What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett announces he will depart Dragons at end of 2011

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Taking out someone that is more often than not a hole in our backline (Sutton) and replacing him with a genuine star in Boyd would do heaps to improve our structure. The crazy thing is I bet Boyd has never made as much money in a year as Sutton has, and Boyd is twice the player. Sutton is our 2nd highest paid player ffs.

And if Bennett chose us. We wouldn't have a coach from a different era like we do now, and we wouldn't have a coach who is biased towards an over the hill fullback who has 1 good game every 2 months.

What other coach in the league would leave Inglis out in the centres where his success depends on the quality of the ball SUTTON of all people gets him, when he has a huge hole in a key position at FB.

If Bennett chooses us we'll have stars at the 1 and 6, which are our 2 biggest weaknesses right now, our defense will be vastly improved and we'll have multiple premierships.

You don't need to buy anyone. You need to find a surgeon and get your heart put back in. And you need to find a plunger to remove the crap that floats around the place.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I don't have it with me but the headlines at the time were Sutton signed a 3 year 1 million dollar contract in 2008. 333k a year if it's even each year, maybe as much as 400k this year if it's backended.

If Bennett chooses us, and Boyd essentially replaces Sutton which is what I think Bennett would do, you'll see I'm right.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Penrith should really get involved and throw whatever they have @ Wayne. His disciple and special clean outs, would do a world of good for the Panthers at the moment. He could literally turn them from a basket case to genuine contenders within a few weeks too imo..

They need sustained success. It will be poor management if they dont at least make inquiries. He brings success and success brings crowds.

They are the only weak link (supporter wise) in Sydney's west. If they can get as strong as Parra, Tigers and the Dogs, no one will be questioning the support for RL in Sydney's west.

Slackboy72

Coach
Chunk

I saw the episode of Australian Story. Whoever the Bennett coached side plays that weekend, his son would wear the opposition teams jumper in the week leading up to the game.

The true champion Benny is, he loved it every minute of the banter with his son that week.

I do recall a story where he'd just been beaten by the Dragons and he couldn't find his son.
Turns out he was in the Dragons dressing room in the team huddle singing ''When The Saints Go Marchin In".

BunniesMan

Immortal
Wren't you saying the other day it would be best to keep out of the media regarding Bennentt?
I was saying management of each club should stay out of the media regarding the likelyhood of getting him. There's a difference between that and his potential playing squad saying they want him. That can't hurt.

Wato

Juniors
I was saying management of each club should stay out of the media regarding the likelyhood of getting him. There's a difference between that and his potential playing squad saying they want him. That can't hurt.

Yea but its pretty obvious they want him as their coach every side does.

Johns Magic

Referee
I'd hope the Knights players would have a bit more brains and respect for Rick Stone than to bag off their coach in the media like that.

How embarrassing for John Lang.

"We would love to have Wayne Bennett here," said Souths centre Dylan Farrell.
"He brings with him the right attitude and we have been lacking in that department lately."

What a tosser.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Johnny Lang should gracefully accept his fate and walk away ala Chris Anderson.

The game has passed him by,

When did Chris Anderson gracefully walk away? He went to french union, then came back and was a huge failure at the Roosters before being publically booted for an equally inept coach in Fittler in less than a season.

There was nothing graceful about it.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I'd hope the Knights players would have a bit more brains and respect for Rick Stone than to bag off their coach in the media like that.

"He brings with him the right attitude and we have been lacking in that department lately."

What a tosser.
There's a difference between Lang and Stone. It's clear for a long time that Lang is retiring after this season.

jonno_knights

Juniors
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/.../story-e6frf3ou-1226036429967?from=public_rss

Don't see the Knights players wanting him as badly as ours do....

Souths sounding pretty desperate.....Pretty sure Kurt has gone on record saying it'd be great for the club to sign Bennett anyway.

Didnt see Wayne Bennett give Russell Crowe this kinda endorsement either,

" ''His [Tinkler's] reach is in the working class, but obviously he's out there now and he deals with some of the biggest dealers in the country and the world, making deals and selling coal mines and doing what he does, buying horses and that, so they know how to get a deal done. They know how to negotiate, they know how to build something, because that's what they're about. All those things are good. I mean, the Broncos' original four owners did a magnificent job with us. They were driven, and the other thing is that they're not careless with money, because it's their money, not the club's.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...for-the-club-and-the-town-20110403-1cta2.html

The Rabbitohs have had what? four or five seasons with Russell Crowe at the helm. And to date they have achieve no more then the Knights have. Their performances have been no better then the knights. So if the knights can be at the same level as Souths, with a shoestring budget, and no millionaire owner, imagine the room for improvement they will have with Tinkler writing the checks. Bennett on a 3 year deal, and Stone on a 5 year deal will set this club up for the future. Bennett will be able set up the Broncos model of junior development in the Hunter Valley, and I'd say that will be one of the biggest draw cards for him. Not only making a difference for the 2-3 years he is here, but into the future with the structures he has set up, and the guidance he has given Stone, one of the more impressive young coaches in the game.

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
There's a difference between Lang and Stone. It's clear for a long time that Lang is retiring after this season.

That's irrelevant to the point.

Farrell saying that a coach is responsible for the team's attitude, and then saying how bad their team's attitude has been under Lang, is pretty poor.

The players have to take on a lot of responsibility.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I reckon that would be very harsh on Rick Stone. The Knights look good to me this year. Very solid outfit, just lacking a couple of props and a centre.

Ulysseus

Bench
Stone is a good bloke, he will have a place there should WB go there.
If anything, they would probably like to avoid burning Rick out too early in the piece, if groomed properly he could be a 10 years + coach at the Knights after WB has gone.

jonno_knights

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-with-or-without-bennett-20110322-1c58z.html

As I said earlier, Stone will be at the knights next year with or without Bennett.

The only way he leaves the club is if he takes up a head coaches role at another club, which would most likely enable him to get out of his contract. I'd say Tinkler would be able to pay him just as much to be an assistant coach as he is getting to be head coach, so money shouldnt be an issue.

Noname36

First Grade
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/.../story-e6frf3ou-1226036429967?from=public_rss

Don't see the Knights players wanting him as badly as ours do....

Oh of course. I'm sure Bennett would be excited about going to a club like Souths where the playing group clearly don't know how to show respect for their coach...In comparison to Newcastle who obviously have a world of respect for theirs.

I feel sorry for Lang. I don't think anyone (maybe even Bennett) could get through the egos and actually coach a lot of those Souths players.

BranVan3000

Coach

What a tosser.
Wow what a foolish thing to say. Ross's comments seemed taken out of context cause I read that full interview and he praised Lang plenty. But that is just pathetic of Farrell, even if he is just a kid. You don't say sh*t like that, seems like he spends too much time reading the newspapers and not enough focusing on what his coach is saying

Latest posts