What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall not guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm

carcharias

Immortal
nice try .

You were probably looking at my sig and got confused?

It was late last night...maybe you were drunk.

Only you mentioned Gallen.

and I think if you read it again.. you will see that I actually infer that only some get stood down while others get away with similar stuff.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
FMD, get over it. It's not like Manly were a one man team in 2010.

What does that have to do with anything at all, for starters we are talking about 2009 not 2010.

Manly are simply speaking up over an injustice against one of our players and our club. In light of other recent events, had that injustice ($100K fine and 4 week suspension) happened to your club and player I'm sure you would have something to say also.

Most people on here seem to hate Gallop, I thought you would enjoy seeing a club publicly give it to him and highlight his mistakes.

gronkathon

First Grade
The problem I have is the fact that Manly are just fueling the media fire. The incident involving Marshall and the DUI of Carney are bad enough individually but to have the Manly club almost gleefully taking advantage of this and allowing the words sexual assault and rugby league player to again sit side by side in the media is just downright stupid and selfish from where I stand

Tigger Madness

Juniors
I hate Manly as much as the next person but I can see they have a point. The NRL should apologize and hand back the $100k to Manly.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
The problem I have is the fact that Manly are just fueling the media fire. The incident involving Marshall and the DUI of Carney are bad enough individually but to have the Manly club almost gleefully taking advantage of this and allowing the words sexual assault and rugby league player to again sit side by side in the media is just downright stupid and selfish from where I stand

Yeah it isn't a great look, but if Gallop was any sort of leader he would sit down with Stewart and Manly to work on our grievances. Instead he inflames the situation with poorly worded press releases.

We live in a democracy not a dictatorship, we have a problem with the leadership of the game and we're speaking up about it. If that embarrasses you then so be it, but the NRL made the mistake here, we're just pointing it out in a hope to get a resolution that we're satisfied with.

gronkathon

First Grade
If the initial approach had been made by the Eagles to the NRL after the Carney situation happened in private rather than the media and Dessy began his whine-o-rama than it may have gone differently as well.

I can see fault with both sides but really the NRL is not a democracy. The clubs give up their individual power in many aspects to be governed by an overseeing body.

FTR I do not agree with the length of ban for Stewart. One or two weeks tops. But I also believe Manly shaould have been fined a shed load more than they were for arranging a public piss up with no controls in place at all it would seem. To do this as the reigning premiers no less was disgraceful management

skeepe

Immortal
I can honestly say that if Dessie had kept his great big gob shut in the first place, I never would have thought of the name Brett Stewart in relation to the Carney and Marshall incidents.

The next time the Manly board want to unload on someone for continually bringing him into it, they should look at their own employees.

sretsoor

Juniors
We live in a democracy not a dictatorship, we have a problem with the leadership of the game and we're speaking up about it. If that embarrasses you then so be it, but the NRL made the mistake here, we're just pointing it out in a hope to get a resolution that we're satisfied with.

BS. If Manly had genuine concerns they would approach the NRL direct rather than through the media. They are doing themselves no favour not too mention are the ones keeping Stewarts name in the press and for what? I for one would think Stewart would like to move on, focus on returning to ffoty this weekend yet his club has rehashed it all in the papers days leading up to it. Whats to be gained?

Keffola

Juniors
any word on when their Watmong complaint is coming?

Manly are saying that the decision not to suspend Carney and Marshall is correct, leave it to the courts to decide.

So why would they be complaining about Watmough at all???? The NRL also left that alone for the police and courts as well?

Use some common sense. Manly are only complaining about Brett Stewarts treatment by the NRL.

adamkungl

Immortal
So you honestly believe that the Manly club did nothing wrong in the way that fuction was handled?

Fact remains that there has been no similar punishment for any player or club before or after. It was ridiculously over the top because Gallop had his knickers in a knot over a bunch of other completely unrelated issues.

Manly and Stewart = Scapegoat.

gronkathon

First Grade
In terms of a club function I don't think there has been a comparable case since.

Considering it was the season launch of the defending premiers and the behaviour that occured there removing the Stewart incident from the equation all in the presence of club officials and coaching staff who allowed it to happen

no name

Coach
Manly are saying that the decision not to suspend Carney and Marshall is correct, leave it to the courts to decide.

So why would they be complaining about Watmough at all???? The NRL also left that alone for the police and courts as well?

Use some common sense. Manly are only complaining about Brett Stewarts treatment by the NRL.[/QUOTE]

Two years later? Common sense would be that this issue is in the past and that complaining now will get them nowhere.

Keffola

Juniors
In terms of a club function I don't think there has been a comparable case since.

Considering it was the season launch of the defending premiers and the behaviour that occured there removing the Stewart incident from the equation all in the presence of club officials and coaching staff who allowed it to happen

I think there's been plenty of club functions have happened since that time where players were served alcohol. None of them drew the same attention because no one got accused for anything afterwards..........

Perth Red

Post Whore
so back to the op (Manly thread everyone!) are the police investigating racial vilification and has Benji made an official complaint against the people hassling him?

gronkathon

First Grade
I think there's been plenty of club functions have happened since that time where players were served alcohol. None of them drew the same attention because no one got accused for anything afterwards..........

Any of them been so drunk that they belted a sponsor and harassed his young daughter?

Latest posts