What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall not guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm

Spot On

Coach
With what? Calling people names? While i agree they were weak merkins gobbing off abusing him the fact is it's not illegal to do it and whacking someone is no matter how much they might've deserved it.

No it's not but most people don't need a law to be passed to realise they shouldn't do it. Unless you're a scumbag f**kwit that is. The bloke may have crossed a moral line, and if he did, he got what he deserved. I wonder if it was a shock to him or whether he was actually after that sort of reaction. If he was after a reaction then he's an attention deprived scumbag f**kwit who needs to address his upbringing and lack of male role models in his youth by seeking counselling to help him with his issues.:D

1stNov2000

Juniors
I don't get it either. Care to explain?

Personally, racial taunts from anyone, I see it as their way of trying to demean or degrade me, trying to belittle my culture and family. Imagine you're a minority in Zimbabwe or South Africa and they continuously bait you calling you 'white ct'...I'm not sure if you would strike back, I know I would.

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
You just don't get it, you simply will never understand.

z202459582.jpg

Big Mick

Referee
What a soft statement from Gallop

He should have been aggressive and said he supports Marshall.

He supports the fact that players are under so much pressure and the fact that there are people out there purposefully being aggressors to get a headline at the player and games expense.

Its an issue of player safety...and it should be stopped.

I hate this gossip column culture that is around, it sh*ts me. I love hearing great stories of players active in the community. I hate the fact these gossip mags don't even realise what they do.

1stNov2000

Juniors
I won't make a complaint and cry that a racist comment was made, just don't make a complaint why I smashed or kicked you in the side of the head in retaliation.

Eels Dude

Coach
I think you're getting confused.

I correct what I said within seconds of posting, so have another look and you'll get what I meant.

lol @ 'Players just need to be careful'. They are careful every other day of the week and do an abundance of great work in the community. You just don't seem to get it.

And I don't listen to talkback radio. Even if I did, I wouldn't care what some hypocrite was saying about morality and responsibility.

They don't HAVE to be. But it's better for their own sake that they do. Because they're the ones risking having contracts torn up, or being fined tens of thousands of dollars, or losing personal sponsorship deals, or simply put up with the negative media pressure by having your face in the papers for the wrong reasons.

I couldn't care less either... but it's the way it is for professional sporting stars. Tiger Woods didn't do anything illegal. He just did something a lot of other married men do every day. But he's going to pay for it for the rest of his life due to his high profile.

I'm not saying it's the way it SHOULD be. But it is the way it is.

mave

Coach
What a soft statement from Gallop

He should have been aggressive and said he supports Marshall.

He supports the fact that players are under so much pressure and the fact that there are people out there purposefully being aggressors to get a headline at the player and games expense.

Its an issue of player safety...and it should be stopped.

I hate this gossip column culture that is around, it sh*ts me. I love hearing great stories of players active in the community. I hate the fact these gossip mags don't even realise what they do.

Unfortunately, Gallop and the NRL have set a precedent of not publicly supporting players against baseless accusations/set ups,, etc

I was under the impression the "face of the game" got a 4 week ban regardless of circumstance?

Eels Dude

Coach
Personally, racial taunts from anyone, I see it as their way of trying to demean or degrade me, trying to belittle my culture and family. Imagine you're a minority in Zimbabwe or South Africa and they continuously bait you calling you 'white ct'...I'm not sure if you would strike back, I know I would.

True. I understand that etc.

But everybody is different and takes offence to different things. Nobody knows how different insults affect different people. Someone can laugh off a racial slur, others cannot. Some people can laugh off a sexist slur others cannot. Someone may take extreme offence to being called a merkin in general and wouldn't care whether it was preceded by the term 'black' or 'white'.

Corey Patterson took offence to Billy Slater sledging him about his depression. That is equally as bad as a racist taunt because to Patterson that was just as offensive personally as a racial taunt would be to Marshall.

So saying other people don't understand isn't really fair when you don't really know what every individual takes specific offence to.

1stNov2000

Juniors
True. I understand that etc.

But everybody is different and takes offence to different things. Nobody knows how different insults affect different people. Someone can laugh off a racial slur, others cannot. Some people can laugh off a sexist slur others cannot. Someone may take extreme offence to being called a merkin in general and wouldn't care whether it was preceded by the term 'black' or 'white'.

Corey Patterson took offence to Billy Slater sledging him about his depression. That is equally as bad as a racist taunt because to Patterson that was just as offensive personally as a racial taunt would be to Marshall.

So saying other people don't understand isn't really fair when you don't really know what every individual takes specific offence to.

Fair call. We're all different, that's why I said that Atilla just dosen't understand for that reason. Please don't get me wrong, I don't want you thinking I'm trying to fault him or anything, it's just that we are on two different streets, simple as that. I'm set in my ways, he's set in his, we'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Gallop and the NRL have set a precedent of not publicly supporting players against baseless accusations/set ups,, etc

I was under the impression the "face of the game" got a 4 week ban regardless of circumstance?

:(:(:(:(

Do you have to be a whiney bitch to be a Manly fan or is it just a coincidence?

This is all very well and good but how do we know there were racial taunts. If there were, how do we know Marshall and his mate punched the right bloke if there was taunts as Marshall's manager said. They may have hit the bloke who apparently came in to break up the fracas.

If were all going to believe Marshall's story, as told by his manager, shouldn't the bloke who copped the punch in the mouth be given equal consideration?

I would love the paper to name the bloke that he hit. His workmates, family and friends can all see the low dog that racially abused Benji.

fightingirish69

Juniors
benji spent the night raising 250k for kids of all different races? how many white kids have the guys who yelled the taunts benji helped.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
They don't HAVE to be. But it's better for their own sake that they do.
It's not your place to dictate what is best for their own good. Perhaps you think you own them.
Eels Dude said:
Because they're the ones risking having contracts torn up, or being fined tens of thousands of dollars, or losing personal sponsorship deals, or simply put up with the negative media pressure by having your face in the papers for the wrong reasons.
Talk about overreacting. If you think a minor incident carries that risk, then you either stop following the game or stop being sucked into the media crap. Fair dinkum, some people go out of their way to be offended.

It's obvious you want to past judgment but you're not up front enough to say it outright. You're so confused that you want to screw it up into some gesture of what you deem to be for the player's own good.

You still don't get it.

Eels Dude said:
I couldn't care less either...
You're not being honest.

Lucky for you you're not a first grade footballer.

Did you ever eat that falafel you took home to bed?
Eels Dude said:
but it's the way it is for professional sporting stars.
Only if you're an idiot. Bringing a player's minor personal indiscretions into the sport ruins it for people who just want to watch them play. They can all blow Joel Monaghan's dog for all I care.

The gutter merchants who promote this crap are often far from cleanskins themselves, and the gossip columnists are the first to cry foul when their own indiscretions are published.

Last edited:

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Willow you me and everyone else here has no idea what happened other than Benji's mangers version of events and the tele's version of events.

Lets wait and see what the police say before we get on our soapbox

Eels Dude

Coach
Fair call. We're all different, that's why I said that Atilla just dosen't understand for that reason. Please don't get me wrong, I don't want you thinking I'm trying to fault him or anything, it's just that we are on two different streets, simple as that. I'm set in my ways, he's set in his, we'll leave it at that.

No worries. Respect everything you have said and it makes sense and you're very correct.

Latest posts