What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Backline in 2007

simon says

First Grade
Eelementary said:
I'd take Finch over Morris ANY day.

And now you're stuck with Morris...

And Id gladly have Morris over Finch,Morris is a good clubman who has a go,Finch seems to be able to split clubs and fans down the middle......not forgetting Tim,'please dont run at me' Smith........

But feel free to delude yerself.

simon says

First Grade
A big one.......but the Parra love in has brought me out.

And while Im at it,Grothe has terrible hands and would make me nervous as hell If I was a fan cos he always tries to get miracle passes away close to the line.

yobbo84

Coach
Best: Dragons, Broncos, Storm, Sea Eagles

As for my club, a lot of it will depend on whether another centre can step up to the plate (Vagana has the other spot). We really need Buddy Gordon to recapture some of that 2005 form when he exploded onto the scene. He really has the ability to intimidate his opposition. It also depends on whether JT wants to play Sutton at lock, 5/8 or centre. The only players who really are guaranteed a position come round 1 are Peachy, Merritt and Vagana.

I'd probably go for something like:

NRL

1. David Peachey
2. Nathan Merritt
3. Nigel Vagana
4. Yileen Gordon
5. Shannon Hegarty
6. Jeremy Smith
7. Joe Williams

PL:

1. Beau Champion
2. Reece Simmonds
3. Fetuli Talanoa
4. Germaine Paulson
5. Paul Mellor
6. Ben Rogers
7. Eddie Paea

Knights are looking at a pretty ordinary backline next year.... Particularly if injuries hit!

1. Thaiday.
2. Polglase.
3. McDougall.
4. Carmont.
5. Seage.
6. Mullen
7. Johns.

Others who maybe substituted are Franze, Tighe, Hinton and Gidley + others.

Eelementary

Post Whore
simon says said:
And Id gladly have Morris over Finch,Morris is a good clubman who has a go,Finch seems to be able to split clubs and fans down the middle......not forgetting Tim,'please dont run at me' Smith........

But feel free to delude yerself.

Morris is a man who feels he's way more talented that he actually is. Not to mention arrogant.

Tim "don't run at me" Smith...Well, same could be said for Marshall, eh. Benji "please don't make me tackle you or I'll rip my shoulder apart YET AGAIN" Marshall is no better than Smith.

But yes...I'm the deluded one, for thinking that we have a (and I quote) "not too shabby" backline...

The Colonel

Immortal
simon says said:
A big one.......but the Parra love in has brought me out.

And while Im at it,Grothe has terrible hands and would make me nervous as hell If I was a fan cos he always tries to get miracle passes away close to the line.

Agree with your sentiments on Grothe. Not sure there would be too many Parramatta fans who would disagree either. There are probably many who would also agree that Morris is neither a half or a 5/8 but rather a hooker.

Attack wise, Parra have a very strong backline. Defensively however there are times when they struggle and that will be the case next year as well. If you score more points than the opposition then it doesn't matter in the end.

Top 4 in the NRL in terms of backlines? I think a few here are being rather generous and one eyed.

1. Dragons
2. Melbourne
3. Brisbane

simon says

First Grade
The Colonel said:
Agree with your sentiments on Grothe. Not sure there would be too many Parramatta fans who would disagree either. There are probably many who would also agree that Morris is neither a half or a 5/8 but rather a hooker.

Attack wise, Parra have a very strong backline. Defensively however there are times when they struggle and that will be the case next year as well. If you score more points than the opposition then it doesn't matter in the end.

Top 4 in the NRL in terms of backlines? I think a few here are being rather generous and one eyed.

1. Dragons
2. Melbourne
3. Brisbane

Great post......glad to see someone can make a call without their blue and gold glasses on......much respect to you.

Attack wise Parra do measure up but close to the line they have a few heart breakers.

On Morris.Im surprised that you dont rate him.I know he started at the Knights as the 7 under Johns and was shuffled around in firsts.When at Parra I thought he was one of your best,good kicking game and a nice cut out pass,not to mention his superb defense.

Do you disagree with my thoughts on Morris???

The Colonel

Immortal
simon says said:
On Morris.Im surprised that you dont rate him.I know he started at the Knights as the 7 under Johns and was shuffled around in firsts.When at Parra I thought he was one of your best,good kicking game and a nice cut out pass,not to mention his superb defense.

Do you disagree with my thoughts on Morris???

I don't rate him as a half. He is a strong defender and a good hooker. More adapt to the utility role - not strong in any one role. Didn't start out at Newcastle as Johns understudy but rather as a 5/8 in their lower grades - was given the job at half when Johns was injured - played his first few games on the wing. Played off the bench as a utility for them and subbed for Buderus.

Was given first crack at cementing the hooking role when he arrived at the Eels. I thought he did a good job in 2005 outside Smith and took a lot of pressure of him. This year however when he was placed under pressure defensively teams could then target Smith with him out of the game. He had his moments through the year when he did some good things but there were times when he didn't step up either.

Personally I think the Tigers have better options at half and hooker.

borat

Bench
Just curious why people who think that Gasnier will fail as a 5/8th yet have no problem with Inglis. To me there are very similar players with the exception that Inglis can also play fullback.

lockyno1

Post Whore
borat said:
Just curious why people who think that Gasnier will fail as a 5/8th yet have no problem with Inglis. To me there are very similar players with the exception that Inglis can also play fullback.

Ingliss has played more 5/8 than Gasnier has. Plus the move from fullback which is Ingliss' best position to 5/8 is easier than centre to 5/8. Plus Ingliss can pass a lot better as well. Gasnierr is the world's best centre, it is dumb to consider moving him!

innsaneink

Referee
Eelementary said:
Morris is a man who feels he's way more talented that he actually is. Not to mention arrogant.
I agree to a point, watching him after hearing we'd signed him, he seems to too often try the big solo play, that never seemed to come off.
Dunno about the arrogant bit, selfish onfield at times, yes.

skeepe

Immortal
The Raiders will surprise everyone.

1. Bronx Goodwin
2. Colin Best
3. Phil Graham
4. Brett Kelly
5. David Howell
6. Todd Carney
7. William Zillman

Easily the most dangerous backline in the comp.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Best and howell...dear oh me! Best can't defend! There is a reason he was dropped. Talk about picking up a lemon!

The Colonel

Immortal
lockyno1 said:
fullback which is Ingliss' best position to 5/8 is easier than centre to 5/8.

I think you are a little to rapped up in Darren Lockyer and his transition locky. The move from centre to 5/8 in years past has always been a fairly well used transition. Not necessarily easy but some of the best 5/8's in the game started out at centre.

Bob Fulton, Brett Kenny, Laurie Daley, Brad Fittler and Brad Izzard all made the transition quite well I'm sure you will agree. I'm not sure how Inglis or Gasnier will go but I think they have the skills to do it.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Yes but all of those players had great passing games. Gasnier doesn't. That is where the big question lies. IMO the dragons should not move the world's best centre. Same reason as the Broncos won't move hunt either. Dragons should be:

1. Macdougal
2. Morris
3. Gaz
4. Cooper
5. Naquama
6. Hornby
7. Head

borat

Bench
The Colonel said:
I think you are a little to rapped up in Darren Lockyer and his transition locky. The move from centre to 5/8 in years past has always been a fairly well used transition. Not necessarily easy but some of the best 5/8's in the game started out at centre.

Bob Fulton, Brett Kenny, Laurie Daley, Brad Fittler and Brad Izzard all made the transition quite well I'm sure you will agree. I'm not sure how Inglis or Gasnier will go but I think they have the skills to do it.

I just don't see how Inglis's passing or kicking game is really that far apart from Gaz. Both our outstanding individual players that can spark a team. To me Gaz seems to be hammered more about moving to 5/8 while Inglis gets a free ride.

Inferno

Coach
borat said:
I just don't see how Inglis's passing or kicking game is really that far apart from Gaz. Both our outstanding individual players that can spark a team. To me Gaz seems to be hammered more about moving to 5/8 while Inglis gets a free ride.

Probably because Inglis hasn't already tried and failed. If he gets moved to 5/8 and is sh*t he'll be moved back to the centres or fullback a lot faster than Gaz will.

The_Savage_1

Juniors
borat said:

inglis has got a massive boot on him

Latest posts