What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji: try being loyal to your sport

shiznit

Coach
Come off it. Sevens fitness is easily attainable. If American football players can walk into the Eagles team then Benji can get himself in shape for the New Zealand sevens team.

I love how everyone talks about sevens these days as if it's the holy grail of athleticism and tactical nous. If 15s players can jump into the sevens circuit without experience or training then a league player would have no problem making the switch.
:lol:

Shows how much you know about it...

You can't just put a good 15s player in to 7s and expect them to perform.

We found out that didn't work over a decade ago... The fitness levels for sevens are just too much for a PT 15s player.

Titch will only grab a kid who will commit to a program... Not just a one off...

Marshall could do it... But he would have to spend serious time on the sevens circuit.

Daniel Carter certainly wouldn't be suited to it... He's a completely different type of player.

Grapple

Bench
It'll be sad to see him go, but obviously everyone can see he's not been the same player he once was. Doesn't seem to back himself as much as he once did, that's what made him great in my opinion. Maybe his heads not in the game, and perhaps it hasn't for a while?! If he's doing it for cash and family then fair enough, but seems like a bit of a sour note to leave on.

Feel for Wests though. I can't help but think none of this would've happened had they not made that stupid decision to get Adam Blair, and give up their forward pack - and subsequently every one else to Cronulla.

skeepe

Immortal
It's interesting to see the the public's perception of this whole saga.

Benji was promised a new deal when the salary cap rose but because there was a new CEO at the club the deal was no longer on the table.

Could you imagine if it was the other way around and Benji had agreed to a deal with the Tigers but retracted because he had a new manager?

I have to say if my workplace did that to me I'd probably become a bit disillusioned too and it'd quickly become a place I'd no longer want to work at. Purely on principle.

If there is new management in place it's pretty standard that all deals offered by previous management that haven't been confirmed with a signed, written contract are taken off the table until the new management can assess the situation.

The part that they are contractually obliged to offer, the pay rise offer when the salary cap rises, has been met. It's not the Tigers' fault that Marshall feels he's too good for what they're offering.

Given that his current contract runs until 2015 and the Tigers are under no obligation to grant this release, it will be interesting to see how Benji meets his manager's declaration that he won't play for the Tigers past 2013 if they stand firm and don't grant the release.

Moffo

Referee
Imagine my surprise...

So predictable. We need to play dirtier to match the tactics of other codes

In some respects we are still so dumb and naive as a code

ek999

First Grade
Just watched an interview with some rugby bloke called Horan on fox sports news. He mentioned the wallabies in the same sentence as benji marshall. Surely somewhere along the line they must have noticed he is in fact a kiwi and one who has captained his country

And has lived his entire adult life in Australia making him eligible to play for the Wallabies. The same way Brad Thorne played for both Australia and NZ

Danish

Referee

We found out that didn't work over a decade ago... The fitness levels for sevens are just too much for a PT 15s player.

Titch will only grab a kid who will commit to a program... Not just a one off...

Marshall could do it... But he would have to spend serious time on the sevens circuit.

Daniel Carter certainly wouldn't be suited to it... He's a completely different type of player.

While I agree that Sevens and rugby are about as similar as touch and league, do you think the big names in NZ rugby like Carter and Dagg etc will throw their weight around the ensure they get into the olympic side?

Suited to it or not I can see a few big names being shoehorned into the side come 2016

I hate sevens personally. I never watch it. I just know Tietjens demands a pretty high standard of fitness.

It's bullshit mate. Sevens just has good marketing and delusional peeps like shiznit arguing its corner, but the international sevens circuit is still the place for kids and guys who were never good enough to make it in the 15 man game. About the only exception to that these last few years has been Hosea Gear. Usually if a player gets a chance elsewhere they don't think about sevens, because it's not worth thinking about.

Yes you can, and not only can you do that but it happens all the f**king time :lol:

Such high fitness levels, must be why you get super endurance athletes like Matt Banahan and Leonard Peters playing the game

You're talking about one guy and one team, and even that's disputable. I've lost count of the amount of guys who've dominated for the NZ sevens team only to turn their back on it when they get a sniff of top level 15s.

Doesn't matter. I wasn't talking about whether Marshall could do it, I was talking about the athleticism and skill required in the sevens game as a whole being the stuff of fantasy, as is proven just about every time a league team jumps into a sevens tourny. Look at all the games Kenya have won, or the USA with their super athlete endurance failed american football players :lol::lol:

There's no point me saying much more, doubtless you'll disagree and continue to overhype the semi-pro sevens game.

For anyone who wants the truth of the matter you need only watch a sevens video and look at all the amazing skill and athleticism and tactical nous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3JfLqOP0rM

The bit at 2:35 is special, look out for his "sevens nous" is running past number 9 who isn't even paying attention :sarcasm:

Those are meant to be highlights, btw. The best sevens teams in the world can't even keep the rugby giants of Portugal, Canada and Kenya scoreless, but we're expected to believe we couldn't throw a league team together and give these guys a game, if not beat them outright? Come on.

Sevens is just a subpar game. These 7s teams would get curb-stomped if they came up against a league 7s team, or alternatively the best guys available in the 15-man game.

bonus video of Kenyan amateurs beating the mighty NZ sevens team that Benji Marshall isn't good enough to play in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUjZDBKpqZk

If sevens teams picked the very best then the teams would all be filled with stars from the 15 man game and rugby league.

super_coach

First Grade
may be the tigers should ask Benji for compensation if he wants to walk out on his contract two years early.If the boot was on the other foot, Benji would be seeking compensation. Its a win win for the club,they now dont have to pay a player massive overs and now they have the money to finally get Sheens off their books.CHRISTMAS IN JULY

Masoe eats babies just went full genius again

Get mad. The videos are there, we can all see how technical and uber-athletic sevens is. I wonder which behemoth nation will be the next team to beat the mighty New Zealand sevens team, Russia or Hong Kong

These Kenyans must be leading the world in sports science, coaching and funding. Can't think of any other explanation as to how they beat you. Can you?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Sevens is a farce, designed for union players who can't kick penalty goals or scrum.

Deluded union fans will tell you that sevens in the Olympics is a sign that union is a 'global game' :lol:, the reality is that it's a sign of how much a circus the Olympics has become.

gronkathon

First Grade
Marshall's manager has painted his own client to be a immature, greedy sook who couldn't handle gettting dropped and thinks he is the club.

Tauber, genius

Latest posts