What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Backline in 2007

sooperdooper

First Grade
Who ever thinks parras backline doesnt look good are kidding them selves!
We have many options at our disposal
1. Hayne, Reddy, Burt, Inu
2. Hayne, Burt, Inu
3. B Smith, Inu
4. Tahu
5. Grothe
6. Finch
7. t Smith

I think we only lack in the centres for depth, there will be alot of competition for B Smiths spot if he doesnt fire early as it will be for the 6 and 7 if they dont perform..

yy_cheng

Coach
The Colonel said:
I don't rate him as a half. He is a strong defender and a good hooker. More adapt to the utility role - not strong in any one role. Didn't start out at Newcastle as Johns understudy but rather as a 5/8 in their lower grades - was given the job at half when Johns was injured - played his first few games on the wing. Played off the bench as a utility for them and subbed for Buderus.

Was given first crack at cementing the hooking role when he arrived at the Eels. I thought he did a good job in 2005 outside Smith and took a lot of pressure of him. This year however when he was placed under pressure defensively teams could then target Smith with him out of the game. He had his moments through the year when he did some good things but there were times when he didn't step up either.

Personally I think the Tigers have better options at half and hooker.

I thought Morris held the ball too long at 5/8th and gave no space to his outside men. Especially when you have the likes of Tahu, Grothe, Hayne hoping for ball in space.

Maybe, it will end up

6. Marshall
7. Farrah
9. Morris

Surely

Post Whore
I think the sharks following a big end of season recruiting spree will probably field the most lethal backline seen in a decade or two.

1. Albert
2. Clark
3. Stephenson
4. Hookey
5. Bott
6. Covell
7. Seymour

That would be barring injuries of course, look out !

The Colonel

Immortal
Surely said:
I think the sharks following a big end of season recruiting spree will probably field the most lethal backline seen in a decade or two.

1. Albert
2. Clark
3. Stephenson
4. Hookey
5. Bott
6. Covell
7. Seymour

It would most definitely be lethal..... Sharkies fans would be jumping ship everywhere.

mxlegend99

Referee
Panthers likely 07 Backline:

1. Rhys Wesser
2. Michael Gordon
3. ???? -Michael Jennings- ????
4. Luke Lewis
5. Luke Rooney
6. ???? -Peter Wallace/Jarrod Sammut/Craig Trindall/Paul Aiton-????
7. Craig Gower

IMO... that would be about the 4th or 5th worse backline in the comp.

Lewis isn't good in the centres, Jennings is yet to be proven at first grade and we have no other quality centres. Our 5/8 would rule if we use Aiton, but i think the other 3 are more likely.

I'd rate our side if we went with:

1. Rhys Wesser
2. Luke Lewis
3. Michael Jennings
4. Michael Gordon
5. Nick Youngquest
6. Paul Aiton
7. Craig Gower

That would be a top 8 backline.

lucablight

First Grade
simon says said:
And Id gladly have Morris over Finch,Morris is a good clubman who has a go,Finch seems to be able to split clubs and fans down the middle......not forgetting Tim,'please dont run at me' Smith........

But feel free to delude yerself.

Well you do so enjoy yourself.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Surely said:

1. Albert
2. Clark
3. Stephenson
4. Hookey
5. Bott
6. Covell
7. Seymour

4 hacks in one backline! I think we have a new winner fellas!:lol:

gregstar

Referee
Eelementary said:
1. Hayne
2. Inu
3. Smith
4. Tahu
5. Grothe
6. Finch
7. Smith

Not too shabby...
LOL!

it was looking fantastic until you got to number six.

in future just put # or - or ? or :lol: .

we'll all understand.

>zuzu<

Juniors
ShineDog said:
Bulldogs backline seem to cop some criticism , but on paper they are a fairly decent backline.

1. PATTEN
2. UTAI
3. TONGA
4. EMELIO / MILLARD.. ( BACK UP CENTRES SONNY BILL / MAITUA)
5. EL MASRI
6. HOLDSWORTH
7. SHERWIN

However , the Storm /Manly / Brisbane and Dragons have the best backlines in my opinion.
I have to say our backline looks like rubbish looking at these ones.
Patten - Player of the season for us, and rightly so. Underrated, but alot more ahead of him
2. Utai- destructive when ON the field and not serving suspension
3. Tonga- 1 good season so far. Was showing form this season before injury
4. Emelio- 1st shot at it, and is proving himself.
5. El Masri- Not just a GF, awesome winger, but yet again, plenty ahead of him

Btw Utai is 5 and El Masri is 2

As for our halves, Sherwin may have to go for mine.

Best backline i think would be Broncos or Storm. A origin player and a Kiwi internaltional were left out at some point in there season, which shows there depth.

Kiwi

First Grade
raiders fan forever said:
Raiders backline is quite woeful

I wouldn't go that far, very inexperienced, but if Zillman and Carney live up to the hype they'll be fine.

I see next year and the year after as the Raiders rebuilding years. If they can keep the young talent together, show some faith in them, get them performing to their abilities and potential, by 2009 the Raiders will be serious contenders again.

>zuzu<

Juniors
^^ With Micky Dobson coming over as well i think they can do something as well. Sure they lost a handful of players, but they can really turn on the heat with there youngesters.

Noa

First Grade
The_Savage_1 said:
inglis has got a massive boot on him

:-$, we need that kept a secret as you'll see it unleashed next year.

While we're on the subject of Greg playing 5/8 Bellamy never said that without question he will be the Storms 5/8 one day. All he said was that he could handle playing there. I'm yet to be convinced that he'll ever be a full-time 5/8.

1. Slater
2. Quinn
3. king
4. Inglis
5. Geyer (till Folau's ready)
6. Able bodied person who can catch and pass
7. Cooper Cronk

Kiwi

First Grade
borat said:
I just don't see how Inglis's passing or kicking game is really that far apart from Gaz. Both our outstanding individual players that can spark a team. To me Gaz seems to be hammered more about moving to 5/8 while Inglis gets a free ride.

I agree that Inglis seems to be getting a free ride from the critics. I also think gasnier will be a crap number 6, and so will Inglis.

They are runners pure and simple really. They both have a no passing game to speak of and couldn't kick their way out of a wet paper bag. They will be wasted at 6. They will do the odd brilliant thing there I have no doubt about that, and it'll be their footwork and speed they do it with, but opposing teams will very quickly realise they don't have to worry to much about their passing and kicking game and quickly shut them down. Both the Storm and Dragons rely on quick ball to the outside men who can then use their speed, putting someone who can't pass or kick to well into a key area denies that. Look at how Lockyer struggled with poor slow service from his halfback last year, defensive lines had a mile of time to shut him down, this year, great service and well you know the rest.

I think if you are going to move Gasnier, fullback would have been the best option. he is tall and good at getting up and under kicks on attack, so doing on defense wouldn't be too much of a adjustment, and by mid season he'd be very comfortable under bombs I feel. this would free gasnier up to float around the field, inject himself, use his speed and footwork to counter attack on kick returns and with a licience to pop up anywhere in attack the dragons would look very dangerous. Add to the fact Hornby and head could handle the halves job all the Dragons are doing is shutting down their own attack if Gasnier plays in the 6.

the Storm it's not so clear cut, they could move geyer to the 6, again though not the best option as it would only be short term. Cronk looks very settled, and didn't need Hill there to be firing. Promote a young guy from their ranks who they think has a future at the club. They have the stars around him with Ingliss, Slater, King, Geyer, ect and a firing halfback in Cronk to make the transition and learning curve that much easier. By putting Inglis to the 6, again they'll be shutting down their own attack.

Long winded post I know, sorry, and it's just a point of view, who knows I could be wrong and both could really go well in the 6. I just can't see it.

lockyno1 said:
IMO the dragons should not move the world's best centre. Same reason as the Broncos won't move hunt either.

Please don't tell me you are calling Hunt the world's best fullback?
:lol: :lol:

Charlie124 said:
1. Matt Bowen
2. Brenton Bowen
3. Paul Bowman (if fit)/Ashley Graham
4. Mark Henry
5. Ty Williams
6. Jason Smith
7. Jonathon Thurston

Love the halves combo ,but where is Scott Minto.?

Wicks

Juniors
And Gasnier wont be playing fullback when we have the ball next year?

I will take my lead from Noa Nandruku Let everyone else debate what is happening with the backlines at the Dragons and the Storm We will move on and just watch them develop something new

Latest posts