What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji set to defect over Gallop's stance

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25080094-5006066,00.html

Doctors tell Benji 'don't go'

By Dean Ritchie | February 20, 2009 12:00am

PROMINENT Sydney doctors have warned injury-prone Wests Tigers star Benji Marshall that taking the quick cash in Japan could significantly cut short his glittering career.

Their stance underlines NRL chief executive David Gallop's contentious decision to ban Marshall from an off-season stint in Japanese rugby union.

The Daily Telegraph has obtained statistics showing Marshall's body can't stand up to back-to-back NRL seasons - let alone an off-season overseas. Marshall, a New Zealand World Cup hero, has missed 51 games out of a possible 131 matches since 2003.

He has regularly sustained injuries, particularly to his shoulders, and has earned close to $30,000 for each of his 80 first grade matches in that period.

Martin Raftery, St George's doctor for 19 years and now ARU medical director, said Marshall must be extremely cautious about playing non-stop for 20 months. "No doubt a lot of injuries are related to fatigue,'' Raftery said.

"Extending your training and playing without an appropriate break puts a player at high risk of injury. We have a player here who has a history of injury. Sometimes players look at the short term rather than the long term. It is difficult to avoid fatigue if you continue to play.''

Leading sports doctor and ex-Souths forward Nathan Gibbs said all rugby league players need off-season rest. "Every athlete in high intensity and high physical activity sports need time to recover,'' Gibbs said.

"That should be built into their program. While financial security is important, my advice to younger players would be that if they want to prolong their career, they have to be careful of not overloading themselves or they won't have a long career.

"Maybe at the end of their career they could go for the money. And it's not just physical. There is also the psychological recovery. Every player needs to get away.''

Marshall said he would continue to pursue a deal in Japan despite Gallop saying he may not register the player if he returns to the NRL in early 2010.

Gallop last night reiterated his thoughts on star players sustaining injury overseas in a rival sport.
"Clearly the risk of injury is high in our sport and rugby union, which would be unfamiliar to Benji,'' Gallop said.

"We don't want to see our stars injured in our game let alone that of our competitors. Wests Tigers and New Zealand fans would be entitled to feel shattered if he was injured in Japan.''

Former Bulldogs and Australian doctor Hugh Hazard had mixed thoughts on the issue. "I think a six week break is reasonable. I know some players back from a Kangaroo tour have struggled to get back if they don't have a period of rest and rehab,'' Hazard said.

"But playing union would be a little easier than league. It depends on whether the player has injuries and needs rehab. If he is young and fit and hasn't had a lot of surgery he could probably get away with it.''

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can't complain at $30k a game! Still alot less than alleged $100k a game the Japanese are supposedly offering though!

Loudstrat

Coach
you really have no clue. what do 'Polynesians' have to do with the nrl's inability to be reasonable?

Nothing. Nothing at all. If you gleaned that from what I wrote, your the knob without a clue.

you call him 'selfish' then refer to a try in the grand final he set up with by passing the ball. try to call it luck. i dont understand what your trying to achieve?
A bit of tongue in cheek there. Gets lost on people like you without brain in head.

at the end of the day, richards caught the AWESOME ball benji gave him and scored a try. the tigers then went on to win the grand final and benji was crowned the messiah.... what... jealous?
Scotty Prince won the CC Medal. And if you think I'm a Cowpats fan.......!

Anyone read about Eddie Jones' comments about Japan wanting Benji before June 30? Meaning his 'stint' would see him miss the Tigers run into the finals. Tigers fans, do you think the finals are important?

I agree with Gallop. Marshall needs to commit to League. After SWB, New Zealand Rugby League need him committed. Wests need him committed.

And the dickheads mentioning restraint of trade - next time I go for a job interview and get knocked back, I'll claim restraint of trade too. Next time Eric Grothe gets picked in the reggies - that's restraint of trade?

F*ck off Benji - and take your glass shoulders with you.

shiznit

Coach
Critics of the NRL/Gallop's stance should read that bit long and hard... and understand that we need to follow the same rules that other competing organisations do, and Benji needs to make a choice.
i dont understand your point... when Benji re-signs to play in the NRL he wont be signed to any organisation because hes JRU contract would have finished.

i have no problem at all with Benji doing this.... as long as he goes over to Japan as a free agent and no contracts have been signed with NRL clubs for next season.

hes the one thats taking on ALL the risk by playing as a free agent. so fair enough that he gets the rewards for it.

if the NRL choose not to register him then i hope they get beaten badly in court... its utter arrogance to think that a couple of wanker appointed dickheads think they can use the competition registration system as a means to keep themselves feeling relevant.

people need to remember that the NRL are NOT the rulers of RL. there the organization that runs the Australasian RL competition. while they have the right to protect there product from a competitor they have no right to say that a whole sport like RU is a competitor. other sporting competitions in the local market are there competitors. Japanese RU is not in there market...

and if they do end up arguing that RU is its competitor i hope Benji's team asks why these dickheads didnt wave any objections to Joey Johns when he played cricket for NSW in 06 to promote Twenty20 Cricket.

Last edited:

voltron

Juniors
just curious
how much was johns paid for that? it was just a publicity stunt wasnt it?

but i dont see any long term benefit for the game in this
one of the big stumbling blocks to defecting is that they dont know the game, and the union clubs arent willing to train them up to the game unless they are good.
this will just train them in union and then defecting will be a whole lot easier

shiznit

Coach
Nothing. Nothing at all. If you gleaned that from what I wrote, your the knob without a clue.

A bit of tongue in cheek there. Gets lost on people like you without brain in head.

Scotty Prince won the CC Medal. And if you think I'm a Cowpats fan.......!

Anyone read about Eddie Jones' comments about Japan wanting Benji before June 30? Meaning his 'stint' would see him miss the Tigers run into the finals. Tigers fans, do you think the finals are important?

I agree with Gallop. Marshall needs to commit to League. After SWB, New Zealand Rugby League need him committed. Wests need him committed.

And the dickheads mentioning restraint of trade - next time I go for a job interview and get knocked back, I'll claim restraint of trade too. Next time Eric Grothe gets picked in the reggies - that's restraint of trade?

F*ck off Benji - and take your glass shoulders with you.

are you geniused or something... how is that even relevant to Benji's situation.

if you want to use employment as an example you could say...

if you were a primary school teacher perhaps.. and you were accepted to a position at a school but the ministry of education declined your registration because you spent the summer working as a plumber. then you can argue restraint of trade...

Parra

Referee
why these dickheads didnt wave any objections to Joey Johns played Twenty20 cricket for NSW in 06 to promote Twenty20 Cricket.

It's shown on a News Ltd owned TV network.

Japanese rugby is not.

When players go to Super 14 rugby the NRL says nothing. If the players want to return they are welcome. Super 14 is a News Ltd product.

French Rugby is not shown on a News Ltd owned network.

When players go to French rugby they are threatened with legal action, their abilities derided.

Japanese rugby is not shown on a News Ltd owned network. Seems players get the French rugby treatment PLUS a new veiled threat of not being welcomed back.

The message is clear - if an NRL players wants to supplement his income he should do so in a competition that benefits News Ltd. Then there will be no problems.

shiznit

Coach

Japanese rugby is not.

When players go to Super 14 rugby the NRL says nothing. If the players want to return they are welcome. Super 14 is a News Ltd product.

When players go to French rugby they are threatened with legal action, their abilities derided.

Japanese rugby is not shown on a News Ltd owned network. Seems players get the French rugby treatment PLUS a new veiled threat of not being welcomed back.

The message is clear - if an NRL players wants to supplement his income he should do so in a competition that benefits News Ltd. Then there will be no problems.
well if thats the case... SKYTV own the NZ rights to screen the Japanese Rugby Union competition... who owns SKY... news ltd... so perhaps there not competitors in NZ so he can sign for the Warriors...

Japanese rugby is not.

Good food for thought.

Pierced Soul

First Grade

f**k me it's all a news ltd conspiracy....

how about the reason it's frowned upon is quite simply that he's looking at short term promotion of a rival product and the nrl's belief is he will use the money from this as a thrid party payment so the tigers can pay him less then market value. thats the f**king reason. if he somehow had a deal which said he would come back and sign for market value (whatever he and the tigers think he's worth) gallop wouldnt have a prob.

but if he comes back and signs with the tigpies for $100,000 when he's say worth $400,000 (no i dont think eh's worth that much) then it's quite opbviosuly a rort.

i will almost guarantee you now that it a player wnated to play a few super 14's games before the nrl season ti owuld be knocked back as well

Pierced Soul

First Grade
and the reason the other defectors were welcomed back is they went away for a few years as a genuine switch, not as a way to boost their income and rort the cap in the space of a few months

Parra

Referee
So all those Melbourne players who allegedly stay for less than they can get on the open market should also fall into the same trap.

It will be interesting to see how far this market valuation BS will go.

Bezant

Juniors
I dont understand people who keep on saying this is just something between Benji & the Tigers because the Tigers are his employeer.

Let me ask this question. How long would the Tigers last without the NRL grant funded by the TV deal that the NRL (albiet incompetantly) brokered? Of course the NRL needs to have a say in this as does the International Federation as Benji is needed to play in the 4N tournament and then report back for pre-season training after allowing his (fragile) body a short break.

Do you in all seriousness think that Gallop could take another stance here. He can't just say "Sure no problem guys just go play Japanese/French/English Union during your offseason" while we are trying to rebuild international rugby league back to the level it deserves to be and when players keep on harping on about how long the season is.......

](*,)

Talanexor

Juniors
Fact is, until league can offer the same money to players as other codes can, we'll keep losing our stars. Benji pulls crowd too, so it would have a real impact on the NRL's pocket.

I don't have a problem with it. If you want to keep him in the game, you let him play Yawnion in the offseason. The alternative is, you pay him what he's worth. Until you can do that, you have to make concessions to keep him here.

Talanexor

Juniors
Benji set to defect over Gallop's stance

Glenn Jackson | February 19, 2009
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/benji-set-to-defect/2009/02/18/1234632893361.html

"He's got to make a choice. He's either a rugby league player or a rugby union player. If I work for Coke, I'm not going to be allowed to go to Pepsi for a few months."

Coke employees don't have a salary cap. They get paid what they are worth, or they leave. This analogy is trash.

A better analogy would be having a part-time job after your usual work.

Yes, it means less time off and it takes its toll on your body, but if your current job doesn't pay enough, why should they stop you from picking up extra work somewhere else?

Gallop is a d*ckhead.

Gaba

First Grade
Fact is, until league can offer the same money to players as other codes can, we'll keep losing our stars. .

Name one star who isnt injury prone or at the end of their careers, joining union, not many young or non injury prone stars are joining union

Latest posts