What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall not guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm

Willow

Assistant Moderator
1. Definately not....

Why would any NRL fan want to see any player/official/manager/associate/etc being found giulty of anything against the law. This is just cannon foddder for the AFL or RU to use agianst us in the battle for the kids.

2. Most definately not.

I would, however, like to see the NRL suspend all players for a period of time, after thay have have been tried by law and found guilty.
So why are Manly supporters so uptight about this alleged Marshall incident?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Gallop was wrong in suspending Stewart, if he was found Guilty Manly would have had no choice but to terminate his contract, Gallop over-reacted

and on Benji, if he gets found guilty then suspend him & fine him
Comparing apples and oranges?

Berkeley_Eagle said:
lets talk footy now
There's plenty of threads where we talk footy.

Are you saying you're done discussing off field controversy?

Big Mick

Referee
URGH Watching Ch.10 is painful

"At least there is good news for one Rugby League player"
"Yes its about time"

f**king biased merkins.

mave

Coach
So why are Manly supporters so uptight about this alleged Marshall incident?

I cannot speak for any one other than myself....

Personally, I'm "uptight" about this alleged Marshall incident, because...

Stewart was suspended, giving an impression of supposed guilt, by the NRL, before any formal legal proceedings had been finalised.

In my opinion, Stewart paid the price for previous transgressions from other players and media pressure.

In my opinion, no player/manager/representative/etc, should be sanctioned or punished by the governing body until guilt has been proven in a court of law.

Gallop has set the precedent.

Either apologise to Stewart for over-reacting or continue the precedent.

Garts

Bench
Maybe if Kevin Rudd replaces Gallop you might get a apology Mave. Until then you are wasting your breath.

Benji Marshall is one of the greatest human beings on earth. If he made a decision to snuff a hater, then it must of been the right decision.

F*ck the media and this image of the game sh*t. Sometimes in life you can't just walk way, sometimes you have to fight.

Can't let justice fall by the wayside. Eagles fans will continue to fire up with justification until there is a solution.

Stewart was left a couple of hundred thou' out of pocket, suspended with no justification, his reputation shattered and went through over a year of immense emotional torment. Stewart is a cleanskin and has inspired many by carving up at the top level while coping with the disability of diabetes.

Gallop played a leading role in ruining Brett's life. Getting Gallop to fall on his sword will vanquish many demons.

Diablo is hooked on Watmough. I'd gladly sit him out for a few weeks. He's got an ego and needs a serious reality check.

Eels Dude

Coach
I cannot speak for any one other than myself....

Personally, I'm "uptight" about this alleged Marshall incident, because...

Stewart was suspended, giving an impression of supposed guilt, by the NRL, before any formal legal proceedings had been finalised.

In my opinion, Stewart paid the price for previous transgressions from other players and media pressure.

In my opinion, no player/manager/representative/etc, should be sanctioned or punished by the governing body until guilt has been proven in a court of law.

Gallop has set the precedent.

Either apologise to Stewart for over-reacting or continue the precedent.

Then get over it already. The Stewart situation is done and dusted and not worth re-visiting. In hindsight perhaps the NRL made too harsh a call at the time but it's over now and we shouldn't be bringing it up every time an off field incident occurs or has been alledged to have occured.

Eels Dude

Coach
Can't let justice fall by the wayside. Eagles fans will continue to fire up with justification until there is a solution.

Stewart was left a couple of hundred thou' out of pocket, suspended with no justification, his reputation shattered and went through over a year of immense emotional torment. Stewart is a cleanskin and has inspired many by carving up at the top level while coping with the disability of diabetes.

Gallop played a leading role in ruining Brett's life. Getting Gallop to fall on his sword will vanquish many demons.

Diablo is hooked on Watmough. I'd gladly sit him out for a few weeks. He's got an ego and needs a serious reality check.

What the hell did Gallop have to do with the initial complaint, the police investigation, the court case that followed, Stewart's legal fees, and the media's obsession with celebrity? All he did was hand the bloke a 4 week suspension because Manly refused to act.

mave

Coach
What the hell did Gallop have to do with the initial complaint, the police investigation, the court case that followed, Stewart's legal fees, and the media's obsession with celebrity? All he did was hand the bloke a 4 week suspension because Manly refused to act.

Why did Manly have to act?

What did they have to act upon? :?

I was simply highlighting the plight that Stewart was in. I never said Gallop caused it but his reaction, lack of faith and lack of communication with Stewart imposed a sense of guilt on Stewart. I see he extended the courtesy of communication to Carney last week. Had he possessed the right outlook he could have changed the whole scenario.

Eels Dude

Coach
Why did Manly have to act?

What did they have to act upon? :?

Being drunk at an official team function a few days after being named face of the game and thus 'bringing the game into disrepute' which I agree is a very loose term.

I was simply highlighting the plight that Stewart was in. I never said Gallop caused it but his reaction, lack of faith and lack of communication with Stewart imposed a sense of guilt on Stewart. I see he extended the courtesy of communication to Carney last week. Had he possessed the right outlook he could have changed the whole scenario.

Not really. Stewart would have still had to face an extremely lengthy court case and pay his six figure sum in legal bills no matter what. Gallop didn't contribute to that. The media were responsible for the negative press Stewart recieved, not David Gallop. He gave the bloke a 4 week suspension, but that's hardly ruining someone's life.

Being drunk at an official team function a few days after being named face of the game and thus 'bringing the game into disrepute' which I agree is a very loose term.

Not really. Stewart would have still had to face an extremely lengthy court case and pay his six figure sum in legal bills no matter what. Gallop didn't contribute to that. The media were responsible for the negative press Stewart recieved, not David Gallop. He gave the bloke a 4 week suspension, but that's hardly ruining someone's life.

It's debatable. As the CEO Gallop's opinion holds far more power than your average Joe.

I'm imagining that he could have spoken with Stewart on the night and than come up with a press release along the lines of, 'I've spoken with the accused player. He had a club function... responsibly caught a cab home before the alleged incident occured. I've spoken with him and have no reason to believe that any punishment should be forthcoming. The issue will be for the police and courts to decide...

There will always be animosity towards Gallop for his exceptionally poor handling of the situation. His method poured fuel onto the fire.

Latest posts