What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best coach ever? Gibson V Bennett

who is the supreme coach

• Jack Gibson

Votes: 44 38.6%
  • Wayne Bennett

Votes: 70 61.4%

• Total voters

Jono1987

Juniors
Coaches are hired to build a team and lead them to winning a Premiership. Bennett wins, no contest.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Gibson, without doubt.

Took the winless '66 Roosters to the finals the following year. And also moulded perhaps the two greatest Premiership teams of the last 40 years - 74/75 Roosters and 81-83 Eels.

Just a few of his amazing coaching achievements.

Loudstrat

Coach
Cut and paste from:http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=376581&page=29

Jack took over Easts as spooners in 66, took them to the finals in 67.
Jack took over Newtown in 73 (out of finals in 72) - 3rd in 73
Jack too Eastrs from mising the finals in 73, to premiers in 74-75.
Jack took Parra from missing the finals in 1980, to premiers for the next 3 years
Jack took on second last Souffs (3 wins in 77) to 12 wins in 1979

Bennet has only coached gun sides. And those that are about to say how terrible Saints were in 2008 - they got to 30 points - double what any club had when Jack took over.

And Bennet had salary cap concessions from 88-95. All clubs bar Brisbane had top include a reserve grade side in the cap.

Dazzat

First Grade
Comparing coaches is like young boys comparing fathers in the school yard ... "My Dad is better than you're Dad!" stuff.

Coaching is as much about relationships between individuals as about tactics and plans, and you can't measure that. A great coach for one group of people may not be a great coach for another.

I was privileged to sit in a meeting where Wayne Bennett unexpectedly spoke about his philosophy of coaching (he was supposed to talk about something else, but didn't ... long story).

He spoke for about 45 minutes and besides saying that Jack Gibson was the best coach of all time, spoke almost exclusively about how he manages his relationships with his players, and goes out of his way to understand them. He has tactics to do this.

Results, salary caps, premierships ... all secondary indicators of coaching ability. The big indicator for me is how ex-players talk about the coach after they've retired and gone on to other things besides football, and how the coach helped them develop as human beings. I hear nothing but adoration from ex-Broncos players.

Loudstrat

Coach
Fair call Dazzat. Many coaches had similar tributes from their charges, and Jack certainly had his.

Jack operated in pre-professional days. He insisted that his players had jobs. When he came to Parra, he got all players to fill out a questionnaire. One question asked "Do you have a job?" Brett Kenny answered "no". Jack approached him on night at training. and Bert confirmed it. Jack made some phone calls, and Bert had a job the next day.

Loudstrat

Coach
OVERALL SUCESS RATE:
Bennett 63.8%, Gibson 62.3%

Bennets best stats are 69.8% with Saints. Jack had 69.7% with Easts, and over 70% with Parra. Of course, Jack coached Souffs and Cronulla, but note that Jack won 61.5% of all games, and the clubs only club championship, at Newtown.

REP PLAYERS IN PREMIERSHIP YEARS

GIBSON:
Easts 1974: TEST REPS: 3 current, 3 former = 6
Easts 1975: TEST REPS: 8 current, 3 former = 11
Parra 1981: TEST REPS: 3 current, 3 former. ORIGIN REPS: 2 current, 1 former = 9
Parra 1982: TEST REPS: 8 current, 2 former. ORIGIN REPS: 2 former = 12
PARRA 1983: TEST REPS: 4 current, 4 former. ORIGIN REPS: 4 current, 1 former = 13

AVERAGE: 5.1

BENNETT
Brisbane 1992: TEST REPS: 7 current, 3 former. ORIGIN REPS: 2 current, 2 former = 14
BRISBANE 1993: TEST REPS: 6 current, 3 former. ORIGIN REPS: 4 curent, 2 former = 15
BRISBANE 1998: TEST REPS: 9 current, 1 former. ORIGIN REPS: 3 current, 1 former = 14
BRISBANE 2001: TEST REPS: 6 current, 6 former. ORIGIN REPS: 1 former - 13
BRISBANE 2006: TEST REPS: 8 current, 4 former. ORIGIN REPS: 1 current, 3 former = 16
ST ILLAWARRA 2010: TEST REPS: 7 current, 4 former. ORIGIN REPS: 2 current = 13

AVERAGE = 14.1

Jack won his comps with almost ONE THIRD of the rep talent that Bennet had.

Jack sh*ts it in!

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I just think it's wonderful our game has two such magnificent pillars whom we can admire and learn from.

I refused to vote.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
This is not a fair comparision, Bennett has not retired, until then, he cannot be judged.

You won't hear a bad word from me about Jack, clearly a master coach.

Wayne is obviously proving to be one, but has more pages to write.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Both are legends. The only 2 differences between the two that I can think of is that Jack moved to different clubs to learn while Wayne changed staff at the one club to learn. Both worked brilliantly. The other difference is that Jack was an innovator while Wayne stuck to basics. Both successful.

Both coaches make their players better people and put them on a good path and really thats what a coach is.

Loudstrat

Coach
F*ck, Langer and Tallis must have been awful before Bennett got to them!

face it - Bennet needed twice as many rep players, and twice as long as Jack to do the same stuff. And unless he pilots the Dragons to a third straight in 2012, he will never surpass Jack Gibson.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
OVERALL SUCESS RATE:

Bennets best stats are 69.8% with Saints. Jack had 69.7% with Easts, and over 70% with Parra. Of course, Jack coached Souffs and Cronulla, but note that Jack won 61.5% of all games, and the clubs only club championship, at Newtown.

GIBSON:
Parra 1981: TEST REPS: 3 current, 3 former. ORIGIN REPS: 2 current, 1 former = 9
PARRA 1983: TEST REPS: 4 current, 4 former. ORIGIN REPS: 4 current, 1 former = 13

BENNETT
Brisbane 1992: TEST REPS: 7 current, 3 former. ORIGIN REPS: 2 current, 2 former = 14
BRISBANE 1993: TEST REPS: 6 current, 3 former. ORIGIN REPS: 4 curent, 2 former = 15
BRISBANE 1998: TEST REPS: 9 current, 1 former. ORIGIN REPS: 3 current, 1 former = 14
BRISBANE 2006: TEST REPS: 8 current, 4 former. ORIGIN REPS: 1 current, 3 former = 16

AVERAGE = 14.1

Jack sh*ts it in!

i love my stats as they never lie...

however... the only issue with using these to compare wayne bennett to (pearce off) jack gibson is that there was limited origin during gibson's tenure, and none in his first couple of years, which bends his average..

also it could be debated that there are more tests played in last 20 years, leading to more test players being picked..

the winning stats are great tho..

BDGS

Bench
Gibson in front of Bennett atm, but Bennett still has time left in his career.

Big Pete

Referee
I never saw enough of Gibson's teams to comment but it's a shame a lot of people are forgetting Bennett's history prior to the Broncos.

I hope people realise he's been coaching since the 70's and has won more than seven premierships...

mxlegend99

Referee
OVERALL SUCESS RATE:

GIBSON:

BENNETT

AVERAGE = 14.1

Jack sh*ts it in!
How does that work when his lowest amount of rep players was 6?

6 + 11 + 9 + 12 + 13 = 51
51 / 5 = 10.2

Although I personally wouldn't count former rep players... in most cases they're former rep players because they just aren't good enough any more.

Big Pete

Referee
Decent attempt at trying to draw a comparison of who had the most talent Loudstrat, but the basis of it is always going to be mirky at best considering the nature of representative teams and selections as well as some factual errors - I know you may not want to remember, but it was actually Newcastle who destroyed Parra's hopes in 40 minutes, not the Broncos.

You also forgot to include 1997 and the 1985 BRL premiership against a star studded Wynnum Manly side.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
Well then it depends what's the question, who is the best coach ever? or who has the has been the best coach ever in the NSWRL ARL, SL and NRL?