What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best team to never win a premiership?

Red Bear

Referee
borat said:
GoTheBears said:
They were a damn good side, even sterlo rates them as the best team not to win a comp. The backline is prety blody good, fast as plus flor n taylor were excellent. Taylor was a choker tho.

But I'm sure you would admit they were chokers. It didn't matter how well Norths had played during the season as soon as it came finals time if your team was up against them you were confident because Norths could not handle the pressure.

I can't remember what year it was exactly, I think it was 96, I was at the preliminary final Norths vs Dragons at SFS with a heap of Norths supporters who were giving me stick all the first half. They were very confident that this was Norths year. Anyway, Mundine opened them up in the 2nd half and the rest is history.
I was at that 96 match. I agree they were chokers, and taylor in particular. It was a curse of over 70 years which saw them choke. They just couldnt quite get over the line unfortunately(we shoulda bought Glenn Laerus whenever he went off contract, he woulda been the an to get us over the line).

eelsta

Bench
dice said:
IMO, 2001 Parra side was highly overrated. The current Bulldogs or Roosters outfit would have spanked them.
thats why they smashed every concievable record there was. not bad for overrated yes they lost when it counted
but get your facts right before you speak next time or i will just have to change my mind and go for the dogs on sun(NOT)

aids

Bench
Chippo Raiders said:
You can't compare, you won't ever know...

Hindmarsh
Ryan
Hodgson
Cayless
Smith
Lyon
Vaeiliki

A side which destroyed all year they were the "best side" not to win, they choked but they still dominated, more so than the Dogs or Roosters this year, more so than the Panthers and Roosters last year and the Roosters the year before, Parramatta were almost perfect at the time and lost on the back ofthe fact Newcastle had players who had individual brilliance..Andrew Johns was the only reason I didn't believe the Parra hype

a good team true, west's beat them early in the year.
i know i won 120 bucks on it.

same is true with bulldogs this year, which is why roosters will win.

my picks, 89 tigers, 01 eels and 02 warriors

dice

Juniors
eelsta said:
dice said:
IMO, 2001 Parra side was highly overrated. The current Bulldogs or Roosters outfit would have spanked them.
thats why they smashed every concievable record there was. not bad for overrated yes they lost when it counted
but get your facts right before you speak next time or i will just have to change my mind and go for the dogs on sun(NOT)

I don't care what Parra statistically achieved in 2001 because regular season means FA. They couldn't win the game that counted and were not even competitive the following year.

Greenblooded

Juniors
I don't care what Parra statistically achieved in 2001 because regular season means FA. They couldn't win the game that counted and were not even competitive the following year.

Did you actually read the topic title??

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
aids said:
Chippo Raiders said:
You can't compare, you won't ever know...

Hindmarsh
Ryan
Hodgson
Cayless
Smith
Lyon
Vaeiliki

A side which destroyed all year they were the "best side" not to win, they choked but they still dominated, more so than the Dogs or Roosters this year, more so than the Panthers and Roosters last year and the Roosters the year before, Parramatta were almost perfect at the time and lost on the back ofthe fact Newcastle had players who had individual brilliance..Andrew Johns was the only reason I didn't believe the Parra hype

a good team true, west's beat them early in the year.
i know i won 120 bucks on it.

same is true with bulldogs this year, which is why roosters will win.

my picks, 89 tigers, 01 eels and 02 warriors

Warriors missed Brent Webb in the finals and lost their x factor, Canberra beat Parra 22-6 on TV in 2001

eelsta

Bench
dice said:
eelsta said:
dice said:

BREAKING all sorts of records is not fa as you put it and as far as not being competitive the next year it wasnt the same team no they didnt win the game that mattered but does that mean they dont deserve creit for scoring the most points, most tries, best defence , etc etc if so then if the roosters dont win on sunday they too must be overratedseeing how youve been ib 4 grand finals recently and lost 3 mmmm

KFC

Juniors
I think the Balmain sides of 88, 89 were great teams.

Also the Souths 89 team only lost 2 games during the regular season but went out the back door in the semis.

Broncodroid

Juniors
2 Teams that standout for me:

Canterbury 2002: 24G - 20W - 3L - 1D - 2B - 707F - 435A - 45pts
* 37 premiership points deducted due to Salary Cap infringement

What a team this was, they looked near unbeatable in every facet of the game and were on their way to Grand Final in many people's eyes. Due to club directors / management, they were robbed the chance of competiting for the title in 2002 having 37pts stripped from their final total.

Parramatta 2001: 26G - 20W - 4L - 2D - 839A - 406A - 42pts

It seems a lifetime ago when this was team was the most feared in the premiership. 3rd place Newcastle went onto win the title on the back of inspiring play from Johns and for the Eels, this was a season mentally that took it's toll on senior players and their coach.

Other teams worthy of a mention; Souths 1989, St.George 1993 and some of the early 90's North Sydney sides who continually stumbled in September.

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
Broncodroid said:
2 Teams that standout for me:

Canterbury 2002: 24G - 20W - 3L - 1D - 2B - 707F - 435A - 45pts
* 37 premiership points deducted due to Salary Cap infringement

What a team this was, they looked near unbeatable in every facet of the game and were on their way to Grand Final in many people's eyes. Due to club directors / management, they were robbed the chance of competiting for the title in 2002 having 37pts stripped from their final total.

Parramatta 2001: 26G - 20W - 4L - 2D - 839A - 406A - 42pts

It seems a lifetime ago when this was team was the most feared in the premiership. 3rd place Newcastle went onto win the title on the back of inspiring play from Johns and for the Eels, this was a season mentally that took it's toll on senior players and their coach.

Other teams worthy of a mention; Souths 1989, St.George 1993 and some of the early 90's North Sydney sides who continually stumbled in September.

It was wrong they had that team in the first place 3-4 major players less and they are middle of the road.

Nonny1980

Juniors
KFC said:

Also the Souths 89 team only lost 2 games during the regular season but went out the back door in the semis.

I was just about to point out that Souths won the Minor Premiership that year. The Tigers ran in 3rd. We were favourites for the grand final but I wouldn't say we were the most dominate team that year. Souths would surely take that spot.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I'm a bit biased but I think the Raiders were unlucky in 1995. We finished equal first with Manly on 40 points. We were heavy favourites in the preliminary final but the dogs got us and went on to win it.

Finished: 2nd (Preliminary Finalist), Wins: 20, Losses: 2, Draws: 0, Competition Points: 40
Points Scored: 634, Points Conceded: 255, Differential: +379
Biggest Win: 58-4 v South Qld (Rd 22)
Biggest Loss: 12-38 v Cronulla (Rd 15)
Leading Tryscorer: Jason Croker - 15
Leading Pointscorer: David Furner - 198 (79g, 10t)

The side included the likes of Mullins, Nagas, Nadruku, Croker, Wiki, Daley, Stuart, Furner, Walters and Clyde.

Nonny1980

Juniors
Nonny1980 said:
KFC said:

I was just about to point out that Souths won the Minor Premiership that year. The Tigers ran in 3rd. We were favourites for the grand final but I wouldn't say we were the most dominate team that year. Souths would surely take that spot.

Just one more point... The raiders won 8 games in a row to make the grand final in 1989... why were they massive under-dogs??? If this happened today everybody would be saying that they have the momentum. Also in their only other clash besides the grand final the Tigers only beat Canberra 18-12. I think with all the hysteria of the grand final people wanted to make out the raiders were a hopeless team that sprung a miraculas upset.

DJ1

Juniors
I would have to say that the Roosters teams over the 5 years from 2000 to 2004 would have to be the best teams to never win a real premiership.

eelsta

Bench
DJ1 said:
I would have to say that the Roosters teams over the 5 years from 2000 to 2004 would have to be the best teams to never win a real premiership.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: