What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall not guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm

Pierced Soul

First Grade
what annoys me is that the cowards who were in a group who taunted marshall just walk away but he gets crucified for reacting. the only we stop any sports poeple or people in the public eye from coping random abuse is to actually punish the instigators, not the people reacting.

assuming whats been written is correct, benji's being taunted by a group of men, he has every right to retaliate and the nrl should say "we don't condone violence but we're not going to crucify someone for defending themselves".

publish this merkins name and put his face on tv and see how he lieks people coming up to him and giving him sh*t

Evenflow

Bench
what annoys me is that the cowards who were in a group who taunted marshall just walk away but he gets crucified for reacting. the only we stop any sports poeple or people in the public eye from coping random abuse is to actually punish the instigators, not the people reacting.

With what? Calling people names? While i agree they were weak merkins gobbing off abusing him the fact is it's not illegal to do it and whacking someone is no matter how much they might've deserved it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
not when it comes from an arseclown who rushes to defend the actions of AFL players no matter what they do
Remember when Bargearse ran down the street in Melbourne late one night? He was chasing some bloke and got the punch in before falling on his face. The AFL media painted Bargey as a hero.

1stNov2000

Juniors
What's such a big deal about "racist" taunts anyway? How is it any worse to be called a black merkin than say a motherf**king wanker? The racism angle is completely irrelevant. Relevant headline should read:

"Benji punches thug for being unfriendly."

You just don't get it, you simply will never understand.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Eels Dude said:
The media will contniue to do it though because they know what "news" is. This thread is based on a nothing incident yet it's still 10 pages long. Shows what a talking point it is.
Dudley, you're the one driving it. You've also re-invented your 'opinion' on the issue several times.

I have had some fun with this thread just to stir up Tigers fans but here's my actual opinion.
lol. The "I was just trolling" defence.

Eels Dude said:
These guys earn up to 10 times what most people their age are earning and their is responsibility to come from that.

Not just responsibility but they should be aware of the fact that if they head out at 3am in the middle of the city where just about everybody else is drunk off their toes, then there could be trouble regardless of whether they instigate it or not. Because everybody knows who they are and if they cop an odd insulting comment, racist or otherwise, they should be smart enough to just ignore it as opposed to decking a bloke. Because having such a high profile has it's downside.

So if Benji hit a bloke in the face because he was racially taunted, well he should known better really. With a profile like his, you cannot just do something like that and expect it to go un-noticed. It's not a hangable offence and hopefully not as bad as it sounds. People get into fights every weekend in the city and far worse than this one... but the best thing to do is walk away ESPECIALLY if you've a profile like Benji does. If he'd have done that he wouldn't be in this position at all, wouldn't have to speak to police etc. But you cannot have it both ways.
Oh... responsibility now. It's Helen Lovejoy again. What nonsense.

None of us know what really happened in this particular incident; so the whole passing judgment thing is way too premature. What we do know is that the tabloid media have a habit of embellishing the facts.

But hey, if you want to accept the tabloid media as being the moral compass of 'responsible' behaviour, then that's your choice.

You should have stuck with the "just trolling" line.

Funny thread...

LOL @ all the wowsers saying a grown man should in bed at 3:00am.

It's incredibly naive to think a high profile person is immune to controversy if they stayed indoors late at night. Tell that to Trent Barrett who was reported doing push-ups in his underpants at a private function. The media latched onto it and the bloke was forced to make a public apology in front of cameras. The wowsers and responsibility police had their victory.

Bottom line is that that it doesn't matter where it happens. You could be at The Rocks buying food at 3am, or hanging out in the privacy of your home in broad daylight. If there's an incident and someone catches it on camera or complains, the media jumps all over it... and often the player can be expected to be dragged over hot coals for no good reason.

There is the occasional serious incident that needs to be dealt with and the game is better off without certain players. But too many of these 'scandals' are non events.

Then there's the incidents that are milked for all their worth, even when sane people can see an overreaction is going on. The wowsers and responsibility cops are the ones driving it, the tabloids are merely meeting that demand.

Meanwhile, all the good stuff that players do in the community are considered to be non-events by the tabloids and their wowser readership. Talk about a screwed up set of values. Ironic.

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
Dudley, you're the one driving it. You've also re-invented your 'opinion' on the issue several times.

lol. The "I was just trolling" defence.

Oh... responsibility now. It's Helen Lovejoy again. What nonsense.

None of us know what really happened in this particular incident; so the whole passing judgment thing is way too premature. What we do know is that the tabloid media have a habit of embellishing the facts.

But hey, if you want to accept the tabloid media as being the moral compass of 'responsible' behaviour, then that's your choice.

You should have stuck with the "just trolling" line.

Funny thread...

LOL @ all the wowsers saying a grown man should in bed at 3:00am.

It's incredibly naive to think a high profile person is immune to controversy if they stayed indoors late at night. Tell that to Trent Barrett who was reported doing push-ups in his underpants at a private function. The media latched onto it and the bloke was forced to make a public apology in front of cameras. The wowsers and responsibility police had their victory.

Bottom line is that that it doesn't matter where it happens. You could be at The Rocks buying food at 3am, or hanging out in the privacy of your home in broad daylight. If there's an incident and someone catches it on camera or complains, the media jumps all over it... and often the player can be expected to be dragged over hot coals for no good reason.

There is the occasional serious incident that needs to be dealt with and the game is better off without certain players. But too many of these 'scandals' are non events.

Then there's the incidents that are milked for all their worth, even when sane people can see an overreaction is going on. The wowsers and responsibility cops are the ones driving it, the tabloids are merely meeting that demand.

Meanwhile, all the good stuff that players do in the community are considered to be non-events by the tabloids and their wowser readership. Talk about a screwed up set of values. Ironic.

Over the top response is it not?

Benji doesn't deserve the criticism he's getting. If I were him i'd probably react the same way. Morally he didn't do the right thing but legally he did do the wrong thing. Players just need to be careful though at the end of the day because the way the media treat players, and the ways 'fans' latch onto it and bag them and dominate talkback radio means they have to be extra careful. A lot more than the average joe like you or me. It's the price you pay for having a high profile. I don't agree with it, but like it or lump it it's just the way it is and high profile players DO need to do their best to try and avoid such situations as they are going to be the ones who suffer from it in the long run. If Benji had stayed inside at that time he wouldn't be facing an assault charge, and he wouldn't be having to spend a 5 figure number on legal representation. It may not be his fault that this situations occured, but that's why NRL players need to take certain steps because they're not average joes who can get into incidents like this and not be expected it to be found about.

seaeagle sam

This is all very well and good but how do we know there were racial taunts. If there were, how do we know Marshall and his mate punched the right bloke if there was taunts as Marshall's manager said. They may have hit the bloke who apparently came in to break up the fracas.

If were all going to believe Marshall's story, as told by his manager, shouldn't the bloke who copped the punch in the mouth be given equal consideration?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You gotta admit it was pretty funny though.

It was hilarious. At the next match at Kogarah, some fan ran onto the field in his undies, out pacing the security. He made to the halfway line and started doing push-ups. Everyone laughed.

He was fast too, maybe faster than Trent.

I understand Rusty and Souths were interested in signing him.

Eels Dud said:
Benji doesn't deserve the criticism he's getting. If I were him i'd probably react the same way. Morally he did the wrong thing but legally not.
I think you're getting confused.

Eels Dud said:
Players just need to be careful though at the end of the day because the way the media treat players, and the ways 'fans' latch onto it and bag them and dominate talkback radio means they have to be extra careful.
lol @ 'Players just need to be careful'. They are careful every other day of the week and do an abundance of great work in the community. You just don't seem to get it.

And I don't listen to talkback radio. Even if I did, I wouldn't care what some hypocrite was saying about morality and responsibility.