What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Smith and Dean Widders...Gorne...?

The Colonel

Immortal
PB said:
3. Not about JT being better than Hagan, It's about promoting successful coaches from within the ranks that the players are familiar with . That will help maintain harmony and confidence that the systems in place in the club, which brought them to Parra in the first place, will remain largely intact, only changing to improve when neccessairy.

Ever heard the phrase "Familiarity breeds contempt?". Smith has a great structure in place but continuing with a certain style which in ten years hasn't given us much more than club championships and lower grade trophies isn't moving forward. Maintaining harmony and confidence is one thing. ASdding new ideas, enthusiaism and a more relaxed culture could well be another.

Stagger eel

Staff member
2. They haven't needed to know in the past. Denis likes to be the first, and to invent ideas. He would have been better off focusing his efforts on lobbying changing the June 30 rule.

exactly, in the past 10 years mate!! I have a feeling Dennis saw something that no one else noticed in Brian and that's the fact that he knew that he was always going to go.

3. Not about JT being better than Hagan, It's about promoting successful coaches from within the ranks that the players are familiar with . That will help maintain harmony and confidence that the systems in place in the club, which brought them to Parra in the first place, will remain largely intact, only changing to improve when neccessairy.

hey! i also would of liked JT given a shot, but for some reason we decided to go a bit of experiance in the head coaching role and the funny thing about that is that both Newcastle, Penrith and possably Canberra have opted for the same approach. Maybe you should ask Newcastle as to why they didn't appoint Fairleigh??

PB

Bench
The Colonel said:
Ever heard the phrase "Familiarity breeds contempt?". Smith has a great structure in place but continuing with a certain style which in ten years hasn't given us much more than club championships and lower grade trophies isn't moving forward. Maintaining harmony and confidence is one thing. ASdding new ideas, enthusiaism and a more relaxed culture could well be another.

Could well be.

Ever heard the phrase "People resist change" and "fear of the unknown".

Employing from with in, IMO, would have meant less change, less concern from players, less concern from fans, less rumor and attention from the press and a more stable environment. I am sure JT would have changed things to some degree to avoid "contempt" becoming possible. And if players are happy and all staying, we should have sufficient competition for positions to keep them all working hard.

Bringing a coach in with possibly a completly different style and philosophy. I am a player, i get a bit nervous, particularly if i am a fringe player the new coach knows little about. Or i could go wear Smithy goes, i know his style, i know what he wants from me, i know he is a good coach.....

The Colonel

Immortal
PB said:
Could well be.

Ever heard the phrase "People resist change" and "fear of the unknown".

Employing from with in, IMO, would have meant less change, less concern from players, less concern from fans, less rumor and attention from the press and a more stable environment. I am sure JT would have changed things to some degree to avoid "contempt" becoming possible. And if players are happy and all staying, we should have sufficient competition for positions to keep them all working hard.

Bringing a coach in with possibly a completly different style and philosophy. I am a player, i get a bit nervous, particularly if i am a fringe player the new coach knows little about. Or i could go wear Smithy goes, i know his style, i know what he wants from me, i know he is a good coach.....

Sometimes people need to be taken out of the comfort zone to get the best out of them. If they are comfortable with Smithy and can't face the challenge of a new direction than so be it.

PB

Bench
eelavation said:
hey! i also would of liked JT given a shot, but for some reason we decided to go a bit of experiance in the head coaching role and the funny thing about that is that both Newcastle, Penrith and possably Canberra have opted for the same approach. Maybe you should ask Newcastle as to why they didn't appoint Fairleigh??

Perhaps i should. I haven't seen Fairleigh at work, but i am assuming that from an area which is supposed to be choc full of juniors, that his results have not been as successful as those of JT's. ou don't just promote someone for the sake of it, they have to be ready. Obviously they have decided he wasn't, but it still deosnt explain why We jumped for Hagan in January and it would appear, didn't even speak to someone like Sheens.

But this is getting into a "JT should have got the job debate", and i am done with that one...:)

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Colonel said:
Sometimes people need to be taken out of the comfort zone to get the best out of them. If they are comfortable with Smithy and can't face the challenge of a new direction than so be it.

fu!! Colonel, I was just about to type what you wrote!! :lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
PB said:
But this is getting into a "JT should have got the job debate", and i am done with that one...:)

I agree, but i will say this, you may well have answered your own question as to why JT didn't get the job.

The Colonel

Immortal
Seriously, some of the players at Parramatta need to be challenged. The time with Smithy IMO has made them too complacent and I think this attributes to the problems we have come finals time.

Avenger

Immortal
The Colonel said:
Seriously, some of the players at Parramatta need to be challenged. The time with Smithy IMO has made them too complacent and I think this attributes to the problems we have come finals time.

I reckon I should be allowed to come in the sheds at halftime and exert some of my Balkan temper. :evil: ;-)

stiffmeister

Bench
PB said:
Your a well credited career coach, and your out of a job, what do you think he is probably going to do! hmmm...., get a coaching job maybe...

Poor Smithy, he was getting paid at least $300,000 pa for the last 10 years. Thats a minimum of $3,000,000. You can really live on that for the rest of your life esp if invested wisely

Avenger

Immortal
stiff-meister eel said:
Poor Smithy, he was getting paid at least $300,000 pa for the last 10 years. Thats a minimum of $3,000,000. You can really live on that for the rest of your life esp if invested wisely

Try $400,000

stiffmeister

Bench
Yep alot of the players are in their cotton comfort zone. If they want to be a Smithy boy for the rest of their playing careers, then follow daddy smith to Newcastle

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Colonel said:

valid point, considering 5 or 6 players from our first grade squad have only had one first grade coach in their NRL careers.

stiffmeister

Bench
The players are supposedly professionals. If I was a player I would love to be coached by at least 2 different coaches in my career. It would make me a better player. Our players should be happy they dont need to join another club to learn under a new coach. The new coach is coming to them. Players get too complacent esp playing under the one coach for 10 years

strider

Post Whore
I wonder what hagan's gonna be on? similar? ... no reason - just wondering

actually i wonder what the going rate for a coach in the nrl is

The Colonel

Immortal
strider said:
I wonder what hagan's gonna be on? similar? ... no reason - just wondering

actually i wonder what the going rate for a coach in the nrl is

Supposedly $1 million overv three years. I'd say that would include incentives etc.

Stagger eel

Staff member
stiff-meister eel said:
The players are supposedly professionals. If I was a player I would love to be coached by at least 2 different coaches in my career. It would make me a better player. Our players should be happy they dont need to join another club to learn under a new coach. The new coach is coming to them. Players get too complacent esp playing under the one coach for 10 years

99% of players generally are when you include rep duties.

yy_cheng

Coach

I agree and I target the senior players. I am not challenging Caylo's captaincy here but the senior players are in a soft spot.

Vella, Wagon and a bit of Caylo (IMO). I get the feeling it's like they don't know what to do when things go wrong and rely heavily on Smithy (and maybe Hindy) to dig them out. I feel that they have a tad of too much of a nice guy in each of them and we miss the mongrel like Ray Price.

I thought that with the introduction of Tahu, Stringer, PJ and especially Piggy and Morro would give them a bit more mongrel or leadership from a non-Smithy viewpoint.

That's why I think Moi Moi is great for us as he doesn't seem to get affected by what's happenning out there and just CHARGES FULL STEAM AHEAD on every run.

So all in all, when things click, we are a well oiled machine. When there are gremlins in the works, we just can't shake them out on the field.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
eelavation said:
valid point, considering 5 or 6 players from our first grade squad have only had one first grade coach in their NRL careers.

Well Tim Smith and Ben Smith have only really played one season in first grade. I don't think complacency is a problem with them.

Latest posts