What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall not guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm

Eels Dude

Coach
It's not your place to dictate what is best for their own good. Perhaps you think you own them. Talk about overreacting. If you think a minor incident carries that risk, then you either stop following the game or stop being sucked into the media crap. Fair dinkum, some people go out of their way to be offended.

You're missing my entire point. I'm not even attempting to tell them what to do. They can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned. If an incident occurs it's not even their fault they will be held liable to that just because that's how the media play the public.

It's obvious you want to past judgment but you're not up front enough to say it outright. You're so confused that you want to screw it up into some gesture of what you deem to be for the player's own good.

No idea what you're talking about there. I'm not confused at all. Well I am confused as to why i'm even repyling to your posts because you're commenting on, and picking up on stuff I've written and trying to twist into some agenda or reasoning that is completly off tangent as to what I'm saying.
You still don't get it.

You're not being honest.

Lucky for you you're not a first grade footballer.

Did you ever eat that falafel you took home to bed?Only if you're an idiot. Bringing a player's minor personal indiscretions into the sport ruins it for people who just want to watch them play. They can all blow Joel Monaghan's dog for all I care.

The gutter merchants who promote this crap are often far from cleanskins themselves, and the gossip columnists are the first to cry foul when their own indiscretions are published.

Exactly. They should be able to do whatever they want. But in the environment we live with digital media and the scrutiny they're under they will suffer consequences just because an incident happens that's not their fault. It SHOULDN"T be the way it is, but sadly it is. I don't see why you're being so hostile towards me when i'm just pointing out the obvious.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow you me and everyone else here has no idea what happened other than Benji's mangers version of events and the tele's version of events.

Lets wait and see what the police say before we get on our soapbox

Butch, with respect, you really should read posts before telling people what they are saying.

You are stating the obvious. But thanks.

To clarify, I'm not really talking about Benji Marshall. I already said, "none of us know what really happened in this particular incident; so the whole passing judgment thing is way too premature. What we do know is that the tabloid media have a habit of embellishing the facts."

Perhaps in your zeal to be righteous, you missed the wider issue being discussed.

cleary89

Coach
Personally, racial taunts from anyone, I see it as their way of trying to demean or degrade me, trying to belittle my culture and family. Imagine you're a minority in Zimbabwe or South Africa and they continuously bait you calling you 'white ct'...I'm not sure if you would strike back, I know I would.

I went to a selective high school and they called me white merkin.

Willow you me and everyone else here has no idea what happened other than Benji's mangers version of events and the tele's version of events.

Lets wait and see what the police say before we get on our soapbox

Given what crap reporters the Daily Telegraph have I am inclined to believe Benji's manager.

Loudstrat

Coach
A New Zealander who runs a charity to raise money for Australian kids with cancer was racially attacked by 8-10 Australians last night.

These 8 to 10 Australians might have just affected the lives of kids with cancer that Benji could have been able to help if their racial attack affects his public image and hurts his charity or disolves Benji's interest in helping Aussie kids after this type of gratitude is shown by us to him.

A punch in the face to a racist Australian by a New Zealander who has done more for sick Australian kids then that ignorant prick ever would?

Who should be getting vilified here?
You ya racist twat. How do you know hey were Australians? For all you know they could have been Scottish.

I would like to think that I have a decent set of morals and principles and from what I have read about this incident, if it's true that these blokes racially taunted and so forth Benji, than as far as I'm concerned the bloke probably got what he deserved (the tap on the chin). For the record I don't think the pedestal that kids and parents place upon these blokes is warranted. They are not role models, they are heroes. Role models are doctors, nurses, volunteers, people of that ilk, not someone who can bench press twice their body weight and run the hundred in under 11 secs. Anyone who spruiks off that these blokes should 'think of the children' and place any responsibility on players for the upbringing and influence of their own children need to rethink their parenting skills and attitude as far as I'm concerned.

If this bloke/blokes got in the face of Marshall and racially taunted him, and Benji has chirped back, who's to say this bloke didn't throw the first punch and missed and Benji has defended himself?? Hopefully they release the CCTV footage if there is any, as it would be very interesting to see the events leading up to Benji throwing one. For him to react like that, obviously something extreme has been said.

A few years ago I was in the situation of those blokes taunting Marshall. The Broncos were in Tvl for a Friday night game and were warming up before the game on the Brothers field next door to DFS. After an early knock off and a thousand rums, as I walked out of the leagues club and passed the field where the Broncos were going through their paces, I noticed Peter Wallace was placing a kick on the sideline, I went up to the fence and absolultey have given it to him. As I said in the first paragraph, I reckon I have a decent set of morals and I'd reckon most people who know me would say that I'm generally a decent bloke, but I will put my hand up and say I acted like a complete f**kwit this night. From memory, I sprouted out some bullsh*t about him having a single mother from Penrith (in a pretty bad way) to get under his skin and try and 'put him off' for the kick and the upcoming game. As I said it, he turned around and started to approach me, I honestly think he was going to belt me and if it wasn't for Sam Thaiday who rushed over and held him back, I honestly reckon he was going to do it because what I said obviously hit a raw nerve (this is all about 30 mins before kick off mind you).

In my mind I was doing my bit for my team, trying to put off the oppositions playmaker and all before kick off, and with a bit of dutch courage under my belt didn't really think of the consequences for my unwarranted abuse. If I ever have the opportunity to apologise and buy him a beer later in life, without trying to sound like a clown, I honestly say that I would do it. I totally deserved a smack in the mouth for what I said that night and I am the first to admit that. Maybe it's time for the other sh*t stirrers out there in society to admit the same..........
:clap: Quality stuff. I love how you admit to verballing a Bronco player with passionate hatred after a skinful of Bundy.

Given the opportunity, I would not have needed the Bundy..........

With what? Calling people names? While i agree they were weak merkins gobbing off abusing him the fact is it's not illegal to do it and whacking someone is no matter how much they might've deserved it.
Slander is. And technically, abusing someone is a form of assault. Swing around to the school bullying arm of the law, made current by the advent of cyber bullying and Youtube. You can't just wander around in packs abusing people.

Dazraider

Juniors
Well if yoru going to keep being racsist then you deserve a smack in the mouth and especially when its infront of your mates to prove how soft you really are as a merkin.
and how soft you must be if you start it then dont even have the balls to own up to it instead run to the cops and have a cry

Eels Dude

Coach
Not denying that for a second, just stating who I think is more believable between Benji's Manager and so called Daily Telegraph journalists.

They each have their own agendas they have to look after. But i'm more inclined to believe Benji's manager too. But I certainly won't treat what he's stated as gospel at the same time. More than likely there's probably a 70/30 split the difference to the truth in favour of Benji.

'My friend and I took a photo with him 40 seconds before the fight'
March 7, 2011
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-seconds-before-the-fight-20110306-1bjmr.html

A witness says Benji Marshall was in a jovial mood in the moments before the altercation that turned his world upside down, writes Glenn Jackson.

When the Footy Rocks dinner began at 7.40pm at the Four Season Hotel on Friday night, Benji Marshall had the world at his feet. Telling almost 400 guests at a fund-raiser for children with cancer of the experience of losing his father, he had much of the audience on their feet.

By 3.20am, as he walked across George Street back to the Four Seasons, where he was staying, part of that world had crumbled around him. In between, Marshall was in high spirits. He had been the host of the charity dinner in the Four Seasons ballroom. When the official function was over, he signed autographs and posed for photographs for about half an hour.

''We had a table of 10 on the night,'' said Angus Kingsmill, the managing director of the Mambo clothing company. ''Us and the surrounding tables, we were all just blown away by how compassionate and caring [Marshall] was. Cancer was so close to his heart. He was getting quite emotional when he was talking about his father.

Advertisement: Story continues below
''He seemed incredibly giving of his time. And what his mother said the other day touched me - this is not even the country of his birth, yet he's supporting Australian kids.

''There were a few on our table who stood and cheered him.''

Leaving the ballroom, and with $244,000 raised for the Children's Cancer Institute, Marshall went downstairs to the foyer bar with friends. He drank some alcohol but those who were with him insist he was not drunk. Still in his suit, flanked by his girlfriend, some teammates and friends, he left to go to Establishment, the hip George Street bar.

About 3am, Marshall felt hungry. He will probably regret that attack of the munchies because after signing about 50 autographs in McDonald's, he was involved in an altercation on the footpath, one witness said.

''We took photographs with him,'' Jenny, a witness in the restaurant, told 2KY yesterday. ''He was signing autographs, shaking everybody's hands. He was in amazing spirits.

''He was in a suit, all dressed up; the people he was with were also in their suits … my friend and I took a photo with him I'd say 40 seconds before the fight broke out. We were about to walk off and watch him sign everybody else's autographs and take photos. We were a little bit star-struck … A few guys came up to him - a lot were shaking his hand. Then we saw Benji Marshall start to cross the road, then he turns around and walked back with a friend. It all broke out. It wasn't that bad. It wasn't a big fight or anything, but it did happen.''

Jenny said Marshall was not intoxicated as he mingled with about 40 fans. ''He could have have just walked away but he was such a good sport,'' she said, adding that the altercation lasted about 10 seconds. ''I hope more people do … give their version because that's how it happened.''

She didn't hear what sparked the fight. ''We weren't close enough to hear what they were saying but we did hear one voice calling out to him. For him to turn around, it must have been quite nasty.''

By 2pm yesterday, Marshall was in a suit again … at North Sydney Police Station.

Marshall faces suspension after assault charge laid
Steve Jancetic
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...after-assault-charge-laid-20110306-1bjla.html

March 7, 2011
THE NRL is facing the prospect of suspending its pin-up boy for the season-opener for the second time in three years after Wests Tigers superstar Benji Marshall was charged with assault.

Marshall will face Downing Centre local court on April 20 to answer a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm following an altercation outside a McDonald's outlet on George Street in Sydney's CBD just after 3am on Saturday.

A 24-year-old male is alleged to have received a split lip as a result of the attack, with Marshall believed to have retaliated to a series of racial taunts.

Marshall, 26, was questioned and charged after he fronted North Sydney Police Station yesterday afternoon, accompanied by Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys and chairman David Trodden.

The incident left the NRL in damage control just days out from the season kick-off, with chief executive David Gallop ordering the Tigers to deliver a full report by midday today.

Marshall was last week given the honour of launching the NRL season at a gala event in Sydney's west but, much like Brett Stewart in 2009, the ''face of the game'' is in danger of starting the season on the sideline.

Stewart was suspended for four weeks for breaching the NRL's code of conduct as a result of his drunkenness at Manly's season launch two years ago.

AAP

Marshall charged with assault
Glenn Jackson and Les Kennedy
March 7, 2011
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/marshall-charged-with-assault-20110306-1bjnz.html

In demand ... NRL poster boy Benji Marshall addresses last week's season launch at the Casula Powerhouse arts centre. Photo: Getty Images
THE NRL has demanded a report by midday today from Wests Tigers officials after the club's star Benji Marshall, the face of the game in 2011, was charged with assault.

NRL officials will face pressure to act following Marshall's altercation with a man in the early hours of Saturday morning – the altercation and the subsequent charges coming just days after the five-eighth launched the new season. Marshall, 26, who is believed to have engaged the services of Geoff Bellew, SC, to represent him, was interviewed by detectives yesterday before being charged with one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm. Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys said last night some key facts were in dispute.

Marshall's manager, Martin Tauber, had said repeated racial slurs prompted the Kiwi captain to respond.

"When you're baited and racially abused like that – not once, not twice, but three times, what else would you do?" Tauber told The Sun-Herald.

The Herald has been told the victim, in his statement, makes no mention of any racial comment, only saying he told Marshall that "Darren Lockyer is a better player".

The Herald was also contacted by a friend of the victim who denied that a racial slur was used. Sources close to Marshall, though, insist that the victim, who received a cut lip, was acting aggressively and the player was entitled to feel threatened.

Those disputed facts have clouded the issue and will make the job of NRL boss David Gallop and the Tigers difficult in deciding a penalty. The facts around the drink-driving arrest and charge of Rooster Todd Carney, who was fined $10,000, were not in dispute.

"It's an unfortunate incident that has occurred," Humphreys said. "The timing of the incident is also regrettable. That said, it's subject to a legal process that we all need to respect.

"The facts are in dispute. The justice system needs to sort through all of that and eventually reach some sort of determination. Given that situation, we don't see that it's our position to make any sort of judgment."

But Gallop, in a strongly worded statement, said timing was everything.

“We can't escape the fact that the game does not need to be dealing with an issue such as this at such an important time of year,” he said. "The responsibility all players face at this time of year is clear and to some extent the level of responsibility rises with a player's profile, irrespective of his record. Players are not always in the wrong but incidents such as these will always demand close scrutiny by the game and the public. In every instance we have given the clubs the first opportunity to investigate and act upon behavioural matters before determining the need for any NRL intervention. I have spoken to Wests Tigers and they are aware of the need to address the matter as soon as practical. We cannot and should not attempt to replace the court system but we also need to be confident that we are doing all we can to assess the matter."

But Gallop added: "Clearly if there are matters that are in dispute then the correct place for this to take part is the court system. That has been a well-established practice on our part.”

The timing is poor not only because it came days after the launch and before the start of the new season. Gallop faced criticism last week for not demanding sterner action by the Roosters following Carney's arrest, notably from Manly coach Des Hasler. Hasler was highly critical of the $10,000 fine handed out to Carney after fullback Brett Stewart, the face of the 2009 NRL season, was suspended for four matches for being drunk at the club's season launch. The Sea Eagles were also fined $100,000.

TheDalek079

Bench
Marshall faces suspension after assault charge laid
Steve Jancetic
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...after-assault-charge-laid-20110306-1bjla.html

March 7, 2011
THE NRL is facing the prospect of suspending its pin-up boy for the season-opener for the second time in three years after Wests Tigers superstar Benji Marshall was charged with assault.

Marshall will face Downing Centre local court on April 20 to answer a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm following an altercation outside a McDonald's outlet on George Street in Sydney's CBD just after 3am on Saturday.

A 24-year-old male is alleged to have received a split lip as a result of the attack, with Marshall believed to have retaliated to a series of racial taunts.

Marshall, 26, was questioned and charged after he fronted North Sydney Police Station yesterday afternoon, accompanied by Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys and chairman David Trodden.

The incident left the NRL in damage control just days out from the season kick-off, with chief executive David Gallop ordering the Tigers to deliver a full report by midday today.

Marshall was last week given the honour of launching the NRL season at a gala event in Sydney's west but, much like Brett Stewart in 2009, the ''face of the game'' is in danger of starting the season on the sideline.

Stewart was suspended for four weeks for breaching the NRL's code of conduct as a result of his drunkenness at Manly's season launch two years ago.

AAP

How is Benji facing suspension?? No word from the NRL in the article suggest it. typical bullshyte sensationalist headline. wouldn't have thought SMH would do that

Latest posts