What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Smith and Dean Widders...Gorne...?

Hurriflatch

Referee
Hellsy said:
:D :D :D :D :D

I luv Matty King.........

I was waiting for you to pick on the Matt King talk

He'd make a decent enough replacement if Benny did decide to move up to Newie (or anywhere else for that matter)

Hellsy

Immortal
The Colonel said:
Regardless of where or what Brian is doing and Denis has done with 20 players off contract and the Titans joining the comp there was every chance that rumours such as these would happen.

Personally I don't think Ben Smith will leave and we'll here more about that sooner rather than later. However, I can see Deano following Brian.

Exactly!
As I said earlier, he and Eric are really good mates as well as players on the field.
I have had conversations with Eric on Benny and Benny on Eric and the 2 of them speak so highly of each other both on and off the field.
Friendships like this strengthen their side of the field, but are also good for moral when it comes to signing a new deal... if you are happy you are more likely to stay...... it is the same in any job actually.. (why the bloody hell else have I been with my employer for over 10 years??? because I'm happy and I luv the people I work with)

Hurriflatch

Referee
Hellsy said:
Exactly!
As I said earlier, he and Eric are really good mates as well as players on the field.
I have had conversations with Eric on Benny and Benny on Eric and the 2 of them speak so highly of each other both on and off the field.
Friendships like this strengthen their side of the field, but are also good for moral when it comes to signing a new deal... if you are happy you are more likely to stay...... it is the same in any job actually.. (why the bloody hell else have I been with my employer for over 10 years??? because I'm happy and I luv the people I work with)

And in that time I'm betting a few of your mangers have left but it doesn't look like you followed them

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hellsy said:
Exactly!

maybe Benny will stay because of that reason, but what about the other 19 players?? I'm sure if the coaching situation wasn't settled before the end of the season that several of them would be asking questions to management as to who will be the coach, Can you see Zap, Mitch and Fitzy saying to blokes like Dean, Morris and frog "we'll make a decision at the end of this season, just sign here"

it's a very difficult situation which would of been made even more difficult had we opted to wait till October for Brian to make a decision.

Hellsy

Immortal
Precisely Flatch!

Eela - I was only referring to Benny because that is what this thread is about........... I have no idea on the other 19

Hellsy

Immortal
Hurriflatch said:
I was waiting for you to pick on the Matt King talk

He'd make a decent enough replacement if Benny did decide to move up to Newie (or anywhere else for that matter)

:D :D :D :D :D
If he for some magical reason ever came to Parra I would be awestruck....

fish eel

Immortal
This thread is pretty funny actually.

There's been tons and tons of posts written on this board over the last six months....many of which seemed to be resigned to the fact tha Dean Widders was going to be a target for the Gold Coast and we'd struggle to keep him.

A lot of people were disappointed, but acceptiong of that. Now, all of a sudden, a media report says he may go to Newcastle....and the friggin sky is falling.

We've also heard for the last 6 months about how much depth we have in the backs, how good some of them are and how we're going to lose some of them.

Again....a media report says Ben Smith may follow to Newcastle, and the sky is falling.

I'd love both of them to stay.

But clubs evolve, players come and go. Always have, always will. Kids get new heroes. Noone is bigger than the club. Just chill.

PB

Bench
Jake the snake said:
Im not to worried if we lose Ben Smith.

You should be.
There aren't any centres like him that are not already playing rep football..

PB

Bench
Jake the snake said:
Nah Im not worried.....................Kris Inu will sh*t all over him.

I'm not going to even dignify that with a response...

oh wait i just did....:?

PB

Bench
fish eel said:
This thread is pretty funny actually.

There's been tons and tons of posts written on this board over the last six months....many of which seemed to be resigned to the fact tha Dean Widders was going to be a target for the Gold Coast and we'd struggle to keep him.

A lot of people were disappointed, but acceptiong of that. Now, all of a sudden, a media report says he may go to Newcastle....and the friggin sky is falling.

We've also heard for the last 6 months about how much depth we have in the backs, how good some of them are and how we're going to lose some of them.

Again....a media report says Ben Smith may follow to Newcastle, and the sky is falling.

I'd love both of them to stay.

But clubs evolve, players come and go. Always have, always will. Kids get new heroes. Noone is bigger than the club. Just chill.

I completely understand and agree with what you are saying.

I agree with "clubs evolve and players come and go", and as long as they don't go to the dogs, i wish them all the best.

But i will be peeved, if we lose players due to miss management. So if we don't have priority signings made after the first month or so of action, i will be annoyed. And B.Smith (the best up and coming centre in the game) and D.Widders (the most lethal attacking bench player in the game) i would consider priority.

stiffmeister

Bench
I love this. This is the best off season I have witnissed. This unknown factor. This will seperate the men from the boys. It will show which players really want to play for the club & which for the coach. If they are here for the coach only I'd rather they leave the club. This season will contain mystery. A lot of dead wood will be cleared. I'd like to see next years team have our current best players mixed with some players from the lower grades & a couple of knights players.

Bring on the UNKNOWn. The stiff thrives on this

fish eel

Immortal
PB said:
I completely understand and agree with what you are saying.

I agree with "clubs evolve and players come and go", and as long as they don't go to the dogs, i wish them all the best.

But i will be peeved, if we lose players due to miss management. So if we don't have priority signings made after the first month or so of action, i will be annoyed. And B.Smith (the best up and coming centre in the game) and D.Widders (the most lethal attacking bench player in the game) i would consider priority.

True, but with Brian Smith leaving, its not like the whole club structire is going with him. They're still going to be clued in back room staff here, like Zappia and Mitchell who know what its about and whats needed.

But, at the end of the day, if B Smith and D Widders think they've got greener pastures elsewhere, then there isnt a whole lot anyone can do about it.

Bigfella

Coach
Regardless of who is coach this year or any other the only way we would be able to keep all our current squad would be if none of them improve at all! In two years time the first grade team will have 6 or 7 new faces in it. That's life. We'll have to make decisions about who we keep and who we let go. Danny Weidler's guesses about who that might be shouldn;t worry anyone. If he has evidence that Newcastle are guilty of anti-tampering - I'm sure that would be his story. He has nothing. It's a rumour - what his journalistic career is based on.

And I saw the footy show and could not agree that BS was "bitter" about DS decision. He stated he would have done it differently, and not announced it until the end of the season. Interestingly, he pointed out he had already decided to leave. He confirmed that he has no issues whatsoever with his ability to do the job this season despite knowing he is leaving. His real concern is the distractions it may cause others... and judging by the hysteria in this thread, he may have a point.

BTW - Suity, I love your use of the phrase "Geez Louise". Keep up the good work.

Agent Mulder

Bench
Jake the snake said:
Nah Im not worried.....................Kris Inu will sh*t all over him.

Yeah, When PJ Marsh left Parramatta back in 2002, Alot of people were saying "We don't need PJ anymore, Steve Witt is a much better player" Well we all know how that turned out, PJ went on and played for QLD while Steve couldn't even make a Newcastle side with a sh*tload of Injuries.

fish eel

Immortal
Agent Mulder said:
Yeah, When PJ Marsh left Parramatta back in 2002, Alot of people were saying "We don't need PJ anymore, Steve Witt is a much better player" Well we all know how that turned out, PJ went on and played for QLD while Steve couldn't even make a Newcastle side with a sh*tload of Injuries.

Actually, there were plenty of people who never really thought that Steve Witt was going to be that good.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Agent Mulder said:

However, when Michael Witt left "everyone" was up in arms saying we have no halfback Witt was a saviour

then a kid called Tim Smith came into the top grade

sooperdooper

First Grade
PB said:
Oh yes but Denis said that he wanted to have this all sorted out so there was no distractions once the season starts...

You moron Denis!!!!!!!!!!!, The rumors are just going to be more intnese now as journos clutch at reasons as to why players might leave with the change in coach!

And when we lose players watch him blame the June 30 deadline and not his decision to announce a change of coaches in January!

fitzy did great, its not his fault BS signed foe newie

Eelementary

Post Whore
It's as simple as this:

IF a certain player feels that, by being coached by Brian Smith he improves his game to another level, then he would follow Brian regardless of how many mates he as at Parramatta. Because, let's face it - players have two focuses in the NRL:

* To win the Premiership; and

* To make representative football.

Latest posts