What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji: try being loyal to your sport

Noa

First Grade
This should be the reaction of all wests fans to this news

darth_vader_dance_1713618a.gif

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
I wouldn't go quite that far Noa - but it certainly looks as though his best years are behind him.

Add the fact that he is still a destabilising influence post Sheens and in an 18 month rut with no sign of improved form and it's no wonder the Tigers are baulking at the demands of his manager for more money. You get what you pay for - and you pay for what you get.

Also, the club is being slammed by many but they should take a minute to remember how strongly the club stood by him through his injury plagued years from 2006-2010.

It's been great and best of luck Benji!

bottle

Coach
See ya Benji.
Whilst all the doomsdayers lament the end of the game because Sonny Bill left, or Wendell left, or Loti left, or Gaz left, or Izzy left, or Harmichael left, or whoever left, umm, left, I'll just plan on watching next weeks games. And the games after that, and the games after that, and so on and so forth.

Who cares? No loss, just more papers sold, more news time wasted.
Still, it's better than having to put up with any more 'Royal f**king Baby' stories.

RWB

Bench
It's interesting to see the the public's perception of this whole saga.

Benji was promised a new deal when the salary cap rose but because there was a new CEO at the club the deal was no longer on the table.

Could you imagine if it was the other way around and Benji had agreed to a deal with the Tigers but retracted because he had a new manager?

I have to say if my workplace did that to me I'd probably become a bit disillusioned too and it'd quickly become a place I'd no longer want to work at. Purely on principle.

Danish

Referee
The major difference between Benji leaving for union and the previous defections of SBW, Gasnier, etc, is that when the other blokes left it was because NRL clubs simply could not afford to match the money they were being offered elsewhere. Tthats not the case with Benji.

Almost every club can afford to pay a player $1 million per season these days.... the problem being none of the 16 clubs think Benji is worth that sort of money. And frankly, they are 100% correct.

Marshall will no doubt carve up in the inferior rugby code and get his big money for a few years, and good on him. If he can hack maintaining his income levels while dealing with the fact he is now a 2nd class player then more power to him.

Shorty

Staff member
Marshall will no doubt carve up in the inferior rugby code and get his big money for a few years, and good on him. If he can hack maintaining his income levels while dealing with the fact he is now a 2nd class player then more power to him.
If his goal were to get into the All Blacks, that would require a lot of effort...I'm not sure his ego could handle it or the fact that he isn't a media darling in rugby.

Danish

Referee
I certainly could never see him in an All Blacks jersey. Might have a shot at the rugby 7s at the Olympics although he'd want to put down the doughnuts for a few months.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
It's interesting to see the the public's perception of this whole saga.

Benji was promised a new deal when the salary cap rose but because there was a new CEO at the club the deal was no longer on the table.

Could you imagine if it was the other way around and Benji had agreed to a deal with the Tigers but retracted because he had a new manager?

I have to say if my workplace did that to me I'd probably become a bit disillusioned too and it'd quickly become a place I'd no longer want to work at. Purely on principle.

Not quite. Tiger's honored his contract & tabled him an upgraded offer for the remaining 2 years of his current contract. They were not willing to offer him another 2 years on top of this contract which would take him through to 2017. I dont think you would find a Tigers fan or any League fan with half brain who would have thought that was a good idea. I get the feeling this isnt so much about the money as it is is about Benji's ego, he is no longer the marque player at the club, Farah has taken that mantle & he wasn't willing to settle for anything less than what Robbie got. Potter has also called him out on his bullshit that Sheens & Humphreys allowed to permeate through the club, he was obviously not willing to get out of his comfort zone. Most tigers fans, while sad to see him go see this is as a massive step towards ridding the club of the mediocrity that was accepted under the Sheens regime.

Meth

Staff member
I certainly could never see him in an All Blacks jersey. Might have a shot at the rugby 7s at the Olympics although he'd want to put down the doughnuts for a few months.

Yeah, no way he'll play for the AB's.

I really doubt he'll be all that good for our sevens team. They need to be very, very fit.

Danish

Referee
Yeah, no way he'll play for the AB's.

I really doubt he'll be all that good for our sevens team. They need to be very, very fit.

True. Skills-wise he'd be great for sevens, but as you say the fitness side would kill him at the moment. Of course fitness is pretty easy to attain providing he is motivated. All he'd really have to do is shed 10kg or so, which he could do by simply cutting out a few weights sessions per week and adding some cardio.

Mind you, most of the talk about players like SBW wanting to go back to rugby because of the allure of the Olympics are nonsense. Beside blokes like Carter and Dagg, who will probably have their olympics selection written into their next NZRU contracts, I doubt many of the current All Blacks will even be in the side. The games are just way too different.

RWB

Bench
Not quite. Tiger's honored his contract & tabled him an upgraded offer for the remaining 2 years of his current contract. They were not willing to offer him another 2 years on top of this contract which would take him through to 2017. I dont think you would find a Tigers fan or any League fan with half brain who would have thought that was a good idea. I get the feeling this isnt so much about the money as it is is about Benji's ego, he is no longer the marque player at the club, Farah has taken that mantle & he wasn't willing to settle for anything less than what Robbie got. Potter has also called him out on his bullshit that Sheens & Humphreys allowed to permeate through the club, he was obviously not willing to get out of his comfort zone. Most tigers fans, while sad to see him go see this is as a massive step towards ridding the club of the mediocrity that was accepted under the Sheens regime.

It's quite clear what Marshall was offered previously by the club wasn't what he was offered yesterday, you call it ego I think it's a matter of principle and I can understand why Marshall isn't happy with the offer after already agreeing with the club to a deal.

Regardless of whether you think he's worth what was agreed upon last year is irrelevant, it's poor faith from the Tigers and like I said I think the perception over this whole saga is an interesting one. If it was the other way around we'd be criticising the player for being immoral and ranting on about how a player's word means nothing anymore these days.

Whoever's been pushing the PR for the Tigers has done a good job.

Eelpout

Juniors
He is quickly becoming the most spoilt brat that has ever played our great game. He hasn't got what he wants he has thrown a tantrum and disregarded what the game and his club have done for him over the last 12+ years. P*ss off Benji, i'm sure you won't be missed.

betcats

Referee
Whoever's been pushing the PR for the Tigers has done a good job.

Benji is doing their job for them in this case. No matter what promise was made by the previous management he is acting like a brat.

The tigers arent gonna hurt themselves long term because of a promise the previous CEO made, and signing Benji on big money until 2017 will hurt the tigers eventually.

gronkathon

First Grade
For years Benji and that f**king old grub merkin Tauber have pulled the Rubgy Union will pay me X dollars and really want me.

The club finally has the talent coming through and a coach and acting CEO with enough balls to say "good for you but this is what we are offering"

Now the crypt keeper has a whinge about loyalty and the NRL not helping out.

f**k off the pair of you.

I am sick of the pathetic circus that his career is denigrating in to.

PS: Take that metal skulled mongoloid Moltzen with you

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Benji has done well for the kiwi's, tigers, and rugby league over the years, but that doesnt mean he should get a pension because he used to be able to sidestep. it's a shame it's deteriorated so much through what appears to be greed.

Benji could have walked away using the bullshit "challenge" line others have used to cross codes, but instead i think he'll come across as a greedy bastard who's playing below reserve grade level but expecting to be paid a million a year

diff between benchy and farah is that farah ahs continued to improve as he's gotten older -not gone backwards

PS: Take that metal skulled mongoloid Moltzen with you

never!!!!!! he needs to be a tiger for life!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts