What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall not guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm

Keffola

Juniors
FFS it's not the police's responsibility or the prosecution's responsibility to 'prove' he was drunk. Their responsiblity started and ended with an allegation of sexual assault.

Gallop responded and suspended Stewart due to him being ejected from Manly's season launch after prior being refused service. How many times do Manly fans need to be explained that. Yes it was over the top. Yes he wouldn't have been punished if the situation hadn't drawn media interest due to a criminal charge being layed. Just get over it already.

While it wasn't the police's or prosecution's responsibility to prove Brett was drunk, that was the angle the prosecution tried to go with because otherwise the assault would be so out of character. Ie. they wanted to show that he was drunk so that he wasn't in full control of his actions which is why the assault happened. Unfortunately for them they couldn't prove this as there were many witnesses gave evidence to the fact that he wasn't drunk.

Regardless you are right. Manly fans do have to let it go. I think Gallop knows he made a mistake with Brett, and hence the more leniency shown to Todd Carney and Benji. You can't argue that Gallop did the wrong thing and then insist he continue to make the same mistakes just for the sake of consistency.

bobmar28

Bench
Did I hear a reporter on channel 7 news last night say Benji's accuser got into a car with Israel Folau? My kids were talking at the time but that's what it sounded like.

carcharias

Immortal
He should have been stood down.

Every other bloke who has done something wrong has been stood down........oh hang on....
forgot ...NRL... one rule for some and another rule for others.

Big Mick

Referee
I think it was

"Meanwhile Benji Marshalls former League colleague Israel Folau will make his debut for GWS this week in wherever they are playing"

Big Mick

Referee
I think it was

"Meanwhile Benji Marshalls former League colleague Israel Folau will make his debut for GWS this week in wherever they are playing"

taxidriver

Coach
Marshall and Falou both live in Breakfast Point, wouldn't be surprised if they were in a car together

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
I'm glad Marshall and Carney weren't suspended, they shouldn't have been just as Stewart shouldn't have been.

We can all see that Stewart was unfairly dealt with, and I can even understand why the NRL can't publicly admit that they were wrong in that decision.

What pisses me off though is that goose Gallop is still justifying Stewart's suspension saying he did the wrong thing. As hard as they tried, there was no proof that he was blind drunk that night, like Gallop and the news articles at the time would have you believe. Gallop should make no more comments in regards to Stewart's suspension, and he should seek a meeting to smooth things over with the Manly club who are rightfully pissed off.

I agree the Manly club and our fans should move on, but it is tough when Gallop defends other high profile players in trouble yet still puts the boot into Stewart with some pretty poor comments yesterday.

You can have a go at us Manly fans but you all know if it was your club in our shoes you would be pissed off. Instead of inflaming the situation of inconsistent punishments by making more poor comments on Stewart's supposed behaviour that night, he should be working with the Manly club to reach an understanding so the club and the game can move on.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
I just can't fathom that Gallop, a lawyer no less, has such a poor track record of this sort of thing. He should be quite adept at evidence/precedent/consistency of ruling etc.

carcharias

Immortal
^

the games is a complete rort.
One only has to recall how Joey Johns used to get off certain things come SOO and finals time.
It has been going on for yonks.