What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji certain to announce move to Union

abpanther

Staff member
Benji Marshall is all but certain to quit the NRL and play rugby in England

By Chris Wilson
December 07, 2008

BENJI Marshall was just another touch football player in Port Macquarie on Saturday - a world away from Suncorp Stadium two weeks ago.

But it's Marshall's next move that will stun the rugby league world, with the 23-year-old poised to defect to rugby union in Europe.

The Sunday Telegraph understands Marshall has all but decided to quit and is likely to tell the Tigers within a week.

English Super League clubs have shown interest, but Marshall is set to cross codes, following former NRL stars Craig Gower, Sonny Bill Williams and Mark Gasnier to rugby union.

Despite a torturous run with injury, Marshall has already captured the biggest prizes in rugby league - a 2005 premiership with the Tigers and the World Cup with New Zealand.

Now the money is on him playing rugby union in England.

It was only two weeks ago that Marshall joined Kiwi team-mates in kissing the rugby league World Cup and blowing raspberries at critics who said he was too scared to trouble the Australia team.

On Saturday, Marshall was back in a black and white uniform, this time with his Sydney touch footy club Wests.

Interestingly, Marshall represented Australia in mixed touch at the 2003 world cup in Japan, snatching the title back from New Zealand.

This weekend he is the star of the NSW State Cup in Port Macquarie, where the 5000 participants well out-number spectators.

Marshall has played with Wests since he was 17, but coach Tony Trad said his contract negotiations were not up for discussion. "We don't pry into that. Benji's one of the boys, we don't ask him about his work and he doesn't ask about ours," Trad said.

Marshall will leave Australia on Tuesday for a holiday with friends in Whistler, Canada. He's not expected to be back for Tigers pre-season training until the New Year.

The loss of Marshall would be a huge blow to the Tigers, who are also fighting to retain hooker Robbie Farah beyond next year.

Coach Tim Sheens, also off contract at the end of 2009, said he had been encouraged by Marshall's performance during the World Cup.

It consolidated Sheens' opinion that Marshall will line up for the Tigers at half-back next season.

"It's no secret I've talked about experimenting with him at seven," Sheens said. "I'm not saying that's where he's going to play, I'm just saying I've got an inkling to experiment with him there.

"I'm hoping next year will be an improvement.

"I'm hoping Benji will develop his game in the area of maturity and his skill around the halves to direct a game.

"I still think there's a lot of work for him to do, but he's come a long way in the last 12 months.

"I think it's a lot brighter, the prospect of his next season."

It might seem like a come down from World Cup celebrations, but Trad said Marshall enjoyed being back at the grassroots of touch football.

"The fans love watching his skill, his foot speed and his passing game. It's been a big boost to the tournament in general," Trad said. "I think the fans are pretty excited watching him play, but he's the same bloke to us. We've known him since he was a young fella. While we're very happy to have him, he's just another one of the team and we don't treat him any differently."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24760393-23214,00.html

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out Benji...

thug jimmy

Juniors
wheres the part where he actually says he's leaving? or the part where someone puts their name to it?
pussies.

bjm8

Juniors
with all the evidence in that article im now convinced. how about you.

Chook Norris

First Grade
not once in the article does it state any evidence of a switch

overrated player.. but will be a big loss for the game

westie

Bench
Obviously there's not even a manager quote in there, and the writer seems to be holiday staff, but it's still concerning.

Benji is a f**king marquee player and losing him would be terrible.

Bensterbronco18

Juniors
It dosent matter if he is over rated or not, it would still be a huge loss for the west tigers and the game in general. Losing someone of that potential can have devestating effects all around esspecially for NZ and the west tigers. I really hope he dosent leave because i really enjoy watching him play.

Brutus

Referee
He may be overrated but he has a huge profile in the game.

Would be a big loss for the game both in Aus and in NZ.

bartman

Immortal
If he wants to go for whatever reasons, then nothing can stop him.

Unless he's one of these arrogant up-start sods like SBW and Gas that think they are bigger than the game that made them and try to hold the game to ransom through the media and empty articles like this, holding out for some deal with more cash than the game has got or ever can have...

Chachi

Bench
It's ridiculous to suggest that a high profile player - especially a New Zealander - switching to Union is no big loss. Whether he is overrated or not, our game needs entertainers like Marshall. Like Sonny Bill, he is the type of player that brings people through the gates...and NZ league need high profile players to promote the game over there.

Brutus

Referee
It's ridiculous to suggest that a high profile player - especially a New Zealander - switching to Union is no big loss. Whether he is overrated or not, our game needs entertainers like Marshall. Like Sonny Bill, he is the type of player that brings people through the gates...and NZ league need high profile players to promote the game over there.

Spot on there.

Raider_69

Post Whore

have you seen the U20's?
The comp is choc full of future poly superstars
as ive always said, the great thing about RL, is for everyone like Gasnier/SBW/Marshall that leaves, there is another 7-8 kids ready to step up and make a name for themselves
RL will be fine with or without benji marshall

ozjet1

wow, im actually surprised that his contract, and the tigers allow him to participate in some other form of organised sport. you would think it a risk to their investment.

The Rat

Juniors
have you seen the U20's?
The comp is choc full of future poly superstars
as ive always said, the great thing about RL, is for everyone like Gasnier/SBW/Marshall that leaves, there is another 7-8 kids ready to step up and make a name for themselves
RL will be fine with or without benji marshall

true

The Rat

Juniors
Whether he is overrated or not, our game needs entertainers like Marshall. Like Sonny Bill, he is the type of player that brings people through the gates...and NZ league need high profile players to promote the game over there.

also true

The Tank

Bench
England though? I doubt they could afford him either. It's France or nothing if he's chasing BIG dollars. Unless he's leaving because he wants to try a different sport?