What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Backline in 2007

_Johnsy

Referee
Surely said:
I think the sharks following a big end of season recruiting spree will probably field the most lethal backline seen in a decade or two.

1. Albert
2. Clark
3. Stephenson
4. Hookey
5. Bott
6. Covell
7. Seymour

That would be barring injuries of course, look out !

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Just checking if I have read this correctly. I hope like all hell I havn't just discovered i am dislexic. As one of the famous three said
"Whooooo........Whooooo........Whooooo........Whooooo........Whooooo"

aids

Bench
has finch ever played under a laid-back coach?
might result in a change of attitude for him, which is really one of his main faults

colonel_123

Juniors
yy_cheng said:
I thought Morris held the ball too long at 5/8th and gave no space to his outside men. Especially when you have the likes of Tahu, Grothe, Hayne hoping for ball in space.

Maybe, it will end up

6. Marshall
7. Farrah
9. Morris

I hope Sheens doesn't try to move Farah again, he's amongst the top 4 hookers in the game and provides so many valuable options in that role.

I think if Morris doesn't work out you'll be more likely to see Hodgson in the halves. He played the last 5 or 6 games for Wests in the halves before he was injured and with Shannon McDonnell providing a more then adequate back up fullback I think that would be a more likely move.

The other long term option half would be Rangi Chase, who's played in the halves and at hooker (is the hooker for NZ A) and played in the halves with Benji Marshall while they were both at Keebra Park.

grouch

First Grade
Kiwi said:
I agree that Inglis seems to be getting a free ride from the critics. I also think gasnier will be a crap number 6, and so will Inglis.

They are runners pure and simple really. They both have a no passing game to speak of and couldn't kick their way out of a wet paper bag. They will be wasted at 6.
Most Dragons fans will attest that Gasnier has a good passing game. He threw probably the pass of the year for the club at Kogarah v Storm, a 20 metre bullet at full speed onto the chest of Cooper.

And the idea that he'll be wasted is also hard to swallow - I'd consider him a bigger waste in the centres, citing the Storm semi as evidence where he barely touched the ball, yet the evasion-bereft Barrett got heaps.

At any rate it is worth exploring, given his previously proven ability to pop up across all areas of the field, his knack for beating defenders, and subsequently provide open space for support.

Notell

Juniors
Gasnier has great hands, but having a good passing game as 5/8 entails more than that. It is choosing the right options, under pressure, time and time again. He is not a 5/8. And he is certainly under-used in the centres, be that the nature of the game, the Dragons' style, or the work of the inside men. The fullback theory has great merit.

effnic

Bench
Surely said:
I think the sharks following a big end of season recruiting spree will probably field the most lethal backline seen in a decade or two.

1. Albert
2. Clark
3. Stephenson
4. Hookey
5. Bott
6. Covell
7. Seymour

:shock: oh dear!! You poor poor bastard, i wish for a fast and painless 2007 for you. But on a good note you can call your back line premier league all stars.

grouch

First Grade
The discussion is moot anyway, because it seems the Dragons are ignoring conventional structure, regarding strict adherence to numbers on backs. Gasnier, Hornby, Young, Head will share the duties - numbers on backs may not be interchangeable but the roles will be.

Notell

Juniors
grouch said:
The discussion is moot anyway, because it seems the Dragons are ignoring conventional structure, regarding strict adherence to numbers on backs. Gasnier, Hornby, Young, Head will share the duties - numbers on backs may not be interchangeable but the roles will be.

Yep. That is very gradually becoming a trend. At the end of the day, you need 13 players on the field that can get the ball over the opposition's tryline, and prevent 13 people from the opposition doing likewise. Rather than restrict themselves to traditional palying positions, coaches are slowly just using 13 footballers to overcome any 13 from the opposition.

If someone who had never heard of league before was told to get together a team according to the rules, he might think to get say eight huge blokes, four speedsters and one creative player. Positions and traditional ways of playing would not come into it.

Surely

Post Whore
effnic said:
:shock: oh dear!! You poor poor bastard, i wish for a fast and painless 2007 for you. But on a good note you can call your back line premier league all stars.

Probably lucky I'm not the coach then ;-)

Surely said:

1. Albert
2. Clark
3. Stephenson
4. Hookey
5. Bott
6. Covell
7. Seymour

comes close to our 2003 backline

1. Joel Caine
2. Mark O'Halloran
3. Daniel Fitzhenry
4. Terry Hill
5. Robert Miles

6. Michael Buettner
7. Lincoln Withers

Early on that year Buettner got injured and we went to this

1. Joel Caine
2. Mark O'Halloran
3. Nick Bradley-Quallilowa
4. Terry Hill
5. Robert Miles

6. Daniel Fitzhenry
7. Lincoln Withers

NOW THATS A BACKLINE

ShineDog

Juniors
Marshall_magic said:
1. Joel Caine
2. Mark O'Halloran
3. Nick Bradley-Quallilowa
4. Terry Hill
5. Robert Miles

6. Daniel Fitzhenry
7. Lincoln Withers

NOW THATS A BACKLINE

You may as well dream about the past as the Tigers will be fighting for the spoon this year....Lucky they can't go back to Premier League in 08.

j0rd0_ShArKs

Juniors
real sharks one hopefully, probably not as good as surelys one
start of the years backlines
First Grade/Premier League
1.Simmons/Brown
2.Albert/Cooper
3.Pomeroy/Robinson
4.Hannay/Anderson
5.Covell/Taulapapa
6.Dykes/Seymour
7.Kimmorley/Kearney

Premier league looks quite good and young with a lot of Potential a lot of these could take over a number of spots in forst grade by years end
My backline by the end
1.Brown
2.Simmons
3.Pomeroy
4.Robinson
5.Talaupapa
6.Seymour
7. Dykes

Fraser Anderson to come off the bench and play second row

Red Bear

Referee
Roosters, if they perform to their ability, could go alright. Need a pack to fire tho.

Dragons if Gasnier stays at centre

If Johns fires Newcastle could do anything

Parra im unsure of, they could go well, Tim Smith had a sh*t season but he is a bloody good player, people forget just how well he played in 2005. If someone keeps his head in check he'll go well.

Bulldogs rep backline players are over rated, yet their non reps are under rated. Utai and Tonga are f**k off players, can defend at all and not brilliant in attack. However other like Patten, Holdsworth play very well consistently.

Melbourne Brisbane same old same old. Hope thurston plays sh*t and cowboys go crap again.

Souths, better, depends how the pack goes.

Sharks and Penrith and Canberra are poor.

Manly's is good.

Titans, pfft.

Warriors is good as well.

D

Deleted member 10972

All Roosters lack is a genuine up & coming prop, two mongrel backrowers (one a metre-eater, the other a hooker/backrow utility like Crocker, Young, Costigan etc). If we had them, we would not even need Flannery or Anasta.

1. Anthony Minichiello
2. Amos Roberts
3. Iosia Soliola
4. STRIKE CENTRE (at the moment we have Monaghan, too slow)
5. STRIKE WINGER (at the moment we have J Williams, unproven)
6. Jamie Soward
7. Josh Lewis
8. Danny Nutley
9. Craig Wing
10. PROP FORWARD (at the moment we have Shillington, too soft)
11. BACKROWER (at the moment we have Plum, not enough yards)
12. Craig Fitzgibbon
13. Ashley Harrison

14. BACKROWER (at the moment we have Flannery, no impact or mongrel)
15. Nate Myles
16. Chris Beattie/Charlie Tonga/Dave Shillington
17. Anthony Tupou

Players that we stupidly released that would nicely slot into those positions are Ryan Cross, Shannon Hegarty, Jason Cayless/Peter Cusack (probably Yak because realistically we couldn't compete with the ESL money), Adrian Morley & Michael Crocker.

Kiwi

First Grade
grouch said:
Most Dragons fans will attest that Gasnier has a good passing game. He threw probably the pass of the year for the club at Kogarah v Storm, a 20 metre bullet at full speed onto the chest of Cooper.

And the idea that he'll be wasted is also hard to swallow - I'd consider him a bigger waste in the centres, citing the Storm semi as evidence where he barely touched the ball, yet the evasion-bereft Barrett got heaps.

At any rate it is worth exploring, given his previously proven ability to pop up across all areas of the field, his knack for beating defenders, and subsequently provide open space for support.

One pass does not make Gasnier a 6.

Gasnier does have a knack for beating defenders, but he does this out wide, one on one most of the time, it's alot harder to isolate defenders and get on the outside of them closer to the action.

Wouldn't fullback be the better option if you wanted to give Gasnier more ball? He could pop up anywhere, inject himself, and not have the resposability of a number 6.

Latest posts