What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett announces he will depart Dragons at end of 2011

Dragon

Coach
A question to Dragons fans.

Has Bennett changed the culture of success enough for it to stay once he leaves?

I dont think so, and to me that's the main reason id have liked him to stay for another couple years. Still, i think he showed a lot of people at the club what it takes to win a premiership and the commitment needed.

Good luck Wayne!

Jason Maher

Immortal
I think Price can do a reasonable job. Has been with the club for awhile has achieved some reasonable results in the NYC and Samoa. (I think...)

People will be quick to point to Henjak but I thought Ivan was pushed to make way for Bennett. He was doing well given he was trying to rebuild the squad within 2 years.

Seriously, Henjack must have shacked up with one of the directors missus' or something. Bennett's 20-year shadow was always going to be a hurdle for him, but I thought he did well with the cattle at his dispoasal. Made a preliminary final at his first attempt, and ran 10th after a massive injury toll at his second. Hardly results demanding he be sacked. I hope he gets a run elsewhere sooner rather than later.

Gaba

First Grade
I thought it would have been friday for the press conference if he was going to leave,

Bennett supposed have inform doust at the beginning of the year he is leaving the dragons , and apparently he has just informed doust he was leaving ?????

until it happens i am skeptical about this report

Last edited:

Evenflow

Bench
I thought it would have been friday for the press conference if he was going to leave,

Bennett supposed have inform doust at the beginning of the year he is leaving the dragons , and apparently he has just informed doust he was leaving ?????

until it happens i am skeptical about this report

:lol:

Ahhh Gaba, you poor deluded fool.

Now, i wonder if Darius will make good on his word and follow Bennett like a good little nice person who can't be coached under anyone else.

Gaba

First Grade
If bennett does go, i would like to hear the name Nathan Brown is coming back to the dragons

i will get cursed by dragons supporters for saying that .

as long its not Bellamy or fitler i will be happy

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Now, i wonder if Darius will make good on his word and follow Bennett like a good little nice person who can't be coached under anyone else.
I've heard that the press conference is being held to announce that Wayne is putting out an AVO against Darius for persistent stalking.

Slackboy72

Coach
A question to Dragons fans.

Has Bennett changed the culture of success enough for it to stay once he leaves?

I think the biggest things he's changed are:
1) The attitude that the club should put local players before quality imports. The premiership was built on the efforts of Weyman, J Smith, N Fien, etc. As long as the club goes for quality over loyalty to locals we can get some squads on the park that don't have weak players which is where we have an advantage over other teams.
2) No superstars hogging the cap. No situation like in Nth Qld or Parra where one or two players hog the cap forcing the club to put dregs into the 17.
3) Standardised training across all the squad. When we lost Hunt last year it was pretty dire but others stepped up because they were ready to do so. Saved our season.
4) Consistency. The big missing factor prior to Bennett. If Steve Price can maintain the attitude of the squad we'll stay good but who knows.

Hutty1986

Immortal
What a shame the Great Man is going. having said that, he has been away from home a long time and it is mission accomplished after all. A champion coach, thank you Wayne!!

Latest posts