What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett Cut Loose By Broncos

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
NRL: South Sydney Rabbitohs sign Wayne Bennett on two-year deal
By George Vlotis
an hour ago

NRL coaching bombshell
FShareTTweetBEmail
South Sydney Rabbitohs have signed NRL super-coach Wayne Bennett from the Brisbane Broncos as head coach for the 2020 and 2021 seasons.

The Rabbits pounced on Bennett on Thursday afternoon after reports their breakout coach of last season Anthony Seibold had been linked with a move to Brisbane in what may shape to be a shock swap deal between the two clubs.

It is understood the Rabbitohs rescinded an offer to Seibold after growing tired of waiting for a response amid his interest to move elsewhere.

The Courier Mail reported Seibold had emerged as the Broncos preferred pick ahead of Kevin Walters, Jason Demetriou and Michael Maguire and is close to signing a three-year $3 million deal from 2020.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F10%2F25%2F17%2F49%2Fbennettbunnies_env.jpg

(AAP)

“Wayne is one of the best, if the not the best, Rugby League coaches of all time and we are excited to see what he can bring to our Club,” Rabbitohs General Manager of Football, Shane Richardson said.

“His football record is second-to-none and his reputation as a leader is also of the highest order.

“Here he will have the opportunity to work with some of the best senior and up-and-coming talent in the game, which from our discussions over the past few weeks I know he is excited about.

00:34

NRL coaching bombshell
00:20

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F10%2F24%2F14%2F18%2Fseibold_env.jpg

(AAP)
Brisbane's Bennett appears to have been involved in the potential direct swap with Seibold, though the Broncos have yet to confirm that move.

Souths confirmed Bennett's appointment was for the 2020 and 2021 seasons with no mention as to whether the door was open for him to make the move for 2019.

Bennett is the only man to have won 500 games from the coach's box with seven titles to his name.

The 68-year-old already has a close relationship with the Burgess brothers through his time with England, and will have all the resources he will require at the Rabbitohs.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F10%2F19%2F11%2F22%2Fbennettenv.jpg

(AAP)
"I'm truly humbled by the opportunity to coach the South Sydney Rabbitohs," Bennett said.

"Souths is one of the iconic clubs in the game. I didn't think I would get this opportunity, but that opportunity has now come for 2020 and 2021."

The veteran coach had been told by his former club that his contract would not be extended beyond the 2019 season.

He assumed control of the Brisbane Broncos in 1988 and coached until 2008, before returning in 2015.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/wayne-...ad-coach/4e5f1b0a-46c0-490e-af56-443b424a4198

When will journalists acknowledge Super League for what it was?

A rebel competition not authorised by the governing body of the day, the ARL.

Bennett, as coach, has overseen six premierships.

nontime111

Juniors
no, Dufty will improve defence...
Pearsons a gun trust me, i have close sources in Broncos camp, they are still cut he left...had huge raps on him! can tackle and has a passing game is fast and a gun in attack and also can finish!

Mann will be our other winger well go ok!

Dufty
Mann
Lomax
Lafai
Pearson
Widdop
Hunt

with Aitken taking Manns role off the bench, If Mcfroghead doesnt go with this line up he can suck my salary cap!!!!!

Smurf

Juniors
Pearsons a gun trust me, i have close sources in Broncos camp, they are still cut he left...had huge raps on him! can tackle and has a passing game is fast and a gun in attack and also can finish!

Dufty
Mann
Lomax
Lafai
Pearson
Widdop
Hunt

with Aitken taking Manns role off the bench, If Mcfroghead doesnt go with this line up he can suck my salary cap!!!!!

I like this backline ( and Aitken off the bench )
I don’t know much about Pearson’s ....
But your contacts opion is exciting

st penguin

Juniors
Our club is the useless pack of bludgers with no idea, not creeping.
We are an old boys club, the results over the past 7 years proves it.
Dead set useless twats
There was no way we were ever offering him a job. After agreeing a contract by handshake - and then being a weasel by backing out through your manager - you don’t come back from that type of shit.

He did similar things to souths and Newcastle. He has clearly been f**king around with the salary cap in his second stint in Brisbane.

I’m sorry. The guy has lost his integrity over the last 8 years.

Brutalitops

Juniors
I'm really not all that fussed about losing any of these coaches.

Wayne maybe might have been good but I can't exactly blame the board for being hesitant after the state he left us in (not to mention the poaching of players and backing out of a deal).

Maguire would not suit the Dragons. He is a great coach for a rebuild, squeezing every ounce from a team, and then loses them after a short intense window.

Abs Hasler was the biggest do of all. Stubborn old style coach who refuses to adapt and cant manage a cap without backending.

For me, I think it is best we wait it out for now, on the condition we do not renew Mary mid season. He can have an extension if we make the grand final though.

For me, I hope we end up with Demetrious

Dragsters

First Grade

Wayne maybe might have been good but I can't exactly blame the board for being hesitant after the state he left us in (not to mention the poaching of players and backing out of a deal).

Maguire would not suit the Dragons. He is a great coach for a rebuild, squeezing every ounce from a team, and then loses them after a short intense window.

Abs Hasler was the biggest do of all. Stubborn old style coach who refuses to adapt and cant manage a cap without backending.

For me, I think it is best we wait it out for now, on the condition we do not renew Mary mid season. He can have an extension if we make the grand final though.

Agree totally, though I would prefer Demetriou to Demetious.

I just rate him higher... :wink:

Crush

Coach

Dufty
Mann
Lomax
Lafai
Pearson
Widdop
Hunt

Aitken and Lafai will start as the centres. LOMAX will start in ISP.
Mann likely bench, maybe wing.
And thats the last time I'll bang on about the centres for 2019.
Now, time to concentrate on the cricket for a while.

BLM01

First Grade
Lomax will start in 1st grade, rest assured of that. Well...he would be if I was coaching.
Cant concentrate on the cricket their batting is worse ATM

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Question: which players did Bennett allegedly “poach”?

Boyd was always going with him, and McKinnon wanted to be closer to his family.

So, who else?

Latest posts