What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Rogers

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i only saw it once, but gould said on the radio that had the rogers punch broken vidots jaw we'd be looking at a danny williams suspension. form what peopel are saying here rogers has belted someone not expecting it which is a dog act, different if vidot is coming at him or has his fists raised

edabomb

First Grade
Vidot was up for it, he just wasn't up to it

:lol: Yea, cos pushing someone who just pushed you and standing with your hands at your side is a real sign that 'you're up for it'.

A sucker punch is a blow which is made without warning or preparation on the part of the recipient and so is usually delivered from close range. It is not possible to block such a punch and so people at risk of such blows must be alert to the proximity of potential opponents.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
lolRaiders fans.

Vidot lashed out with his foot, irrespective of why he did it, it's an offence and will likely get charged.

Both deserve a week or two off tbh.

rickywalford1

First Grade
FMD, are you on drugs. Watch it again devito pushes dogrodgers, stands in front, dogrodgers raises his hands, devito still has his droped. They are both facing each other, dogrodgers hits devito fair on the chin. Not a king hit in any way shape or form, quick go and get your daily meth hit.

Trying to knee a player who is being held by your team mates is a dog act, make no mistake about it.

Agreed. How times have changed. Throwing a knee is more acceptable than throwing a punch these days. Sad. Personally, I'd give Vidot more weeks than Rogers.
Hey kid, great try......but if you dont want one put on your chin by a grown up.....don't push the grown up.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
This thread reminds me of the idiots claiming Mason king hit Fielden in the tri nations match a few years ago.

Vidot provoked the punch by reacting and shoving Rogers. Rogers is definitely in the wrong for throwing first, but there is nothing that can be said to defend a knee to the head. And that was no king hit.

boxa777

Coach
Good on Vidot for coming back into that..

It was ROGERS who actually starting things. The penalty may not reflect that but he did push Vidot first before Vidot responded.

I agree there is a little bit of arrogance around Vidot and copping a good hit may not be the worst thing for him. He is an outstanding young talent.

Clearly not ready for his first punch on in league and Rogers threw a pearler right on the button. Credit to Vid for not collapsing and coming back with some aggression. Very, very lucky that his knee didn't connect but I can understand the mindset when someone's thrown a few at you. He responded wildly, he'll learn that kneeing is not the way to go.

I don't think Rogers deserves anything near the suspensions mentioned on here. Maybe 1 week max, and Vidot nothing with early plea.

Mr Saab

Referee
Those calling the Rogers punch a king hit have NFI. A king hit is what Danny Williams did to Mark ONeill in July 2004. Not looking, walking away, unware of any problems.

Rogers niggled vidot, vidot pushed back, rogers threw a jab to the chin that was softer than Otke on Mundine.

skeepe

Immortal
Those calling the Rogers punch a king hit have NFI. A king hit is what Danny Williams did to Mark ONeill in July 2004. Not looking, walking away, unware of any problems.

Rogers niggled vidot, vidot pushed back, rogers threw a jab to the chin that was softer than Otke on Mundine.

Generally I agree, however the NRL defined exactly what happened there as a king hit when they suspended Michael Weyman for, in their own words, a "king hit" on Daniel Conn.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So now you like "precedent"?
:lol:

More spin that a politician :lol:

skeepe

Immortal
So now you like "precedent"?
:lol:

More spin that a politician :lol:

Precedent states that Rogers should be out for a minimum of 18 weeks for a dog shot like that.

In fact, you can even break it down if you like, 16 weeks for the GBH and 2 weeks for the elbow to Vidot's temple.

bluesbreaker

Bench
You raiders fans must be crack smokers. And obviously can't fight for sh*t if you're trying to justify an attempted knee to the teethies as a legit form of self defence on the football field.

Ben Rogers smashed him, lights out vidot on the first punch, love the look on his face.

Raider_69

Post Whore
lolRaiders fans.

Vidot lashed out with his foot, irrespective of why he did it, it's an offence and will likely get charged.

Both deserve a week or two off tbh.

Maybe Canberra can defend the charge... Heavily concused and blacked out ;-) Wasnt responsible for his actions :cool:
Looking forward to Vidot on Yeh Yow next week... but if he has to sit a week on the sidelines i wont be to annoyed. Obviously the NRL needs to show that kneeing regardless is going to attract a charge and isnt condoned but i think it should be the lowest possible charge. 1 week max... but if the NRL is being fair dinkum and consistant, Rogers is looking at 5 or 6

Mr Saab

Referee
Precedent states that Rogers should be out for a minimum of 18 weeks for a dog shot like that.

In fact, you can even break it down if you like, 16 weeks for the GBH and 2 weeks for the elbow to Vidot's temple.

Please Skeepe. What did Anthony Watts get for hitting Robbie Farrah in the scrum? 18 weeks? Try 2.
Come on skeepe...if you are comparing THAT hit by Rogers to that of Williams on ONeill (you are with the duration you request) then you are not on the same planet as us.

edabomb

First Grade
You raiders fans must be crack smokers. And obviously can't fight for sh*t if you're trying to justify an attempted knee to the teethies as a legit form of self defence on the football field.

Ben Rogers smashed him, lights out vidot on the first punch, love the look on his face.

I'd argue you've never been in a fight if you wouldn't react wildly to a sucker punch.

skeepe

Immortal

Love the fact that Knights fans think a sucker punch is a legitimate act.

Then again, that is how they breed them up Newcastle way. I bet the only thing that would have made it better for you was if he waited for Vidot to turn his back - do it like a real Novocastrian would.

_Johnsy

Referee
I'd argue you've never been in a fight if you wouldn't react wildly to a sucker punch.

If you pushed someone after a tackle then dropped your hands, you deserve to be punched in the head.

Facts are as follows:
1. Rodgers gave devito a "little" elbow to the neck, hardly enough to break a wet paper bag.
2. Devito then pushes rodgers in the head.
3. Rodgers and devito are face to face.
4. Rodgers throws a punch and connects with devitos head.
5. A brawl ensues.
6. As Rodgers is being held by Canberra players devito tries to knee him in the head.

Rodgers actions not defendable,
Devitos actions not defendable.

Both deserve a minimum of 3 weeks on the sidelines.

Mr Saab

Referee
If you pushed someone after a tackle then dropped your hands, you deserve to be punched in the head.

Facts are as follows:
1. Rodgers gave devito a "little" elbow to the neck, hardly enough to break a wet paper bag.
2. Devito then pushes rodgers in the head.
3. Rodgers and devito are face to face.
4. Rodgers throws a punch and connects with devitos head.
5. A brawl ensues.
6. As Rodgers is being held by Canberra players devito tries to knee him in the head.

Rodgers actions not defendable,
Devitos actions not defendable.

Both deserve a minimum of 3 weeks on the sidelines.

I agree with all that, but they wont get 3 weeks each.

Latest posts