What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt Takes Responsibility for Dragons Woes

Walpole

Juniors
To me Hunt looks disinterested and most likely depressed about playing in our current structure.

He needs, like Soward did, a coach who can actually coach and get the best out of him. Hunts best season ever was under Bennett (as was Sowards) and he's played well in Origin. He's a good player but unless there's changes at the top I just think we'll see him keep sliding into Darius Boyd territory.

Very intelligently put opinion.
I have fears that our pack will diminish in quality & output over the next 3 years so that will further complicate the issue for Hunt.
I also have fears that Norman is an out & out dud but we will persist with him at 5/8 and that will also further complicate the issue for Hunt.
So in the end IMO we have signed yet another player we have been unable to get the best out of and opportunities to compete at the highest level have been pissed up against the wall.
Norman strikes me as a bit of a front runner only plays good when the team is!

hazzbeen

Bench
If we could win with Hornby as our play maker, I see no reason why we can't win with Hunt.

Just needs the right coach. Simple.

Straight Shooter
This in a nutshell , Hornby was just a link for our centers and wingers who could score tries. That said we don't have centers and wingers that can score tries , so Hunt is finding it hard to do with a lack luster backline , but as you say a good coach would make things happen .......

The halves are only as good as our forwards.

Our forwards have been on the back foot in virtually every game this season.

Consequently, Hunt and Norman have less time and space to operate.

Our outside backs are very ordinary to mediocre, hence I can't see how we can heap the blame on Hunt or Norman.

Add to this situation zero game plan and the wooden spoon awaits us.

ViceVersa

Juniors
@thebigredv @BLM01 @muzby @grouch

Hunt takes blame for NRL's slain Dragons

Million-dollar man Ben Hunt has taken responsibility for St George Illawarra's woes this season with a scathing self-review of his NRL form.

The Dragons have wildly underachieved in 2019 with just six wins from 19 games despite boasting five State of Origin players.

They've lost five on the bounce and Queensland representative Hunt - whose $6 million deal started last season - admitted he needed to improve his form.

"(It's) pretty ordinary to be honest," Hunt said.

"I feel like I've been trying pretty hard and working on things at training and I'm really trying to assert myself in games. But I think I've probably just been over-pushing things a bit - trying to throw passes when they're not there or just trying to force things when they're not really on.

"As a halve you can't be doing that, obviously there's going to be mistakes in a game but I'm meant to be a leader in the team and I think I need to clean those things up."

Hunt said the pressure which comes with his sizeable contract wasn't an excuse, while also refusing to blame the toll State of Origin took on the club.

"I think everyone is paid pretty well in the NRL and I just need to worry about what I'm doing on the field and carrying my load," Hunt said.

"I'm the halfback and I can't be coming up with those mistakes.

"We're not winning games so something is going wrong but I don't think we can nail it down to guys coming back from Origin.

"Right across the park, there's been guys that can improve in different areas. It's just a real mixed bag."

The Dragons are only two wins ahead of the bottom-placed Gold Coast, who they host in round 21 on Saturday and Hunt admitted avoiding the wooden spoon was a motivating factor.

"You have a look at the ladder and you're down towards the bottom there and you think 'Oh jeez we don't really want to be getting that'. In the back of everyone's mind I think it's going to be a bit of motivation this weekend to get the win.

"I can understand them calling for blood and we've probably let our fans down a fair bit this year. We've got a quality team here we're just not winning games and in the position we should be.

"We owe it to them to come out and win a few games."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/hunt-t...-dragons/8d89ad7f-501d-468a-9935-939c4e4efe21

Last edited:

Dea

Juniors
The Dragons are arguably the real underperformers after enjoying the equal-most attacking play-the-balls of any club this year yet still sitting in 14th with the fifth-worst attack overall. Their Origin-studded forward pack is getting them within range but the strike players aren't cashing in. - NRL article on teams Red Zone performance in scoring tries.

No argument from me. Underperforming, definitely.

True_Believer

Juniors
The fact is Hunt is out of form, but I'm not even close to "move him on" territory and I think those that go there are a little too trigger happy. The fact that is, Hunt is good enough to carry his team to a grand final, it has literally happened before, but he's clearly a player who needs a coach better than f**king Mister McShitfark to unlock that in him.

Halves are the hardest position on the field to play when those around you are out of form, and it just gets magnified when they are expected to be the spark in a side. For me, I put a lot more focus on our pack, who have well and truly shit the bed most of the year. That's not necessarily the fault of the players either. It's obvious Tyson Frizzell was handled poorly at the start of the year when injured, and that has caused a domino effect all over the pack. Graham being expected to knock out more minutes, young blokes being asked to step up suddenly when they've been ignored by Mary for years, coupling all that with poor form and it's just a recipe for disaster

Just put your heads down and move on from this horrible year. Even under Mary I don't think 2020 would be this bad again, but it will still never be at the level this playing roster is capable of reaching. Sack Mary in the off season and bring in Geoff Toovey!

Just quietly, anybody noticed Mary's contract expires at the same time as Craig Bellamy? If we really stuck with this tosser I would hope we get in with a chance there

It's not our backs either. They were crap last year too, still see, but the difference is well and truly our dominant forward pack are in shocking form. JDB was core of this team and they MUST replace him next year!

Take DCE for example. People were laughing a couple of years ago when he signed for 10 years for a million a season. He looked like the biggest waste of money Manly had ever made. A couple of years later and a new coach and he's looking like a world beater - even being recalled into the QLD team.

Seriously, calling for his head at this stage while retaining Mary is a joke. The real issue is the coach. Until we get a better coach we'll never get a true picture of the roster we have.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Where’s the article from Mary, Aitken, Lafai, Dufty, Pearson, Norman, Host, putting up their hand and shouldering some of the blame? You could have a whole newspaper special edition dedicated to Mary’s incompetence.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
First of all Buddy Franklin brought extra sponsorship to the Swans which offsetted a lot of what they are paying him ( Tippett was the real dud ) and the Swans have made 2 grand finals ( one which they were cheated out of ) in his tenure so this is not a fair comparison. The real issue is our forwards and their lack of domination. Give Hunt a pack that at least can match it with 80% of the sides and you will notice a different player. Agree he is not a superstar but he arguably could be the best halfback we have had since Billy Smith ( or Goldie/ Morris if you want to split hairs ) which is precisly the reason we chased him so much. a potential very good signing which will not be relised under this present coaching rabble.

Agree that Franklin has been profitable for the Swans OFF the field, but the point I'm making is that they have an ageing list supplemented with promising but still raw kids due to their cap issues and it's hurting on the scoreboard. They have not been able to refresh with top draw, proven,24-28 yo players.

SGI are in a similar situation. Due to paying Hunt serious overs, apart from Norman and Korbin Sims, we. bought mainly inexperienced, unproven or journeyman players like Ravalawa, Pereira, Pearson, Maranta in recent times and are still trying to settle on the right backline when its too late. Norman has taken Widdop's money so we are stuffed for next year - at least.

Qapm

Juniors
To me Hunt looks disinterested and most likely depressed about playing in our current structure.

He needs, like Soward did, a coach who can actually coach and get the best out of him. Hunts best season ever was under Bennett (as was Sowards) and he's played well in Origin. He's a good player but unless there's changes at the top I just think we'll see him keep sliding into Darius Boyd territory.

It takes a special talent to suck all of the talent and joy for life of a player that can qualify for the QLD SOO team.

I'm sorry, most on here barrack for the Blues but don't worry, Dragons have that covered: saw the warrior Vaughn throw up before two games. Imagine the amount of fail in an organization that would reduce an elite front rower, selected for winning NSW SOO teams to this. Let me emphasize while adding Frizzel. Two elite front rowers for a WINNING NSW team stuck in spoon contender purgatory because of organizational fail with complicit media.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Take DCE for example. People were laughing a couple of years ago when he signed for 10 years for a million a season. He looked like the biggest waste of money Manly had ever made. A couple of years later and a new coach and he's looking like a world beater - even being recalled into the QLD team.

Seriously, calling for his head at this stage while retaining Mary is a joke. The real issue is the coach. Until we get a better coach we'll never get a true picture of the roster we have.

Except...before he came to the Dragons, much better coaches (Bennett and Walters) than Mary have judged Hunt not to be up to it as a half back and dropped him or not picked him for Origin.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Norman strikes me as a bit of a front runner only plays good when the team is!

Yes - and what is really worrying is that it was reported that he wanted to play full-back and leave 5/8 to Widdop when the latter returned. We need a dominant 5/8 next year due to Hunt being very much a confidence player and needing a lot of support.

BennyV

Referee
Agree that Franklin has been profitable for the Swans OFF the field, but the point I'm making is that they have an ageing list supplemented with promising but still raw kids due to their cap issues and it's hurting on the scoreboard. They have not been able to refresh with top draw, proven,24-28 yo players.

SGI are in a similar situation. Due to paying Hunt serious overs, apart from Norman and Korbin Sims, we. bought mainly inexperienced, unproven or journeyman players like Ravalawa, Pereira, Pearson, Maranta in recent times and are still trying to settle on the right backline when its too late. Norman has taken Widdop's money so we are stuffed for next year - at least.
Our recruitment issues are more to do with lack of ability for the coach to develop players and incompetence of our recruitment office than Hunt’s salary. Keep in mind we’ve also got Widdop/Norman, Friz, JDB, Vaughan, Tariq and McInnes on good money, and knowing our horrible recruiters we’ve prob got Lafai and Aitken on above-average money. None of what you’ve claimed is Hunts fault.
Except...before he came to the Dragons, much better coaches (Bennett and Walters) than Mary have judged Hunt not to be up to it as a half back and dropped him or not picked him for Origin.
Super weird argument - there’s 0 evidence that Walters is a better coach than Mary (one of few I’d argue is a step down) and Bennett only moved Hunt to hooker after he signed with us.

blacksafake

First Grade
The fact is Hunt is out of form, but I'm not even close to "move him on" territory and I think those that go there are a little too trigger happy. The fact that is, Hunt is good enough to carry his team to a grand final, it has literally happened before, but he's clearly a player who needs a coach better than f**king Mister McShitfark to unlock that in him.

Halves are the hardest position on the field to play when those around you are out of form, and it just gets magnified when they are expected to be the spark in a side. For me, I put a lot more focus on our pack, who have well and truly shit the bed most of the year. That's not necessarily the fault of the players either. It's obvious Tyson Frizzell was handled poorly at the start of the year when injured, and that has caused a domino effect all over the pack. Graham being expected to knock out more minutes, young blokes being asked to step up suddenly when they've been ignored by Mary for years, coupling all that with poor form and it's just a recipe for disaster

Just put your heads down and move on from this horrible year. Even under Mary I don't think 2020 would be this bad again, but it will still never be at the level this playing roster is capable of reaching. Sack Mary in the off season and bring in Geoff Toovey!

Just quietly, anybody noticed Mary's contract expires at the same time as Craig Bellamy? If we really stuck with this tosser I would hope we get in with a chance there

It's not our backs either. They were crap last year too, still see, but the difference is well and truly our dominant forward pack are in shocking form. JDB was core of this team and they MUST replace him next year!
Agree :100:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
@thebigredv @BLM01 @muzby @grouch

Hunt takes blame for NRL's slain Dragons

Million-dollar man Ben Hunt has taken responsibility for St George Illawarra's woes this season with a scathing self-review of his NRL form.

The Dragons have wildly underachieved in 2019 with just six wins from 19 games despite boasting five State of Origin players.

They've lost five on the bounce and Queensland representative Hunt - whose $6 million deal started last season - admitted he needed to improve his form.

"(It's) pretty ordinary to be honest," Hunt said.

"I feel like I've been trying pretty hard and working on things at training and I'm really trying to assert myself in games. But I think I've probably just been over-pushing things a bit - trying to throw passes when they're not there or just trying to force things when they're not really on.

"As a halve you can't be doing that, obviously there's going to be mistakes in a game but I'm meant to be a leader in the team and I think I need to clean those things up."

Hunt said the pressure which comes with his sizeable contract wasn't an excuse, while also refusing to blame the toll State of Origin took on the club.

"I think everyone is paid pretty well in the NRL and I just need to worry about what I'm doing on the field and carrying my load," Hunt said.

"I'm the halfback and I can't be coming up with those mistakes.

"We're not winning games so something is going wrong but I don't think we can nail it down to guys coming back from Origin.

"Right across the park, there's been guys that can improve in different areas. It's just a real mixed bag."

The Dragons are only two wins ahead of the bottom-placed Gold Coast, who they host in round 21 on Saturday and Hunt admitted avoiding the wooden spoon was a motivating factor.

"You have a look at the ladder and you're down towards the bottom there and you think 'Oh jeez we don't really want to be getting that'. In the back of everyone's mind I think it's going to be a bit of motivation this weekend to get the win.

"I can understand them calling for blood and we've probably let our fans down a fair bit this year. We've got a quality team here we're just not winning games and in the position we should be.

"We owe it to them to come out and win a few games."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/hunt-t...-dragons/8d89ad7f-501d-468a-9935-939c4e4efe21
It’s still a bullshit title for both this thread and that article..

He hasn’t claimed “responsibility” for the poor form.. He says he needs to lift his game and that others across the park do too..

Just more media bullying of their latest whipping boy..

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Our recruitment issues are more to do with lack of ability for the coach to develop players and incompetence of our recruitment office than Hunt’s salary. Keep in mind we’ve also got Widdop/Norman, Friz, JDB, Vaughan, Tariq and McInnes on good money, and knowing our horrible recruiters we’ve prob got Lafai and Aitken on above-average money. None of what you’ve claimed is Hunts fault.

Super weird argument - there’s 0 evidence that Walters is a better coach than Mary (one of few I’d argue is a step down) and Bennett only moved Hunt to hooker after he signed with us.

You seriously believe that Mary could have done a better job than Walters as SOO coach of Queensland?- what are you smoking Benny?