What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Rumour

Pistol_Pete

Juniors
I can't believe the out of touch spastics on 9 asked if he would be booed and catcalled. They really have no idea on 9. I don't think anyone will boo him. He has given each and every one of us our best memories in rugby league. Most of us just wanted 1 comp win in our lives and without Benji in 2005 we don't make the 8, let alone win the comp.

Ditto 2010 if he doesn't recover in time for the Canberra semi, we don't win that game.

Benji (as with most stars) has a massive ego and he was surrounded by too many who for too long have told him how wonderful he is (Sheens and Tauber in particular) to the point he couldn't see how his performances were deteriorating.

This has been handled badly, mainly by his manager but the last year or so should not detract from the years of joy he gave us. I think our win ratio without him early on was sub 35% and with him it was well over 50%. He put doubt in defenders' minds and every try we scored seemed to come off him. He'd take the line on and get us on the front foot. Nowadays he plays in a dinner suit, crabs across field and crowds his runners out.

Anyone who boos him is a disgrace. If you want to boo players save it for the dogshit non entities like Morris, Fitzy, Reynolds, Graham, Sattler clones

Tiger05

First Grade
Anyone who boos him is a disgrace.

Agreed. I'd also state that anyone who has said stupid shit regarding his character is also a disgrace.

Benji has provided us with so many great moments on the field and has represented himself and the club fantastically well off the field as well.

brooksy19

Bench
I've come around a bit now, Good luck Benji in Rugby, hope you kill it and enjoy your self.

It's just really sad that it hasn't ended the way we all probably thought it would, going out into retirment round 26 2016/17 at Leichhardt or Campbelltown.

What if he plays well in Union and then in a couple of years comes back for a farewell season, on 300K, I wouldn't say no.

Wish the Souths game was at The Den.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed. I'd also state that anyone who has said stupid shit regarding his character is also a disgrace.

Benji has provided us with so many great moments on the field and has represented himself and the club fantastically well off the field as well.

Benji's comments of late have not helped his image though, surely you agree. I think it's fair for him to be criticised over the handling of this whole affair. It was like a PR campaign that went woefully wrong but it was persisted with.

I have no doubt that was purely the work of Tauber.

I spent last night reading articles about him from as far back as 2007 and I've changed my view a little.

I think he had decided a while ago he didn't want to play NRL anymore because he was bored. He's achieved everything a NZ Rugby League player could hope to achieve at the highest level of the game. An NRL premiership, a World Cup win, Captaining his country, winning the four nations, awarded the Golden Boot.

I think he has been struggling to find ways to motivate himself to keep playing.

This whole PR campaign was most likely entirely Tauber's work to increase his commission.

I hope and pray that we don't get all nasty and petty and start booing Benji.

He has given his all to us.

He was a boom kid with massive wraps who delivered.

Other clubs bagged him, only because they didn't have him.

We all a DVD now that we can watch whenever we want of our club doing a lap of honour.

Go back and watch the final series, without him.....enough said.

Gareth Ellis left early, Beau, Heighno, Gibbo, and Aysh were all pushed out early, it happens.

Let's be thankful we had him, let's show him how much we appreciate him and what he has given us and the club on and off the field.

There will never be another Benji.

Magpie Tragic

Juniors
I just love watching Benji play, or at least I used to, and we all owe him a great deal IMO for what he has done for the club & supporters over the years.
Having said that, he has been richly rewarded (oh that's right it's not about money, I forgot) for his efforts. Now he says WT's forced him out of the club by issuing him an ultimatum, "make up your mind are you staying or going"..and fair enough I say.

It is no coincidence that days after it was announced he was going, that WT's extended the contracts of 4 or 5 young guns. ummmmm????
Join the dots on that Benji, as much as you have done for the club "at the end of the day" LOL it's not all about you. Good luck to you in the future, but more importantly good luck to the club in the future, that's what it's all about.
I think tonights game will show us a lot about Mr Marshall, as a WT's supporter I really hope he has a real dig. Not for himself but for the team & us long suffering supporters. Bring it on, but if he serves up the same crap then move him on now so we can do the same post Benji.

Tiger05

First Grade
Benji's comments of late have not helped his image though, surely you agree. I think it's fair for him to be criticised over the handling of this whole affair. It was like a PR campaign that went woefully wrong but it was persisted with.

I think that this is partially correct. I also think some of the posts that I have seen show the character of some of the people involved. The personal attacks towards Benji to me have been pretty disgusting.

gronkathon

First Grade
Nobody will boo him. No Wests Tigers fans anyway.

The only ex Wests Tiger I even boo is Prince and only because of the way he dogged us.

Oh and Glenn Morrisson but he is a whole other story

Magpie Tragic

Juniors

The only ex Wests Tiger I even boo is Prince and only because of the way he dogged us.

The last player I boo'd was Wally Lewis at State Of Origin, and I wasn't on my own there. I never have & never will boo ANY WT player.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I hope he finds his old form for the rest of the season. Come on Benji - your last games of rugby league - play like you used to.

moller

Juniors

Luke O'Donnell deserves a place on that list.

brooksy19

Bench
Hopefully he plays a bit more care-free in a good way, by running the ball more rather then thinking im just here to tell the forwards where to run and dump the ball off to a centre / wide running back rower or kick.

Its like a break up, at first I was in denial hoping it wouldn't happen - blinded by the good times that have long passed, then I was furious at him for 'walking out' on us, now I feel its for the best and hopefully no hard feelings, wish him well and thanks for the good times.

Now lets get some #breakupsex - finals football !!

brooksy19

Bench
I think it was also good to hear it from the 'horses mouth' and that he still loved the club, just couldn't go through the motions any more.. whether its bullshit and he means it or not, I thinks its good for both parties to move on from it now.

Its his life, who are we to tell him what he should or shouldn't do, I'm sure deep down he's still that fresh faced kid that we all remember and loved.

dumpy

Juniors
I will always recall Benji as a world class running five eighth creating panic in the opposition. Sadly this form has evaporated due to a number of reasons.
Football these days is a business and according to his manager, West Tigers offered a substantial upgrade but this was not accepted.
He has chosen another path for his future and we should not forget that he was instrumental in providing a Grand Final WIN. Some teams have not achieved this.
Benji has placed himself in a precarious position whereby no matter how he plays, he will come under even more criticism.
We have to move on because the youngsters are the future just as Benji was in 2003.

macnaz

Staff member
I think it was also good to hear it from the 'horses mouth' and that he still loved the club, just couldn't go through the motions any more.. whether its bullshit and he means it or not, I thinks its good for both parties to move on from it now.

Its his life, who are we to tell him what he should or shouldn't do, I'm sure deep down he's still that fresh faced kid that we all remember and loved.

Stop it mate you'll have me in tears lol.

macnaz

Staff member
Hopefully he plays a bit more care-free in a good way, by running the ball more rather then thinking im just here to tell the forwards where to run and dump the ball off to a centre / wide running back rower or kick.

Its like a break up, at first I was in denial hoping it wouldn't happen - blinded by the good times that have long passed, then I was furious at him for 'walking out' on us, now I feel its for the best and hopefully no hard feelings, wish him well and thanks for the good times.

Now lets get some #breakupsex - finals football !!

This made me laugh , although its a probably a very fair description of how a lot of people have been feeling about the decision he has made.

Latest posts