What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji set to defect over Gallop's stance

icewind

Juniors
if coke wanted to keep there employee but he wanted 3 months off to go and work for a Japanese fruit juice company then i bet they would.

no, it's more like a pepsi usa employee wanting to go over and work for coke in uganda or the congo for 3 months and expect to be rehired afterwards.......

shiznit

Coach
i get the feeling the NRL will really suffer for Gallop's stupid statements.

all it will take is one player to challenge them in court with restraint of trade in various circumstances... Benji could sue if the dont register him if hes a free agent... Greg Bird could sue them if hes not charged and they wont register him... or maybe another player will finally challenge the cap. and if one of them wins the floodgates will really open.

at least at the moment the NRL can add conditions on these players... if they goto court and lose they will have no power at all...

i get the feeling the NRL will really suffer for Gallop's stupid statements.

all it will take is one player to challenge them in court with restraint of trade in various circumstances... Benji could sue if the dont register him if hes a free agent... Greg Bird could sue them if hes not charged and they wont register him... or maybe another player will finally challenge the cap. and if one of them wins the floodgates will really open.

at least at the moment the NRL can add conditions on these players... if they goto court and lose they will have no power at all...

This sounds just like the same thing when SBW was thinking about taking them to court.

Bezant

Juniors
One moment here people. This is not necessarily about the NRL and the Tigers. It about Rugby League and its closest competitor Rugby Union. At the same time Benji wants to go gallivanting across Japan Rugby League will be holding its Four Nation Tournament in Europe where the (World Champion) NZ kiwis will be taking part.

Why would be want one of our most bankable players to be playing in a fourth rate comp in another Code in Asia when he could be playing international Rugby League for the game he supposedly loves?????

Are we serious?!?!?

Look I'd like to go off and earn $1m for three months work but I wouldn't expect my current employer to have a positon for me when I get back...especially if I was working for a competitor while I was away....please look at it from the employers perspective for a moment..especially if you feel you have plenty of young up and comers ready to take the place of the guy who's left.

Last edited:

StormChaser

First Grade
One moment here people. This is not necessarily about the NRL and the Tigers. It about Rugby League and its closest competitor Rugby Union. At the same time Benji wants to go gallivanting across Japan Rugby LEague will be holding its Four Nation Tournament in Europe where the (World Champion) NZ kiwis will be taking part.

Why would be want one of our most bankable players to be playing in a fourth rate comp in another Code in Asia when he could be playing international Rugby League for the game he supposedly loves?????

Are we serious?!?!?

Look I'd like to go off and earn $1m for three months work but I wouldn't expect my current employer to have a positon for me when I get back...especially if I was working for a competitor while I was away....please be serious

Exactly! Even if he's off contract it's about loyalty to the code, the brand that made him worth a cool mill in the first place.

Parra

Referee
One moment here people. This is not necessarily about the NRL and the Tigers. It about Rugby League and its closest competitor Rugby Union. At the same time Benji wants to go gallivanting across Japan Rugby League will be holding its Four Nation Tournament in Europe where the (World Champion) NZ kiwis will be taking part.

Are we serious?!?!?

Look I'd like to go off and earn $1m for three months work but I wouldn't expect my current employer to have a positon for me when I get back...especially if I was working for a competitor while I was away....please look at it from the employers perspective for a moment..especially if you feel you have plenty of young up and comers ready to take the place of the guy who's left.

His current employer is the Tigers. It is up to them whether they hold a position for him when he gets back. Not your boss, not David Gallop, not Rupert Murdoch. It is up to the Tigers.

Maybe they will change their mind. If Benji plays in Japan he might need to find a new employer - maybe another NRL club. Why should the Tigers, the NRL or anyone else have anything to do with this?

Some people seem to want regulations to cover every part of their lives.

bobbis

Juniors
I don't see any problem salary cap if Marshall signs for $100 000 less because he gets an off season in Japan. Playing 3 months in Japan presents a real risk of injury, thus he's worth less. It potentiall could make him tired due to playing 12 months of football, potntial niggling injuries and a lack of pre season training. He'd be worth less playing 3 months in Japan.

He's off contract so I don't see it as a breach of contract. Also there's plenty of players who have had an off season stint in England this is no different.

Japan rugby isn't in competition with the NRL. Japanese rugby isn't broadcast into this country and if the NRL is broadcast into Japan the audience and revenue would be minimal. If the NRL is broadcast into Japan this would be like free advertising.

TheNRL would be better off having players play overseas in the off season than lose them completely. However this will come with a cost, tired players, niggling injuries and season ending injuries over the off season.

The real isse is this is purely for money so the NRL needs to re think its cap and third party payments. The NRL is losing players not because its lacks the finances but because of how its distributes the money. The salary cap is 4.1 million with clubs revenues at least 10 million up to over 20 million. The NFL cap is indexed at around 65% of revenue, the NBA around 57%, other major American leagues have similar figures. I suspect that if you compared European and Japanese rugby clubs they'd spend a far higher percentage of their revenue on player wages than NRL clubs. Added to this is the effect of sponsorship restrictions that the NRL has imposed. If clubs can't spend their revenue on players they'll spend it on other methods to gain an advantage. As long as the NRL wants to compete with one hand tied behind its back rugby clubs will continue to see its players as easy pickings. The cap can be increased without killing clubs, it might mean some clubs have to do with 1 less wrestling coach or maseuse or clubs don't throw as much money at as many juniors to tie them up in contracts at age 15 or 16.

Bluebags1908

Juniors

Are we serious?!?!?

Simple - allow him to go to Japan after the Four Nations. I honestly think that Benji would want to stay to play in the 4N. And if he doesn't agree then tell him to go to RU and don't come back... but I don't think it would get to that, as he would want to play for the Kiwis.

He is a contracted Rugby League player until 31st October anyway so that takes in most of the 4N.

KHunt

Juniors
Has anyone seen the latest "Wallabies eyeing Marshall"

even if he did play union, why the f**k would he choose the Wallabies over the All Blacks?

Feel for Marshall, media has been dishing plenty of sh*t towards him lately.

duck_dodgers

Juniors
I think the great Roger Voudouris succintly summed up the situation in this performance ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch5EwpVVOAs

This time it's Benji , next year cutie , the year after ...

If Benji is stopped from playing NRL ( lol as if ) there's always ESL and they've shown recently that they have no problems signing people with dubious backgrounds so signing Benji would be a given .

Btw , most people seemed to have missed the point Gallop is putting about the Tigers potentially cheating the cap ... If Benji comes back in Feb 2010 & re-signs at the Tigers he'll only be signing for 8 months then presumably doing it all again ... the 8 months contract will only be worth 2/3rds of his previous yearly contract amount ... let's say that was 400k ... the new one would be 264k ... so 136k is available to spend on someone else .

Is it a rort ? possibly ... but as Roger says ... ;-)

Bluebags1908

Juniors
I think the great Roger Voudouris succintly summed up the situation in this performance ...

If Benji is stopped from playing NRL ( lol as if ) there's always ESL and they've shown recently that they have no problems signing people with dubious backgrounds so signing Benji would be a given .

Btw , most people seemed to have missed the point Gallop is putting about the Tigers potentially cheating the cap ... If Benji comes back in Feb 2010 & re-signs at the Tigers he'll only be signing for 8 months then presumably doing it all again ... the 8 months contract will only be worth 2/3rds of his previous yearly contract amount ... let's say that was 400k ... the new one would be 264k ... so 136k is available to spend on someone else .

There's an easy way of fixing that - when the NRL registers his reduced contract after he comes back from Japan (say it's $300,000 instead of $400,000), the NRL will put a 'nominal market value' on what they think Marshall is worth - say, $400,000. Whether the Tigers pay him $300,000 or $400,000 doesn't matter - it's the $400,000 that counts towards the salary cap.

Parra

Referee
There's an easy way of fixing that - when the NRL registers his reduced contract after he comes back from Japan (say it's $300,000 instead of $400,000), the NRL will put a 'nominal market value' on what they think Marshall is worth - say, $400,000. Whether the Tigers pay him $300,000 or $400,000 doesn't matter - it's the $400,000 that counts towards the salary cap.

If that happens Melbourne are fscked.

TimmyB

Juniors

The whole salary cap problem is a bit of a myth to be honest.

If he's allowed top lay the off season in Japan, any other team can still come up with a counter offer - ie: suppose the Tigers offer him the opportunity to play an off season in Japan and 200 k in 2010. Another team could offer him $250k and a season in Japan. Not all that different to the normal process by which players jump ship. Obviously whoever ends up with him will have some sort of advantage for a couple of years, but if the opportunity is available to all players, it'd even itself out eventually. The Broncos could end up with a similar situation with Hunt.

bartman

Immortal
*skims thread*

So are we all in agreeance Benji is a greedy dickhead?

*re-scans thread*

Seems pretty much!

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...llops-benji-ban/2009/02/19/1234632976412.html

Top players take on Gallop's Benji ban

Glenn Jackson, Rupert Guinness | February 20, 2009

SENIOR players are uniting against NRL chief executive David Gallop over his ban on Wests Tigers star Benji Marshall's fling with Japanese rugby.

With Marshall holding firm on plans to play an off-season in Japan, the Rugby League Professionals Association has thrown its weight behind the Kiwi's bold bid, even canvassing its legal team about Gallop's threat not to register a new contract for the 23-year-old on his return from a lucrative stint with a Japanese rugby union club.

But there was a new twist to the ongoing saga, with claims from former Wallabies coach Eddie Jones, a consultant with the Suntory club in Japan, that should Marshall sign with a Japanese club, he must be in the country by June 30 - still three months before the end of the NRL season.

With Marshall contracted to the Tigers until the end of 2009, that would likely knock any chance of gaining a Japanese windfall on the head.

"You can leave after that, but you can't play for another club after that before you [finish] playing for your [Japanese] club," Jones said.

"When you sign a contract in June that means you sign to the Japanese rugby union. You sign to a company [that sponsors a club], but your host union is the Japanese rugby union. So you can't have a contract with another organisation."

But Marshall's manager, Martin Tauber, said he had not been informed of any such regulation during his dealings.

"That's never been raised," Tauber said. "I'm certainly not aware of that rule. The people representing us have never raised that, and that's a Japanese agent who speaks the language."

Marshall has received significant support from the RLPA as well as senior players, with the association's chief executive, Matthew Rodwell, backing him.

"His contract is expiring," Rodwell said. "He has the right to do what he wants. If that works out or doesn't work out with another NRL club, good luck to him.

"I don't think it's giving a lot of coverage to Japanese rugby, or promoting the game of rugby union to the degrees that's being mentioned. If there's an opportunity, perhaps we shouldn't be so quick to slam the door shut.

"And I think there would be a legal issue if Benji did go to Japan and his contract is not registered with Wests Tigers. I've had some advice from a lawyer and he said that's dangerous territory."

One high-profile player is believed to have sent a text message to Marshall expressing his full support, while others leaving the door firmly open on the move include Roosters coach Brad Fittler, who said he would allow one of his players to top up his income overseas if it meant the club retaining him.

"There are ways we can utilise that money and let our players play in the NRL," Fittler said. "You've just got to make sure they're contracted and make that part of their deal … [but] if they want to go there and take the money, I reckon beautiful.

"I think there's ways we can utilise the Japanese rugby union that can financially benefit our game."

Roosters fullback Anthony Minichiello said the money on offer in Japan, which appears to far outweigh the limitations of the NRL salary cap, could be used to keep players in the competition.

"I don't see a problem in Benji doing that at all," he said.

"I don't think any player would see a problem in it."

New Bulldogs halfback Brett Kimmorley added: "I don't have a problem with it. If it keeps him in our game, and there's a potential to earn a bit more money, that's fine.

"He'll still be staying in our game, promoting our game. This is about watching him play for 26 rounds or not watching him at all."

But Gallop was unbowed: "The ramifications are serious. If we let one player go, how many do you let go?

"It's not surprising that clubs want to hold onto every player they can, but sometimes there's a need to look at the best interests of the game, rather than individuals and individual club's wishes. Rugby league is not a six months-a-year job anymore."

Gallop said he would raise the issue at an NRL board meeting next week, although he said he believed he had the full support of directors.

The issue is also likely to be front and centre at the next chief executives' conference, on March 4. "This continues to be a difficult issue for the game," Gallop said.

bring out the yawnion journo :roll:

bartman

Immortal
"When you sign a contract in June that means you sign to the Japanese rugby union. You sign to a company [that sponsors a club], but your host union is the Japanese rugby union. So you can't have a contract with another organisation."
Critics of the NRL/Gallop's stance should read that bit long and hard... and understand that we need to follow the same rules that other competing organisations do, and Benji needs to make a choice.

Latest posts