What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best fighters in rugby league?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Betham, Whatuira and Webb are all trained fighters so I'd go for them. Most of the big units might be strong but they don't know how to aim a punch properly.

OVP

Coach
How would anyone know who they best fighters today are ? They hardly ever fight and are probably too scared to do it because the MRL might try to ruin their careers.

Best ive seen ...

Anthony Mundine ... but not from the rugby league field.

Billy Johnston ... the Bulldogs hooker ... he was tiny but he could knock any league player out

Mal Meninga ... in a charity boxing match against the AFL git Mark Jacko Jackson. Meninga destroyed him soooooo bad in 30 seconds, that i honestly feared for Jackson's life. The single biggest boxing massacre EVER :lol:. Its a shame Mal didnt try out for Boxing ... he'd make it easily. He had a punch that rivalled Tyson, no sh!t.

Peter Kelly ... Bulldogs prop ... he'd rarely miss.

Bob Cooper ... one single punch was all he ever needed and it was rare for him to miss. Scary, really scary guy.

McLovin

Staff member
I've never seen Betham in a fight, maybe a scuffle, but not a full on punch up. I don't know what all the hype is about. It seems every time Big League brings out their player survey he's the player nobody wants to get into a fight with...

MC84 said:
I've never seen Betham in a fight, maybe a scuffle, but not a full on punch up. I don't know what all the hype is about. It seems every time Big League brings out their player survey he's the player nobody wants to get into a fight with...
People with training in boxing and martial arts usually have an expectation of them to not use the skills they learn for the wrong reason. If he's as good as they say he is then he could potentially do some serious damage to whoever he connected with, so I'm guessing he probably makes a conscious effort to not get into those kinds of situations.
Plus, if he's always voted the player nobody wants to fight, who is there that WOULD want to fight him? People probably make an effort to stay away from him too!

C.P

Juniors
OVP said:
Mal Meninga ... in a charity boxing match against the AFL git Mark Jacko Jackson. Meninga destroyed him soooooo bad in 30 seconds, that i honestly feared for Jackson's life. The single biggest boxing massacre EVER :lol:. Its a shame Mal didnt try out for Boxing ... he'd make it easily. He had a punch that rivalled Tyson, no sh!t.
guy.

Agree with Peter Kelly he was one tough hombre but on the subject of Meninga didnt Mark McGaw punch crap out of him in a charity/testamonial game or something i thought i remembered seeing years ago or maybe it was the other way around.

A few have mentioned Fui Fui but i dont recall ever having seen him in a blue?? Has he and ive just missed it.

Carl Webb, Betham and all the usual suspects i agree with but I'd throw Gorden Tallis into the mix as well, he came out on top in a few punch ons

Inferno

Coach
Where Eagles Dare said:
People with training in boxing and martial arts usually have an expectation of them to not use the skills they learn for the wrong reason. If he's as good as they say he is then he could potentially do some serious damage to whoever he connected with, so I'm guessing he probably makes a conscious effort to not get into those kinds of situations.
Plus, if he's always voted the player nobody wants to fight, who is there that WOULD want to fight him? People probably make an effort to stay away from him too!

Hmmm, I wonder who would win a poll of someone you would most like to fight. Probably Ryles or Barrett :lol:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Has anyone actually SEEN Moimoi fight? Just because he's big doesn't mean he can fight...

Webb would be number one I reckon.

OVP

Coach
C.P said:
Agree with Peter Kelly he was one tough hombre but on the subject of Meninga didnt Mark McGaw punch crap out of him in a charity/testamonial game or something i thought i remembered seeing years ago or maybe it was the other way around.

A few have mentioned Fui Fui but i dont recall ever having seen him in a blue?? Has he and ive just missed it.

Carl Webb, Betham and all the usual suspects i agree with but I'd throw Gorden Tallis into the mix as well, he came out on top in a few punch ons

Not that i recall. McGaw may have been on the undercard for that Charity night. Obviously Big Mal vs Jacko was the big fight, but perhaps McGaw smashed a AFL player instead. Cant say ive ever seen Meninga vs McGaw ... but i know who my money would be on. Or it might have been a female that McGaw beat ... so low but so true :(

RABK

Referee
No it was in a legends of league match about 4 years ago now.

In of course what was a friendly game where legends from the 80's and early 90's got together for charity, McGaw took exception to a Meninga tackle and got up swinging while Meninga simply laughed off the punches while throwing a couple back.

McGaw been a total dick if you ask me, and half his team mates that night said as much.

RABK

Referee
I'm pretty sure Crocker once got his ass handed to him at the CBH, didn't that make the papers? I think the part of him been ejected did but i'm not sure about the fact that he got floored by a bloke.

aqua_duck

Coach
I imagine Wiki would go pretty hard, Franky Pitchard looks like a bloke who you wouldnt want to run into at 11:30pm at Mt Druitt station and Reni's had a few dust ups in his time (off the field)
Though I don't know if there's anyone who'd want to take on Carl Webb.

RABK

Referee
In the Warriors vs Broncos brawl of 03 didn't Koopu give Webb a hiding? I'm pretty sure he did and Webb looked lost as his face met Koopu's fist.

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
C.P said:

i think it was MG who beat Damien Monkhurst, the biggest AFL player at the time.........12 secs or something.

wittyfan

Referee
Witty was a junior boxing champ, and Marcus Perenara learned all about on Sunday. :lol:

Breadman

Juniors
Bring back Les Davidson, the man was a beast!!!
Today, Guttenbeil looked pretty nasty when he beat the crap out of Casey Maguire.
Betham also beat the crap out of Maguire just before it but certainly didn't look like a world beater, left himself wide open and if Maguire could throw a punch he may have found himself on his ass.
I reckon there is probably some lightweight reserve grader who would karate chop everyone to bits, you can never know who can fight (unless you've seen them get their ass handed to them before)