $900,000 in cash into
the joint venture partnership in the past two years."

"In a commercial sense, it was better the Steelers contributed to
the football side of things and not to the tax-man," he said.

Privately, they're worried

St.George Leader - Tuesday, March 21, 2006

St.George lobby group R2K is concerned about the precedent of
private investment in the St.George-Illawarra Dragons.

"If you can awake one morning and discover that 24 per cent of the
Dragons has been bought by a private company such as WIN TV, what
checks and balances are in place to stop St.George and Illawarra
from selling the remainder of the Dragons without consultation from
members?" Dragons board candidate James Young said.

R2K is running three candidates for this week's St.George Leagues
Club election and a key policy of its campaign is that the Illawarra
Steelers should be charged full interest on their $8.29 million
concessional loan with St.George Leagues.

R2K believes the Illawarra Steelers will still struggle to meet
their funding commitments to the Dragons.

Young said: "I'm sure club members welcome the return of essential
funds, but it must be remembered that the Steelers have failed to
pay interest on just over a million dollars in the last 12 months.
While the WIN rescue package reduces the Steelers' debt crisis,
nothing has changed to suggest that they will be able to pay
interest on the remaining $1.8 million or reduce the amount of funds
that St.George has to grant to the joint venture each year."

The R2K candidates are seeking an additional NRL match at OKI
Jubilee Stadium, want to revive St.George Leagues Club's auditorium
and Grange Restaurant and want improved entertainment, sport and
social club facilities.

Dick Caine is among local identities who have voiced their support
for the R2K candidates.

St.George businessmen Rajni Kant and Dennis Preece have also put
their names up for election at this week's AGM.

Fire

First Grade
This joker is up to MkII?! :lol: I don't wanna live on this planet anymore...

gorilla

First Grade
cant kick...
cant run....
cant strategically put his foot over the line before the kickoff when the kick is going long...
cant stay on his f ing feet to give us a good first set. has to stumble over himself....
fantastic.

Nice of you to come out of the woodwork, blacklock.

Did you cheer Nathan or just feel happy when he didn't get selected in the SOO and run-on Aussie teams ?

Kreizer02

Juniors
cant kick...
cant run....
cant strategically put his foot over the line before the kickoff when the kick is going long...
cant stay on his f ing feet to give us a good first set. has to stumble over himself....
fantastic.

That's a little harsh but clearly his time has come and gone. He was a really good fullback and a safe, solid, if uncreative halfback but when Gaz and Boyd were creating most of the tries, he could get away with it. Not anymore! He must retire for the good of the team or Price must man-up and drop him.

Father Ted

First Grade
That's a little harsh but clearly his time has come and gone. He was a really good fullback and a safe, solid, if uncreative halfback but when Gaz and Boyd were creating most of the tries, he could get away with it. Not anymore! He must retire for the good of the team or Price must man-up and drop him.

Fine...Drop him for who ????

gorilla

First Grade
Most of you guys don't get it.

Hornby is not playing for "personal glory" or as a complacent crap player, he's busting a gut each week while you sit in your ultra supporters or Foxtel armchair. Some of the vitriolic comments here, sadly, remind me of the scum that jumps in to kick someone on the ground.

Disgusting.

Hornby is playing because he's picked each week as the best halfback and captain we have.

Sure there's differing opinions about how well he's playing, but FFS, who's (realistically) going to take his place and steer the team as captain and 1/2?:
  • Soward ?
  • Stanley ?
  • Rein ?
  • King ?
  • Fein
  • f**king Vidot ?
  • maybe the famous Marketo ?
  • shit, let's play Fritzell !

Many of you look for negatives and see the worst.

There's no question that Ben Hornby is in the twilight of his career - I also reckon a fair percentage of you wouldn't have a clue what that really means.

In the absence of a better half and captain, tell f**king Doust what you want, do not bag off on someone with a bigger heart and more passion than you have now, and possibly ever will have, in the future.

Last edited:

Fire

First Grade

Hornby is not playing for "personal glory" or as a complacent crap player, he's busting a gut each week while you sit in your ultra supporters or Foxtel armchair. Some of the vitriolic comments here, sadly, remind me of the scum that jumps in to kick someone on the ground.

Disgusting.

Hornby is playing because he's picked each week as the best halfback and captain we have.

Sure there's differing opinions about how well he's playing, but FFS, who's (realistically) going to take his place and steer the team as captain and 1/2?:
  • Soward ?
  • Stanley ?
  • Rein ?
  • King ?
  • Fein
  • f**king Vidot ?

There's no question that Ben Hornby is in the twilight of his career - I also reckon a fair percentage of you wouldn't have a clue what that really means.

In the absence of a better half and captain, tell f**king Doust what you want, do not bag off on someone with a bigger heart and more passion than you have now, and possibly ever will have, in the future.

:clap:

Kreizer03

Juniors

Disgusting.

• Soward ?
  • Stanley ?
  • Rein ?
  • King ?
  • Fein
  • f**king Vidot ?

Excuse me. Is this place full of snitches or are our excellent "guest moderators" (LOL) sitting around waiting for someone to post they suspect is me?

Anyway, on topic. The problem is he isn't leading the team around the field and is no longer a good captain. We all saw the little episode with Rein, one the teams better players this year and then Honrby completely screw up a filed goal from the same part of the field a week later.

I would try Soward at 1/2 and Stanley at 5/8 for a few weeks and if that wasn't working out, try King at 1/2. If that doesn't work out, well cross that bridge if and when they come to it.

gorilla

First Grade
Excuse me. Is this place full of snitches or are our excellent "guest moderators" (LOL) sitting around waiting for someone to post they suspect is me?

No idea what you're saying really

Anyway, on topic. The problem is he isn't leading the team around the field and is no longer a good captain. We all saw the little episode with Rein, one the teams better players this year and then Honrby completely screw up a filed goal from the same part of the field a week later.

And good point to get on topic.

He is leading the team around, just not playing well. He's not "useless", and he is a good captain - the issues with Rein were quite justified, and if you look at Rein's comments in the last few days, Rein effectively accepts that he's there to learn.

Frustration is a hard thing and a good captain (when things are going shit), gets up those who make mistakes.

If you think Hornby was not disappointed and pissed off with that pathetic kick (when he fell over, and I actually laughed) then you need think again. God, I've seen him twice screw up the golden point win of the toss - last year's final series against the Broncos and then against Souff$. He might not realise it, but that's a coaches problem not the captain's.

I would try Soward at 1/2 and Stanley at 5/8 for a few weeks and if that wasn't working out, try King at 1/2. If that doesn't work out, well cross that bridge if and when they come to it.

I've been saying for 2 years that there's the opportunity to play Soward at 1/2 and (slowhand) Stanley at5/8. Soward is not capable ATM and Stanley is a year or so away from slowhand 5/8.

Hornby is our best player at half and a good captain.

Last edited:

gorilla

First Grade

You are living in the past, man - catch up.

Boyd, Gasnier, Hornby at fullback ?

Man up and drop him for, who ?

Soward ? Soward can't even construct from 5/8, let alone be available almost every play.

We might have an old racehorse but ATM its better than a shaky colt.

Last edited:

bottle

Coach
Hmmmm The Dragons don't have the funds to fill the salary cap?

I think Price has mostly inherited the problems from Bennett. If Bennett had been playing on staying Hornby would certainly have gotten a tap on the shoulder before this season. Still, it's Price who keeps sticking with the same, terrible formula. One would think Bennett has been in his ear about sticking with the same team no matter how badly they are playing.

So now you not only speak for how all Dragons fans supposedly feel about the Captain, you know what Bennett thinks as well? You are pure genius. And a conspiracy theorist to boot. What an amazing combo.

mightydragon

Juniors
Hornby was ordinary again. Running backwards in defence resulting in two tries. Shit kicking game, too slow and cramping Cooper and Nighty. Kicks out on the full with 4 to go. Kick it deep and dominate.

TheRev

First Grade
Cant blame him for the short kickoff, thats a hail mary play we had to make.. the mistake in the 1st half was bad though, he has so much on his mind right now as captain and chief organiser.

Still think Hornby is an irreplaceable part of the team though, hes the thread binding our club together, someone is going to have to step up bigtime when he moves on in 2013/2014, im freaking out because I dont know who its going to be.. Soward will probably have no choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.