What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best team to never win a premiership?

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
Parramatta...what you mst remember that in 2000 they smashed the Roosters and lost to Brisbane 16-10..They deserved to be the runners up that year.

2001 943 points and were the most dominant legal team of the current decade and since 1995.

They also put 50 past the Warriors in the Finals

Note: Manly were a level past Canberra in 95, as a Raiders fan I admit. I have a tape of the game Canberra lost 16-8 against Manly that year and the score didn't reflect the game, we should have lost by more and it was our first loss at home in 2 and a half years!!!

Mr Saab

Referee
t-ba the hutt said:
Sorry, Got my seasons mixed up. That was 1996 with the defensive record.

thats ok.
yes in 1996 it was 8.68 points per game conceded. The eagles were not toooooooo flash early on, but came on strong after Ridge came back at around rnd 8-9 after the Super LEague crap

Red Bear

Referee
North Sydney in the 90's
A backline of
Seers
Dallas
Beutner
Ikin
Roy #-o
Florimo
Taylor

One of the best back rows around of
13. Moore
12. Larson
11. Fairleigh

And Soden at hooker, plus players like Leyshon and Morrison in the latter years was a pretty bloody awesome, and they managed to play brilliantly at club level throughout the season and then went n bloody choked in not 1 but 4 preliminary finals as well as the 98 semi's.

Para 01 is of course another team and looking at their team the Balmain teams of 88-89 were unlucky.

borat

Bench
Booyah said:
borat said:
Booyah said:
I'm Biased so I'd probably say Cronulla in 1999. I really thought that would be our year...

And you couldn't go past Parra in 2001.

Cronulla 99 were exposed as the soft pretenders they always were. :D

I don't know about that... what was the half time score in the Grand final again? :p

Pretty similar to the Sharkies Preliminary final half-time score wasn't it?

Every other side mentioned here at least made the grand final. Sharkies were never good enough to do so and hence were Pretenders Royale.

Just needed a good side to put them to the sword. :D

dice

Juniors
troydodds said:
Dice - what planet are you on? The side broke point scoring, attacking, defensive and whatever other record they could find and smashed it. They thrashed sides to a pulp. How were they over-rated?

I don't care. They were a good young side playing above themselves and it was no surprise to see them lose to a quality Newcastle side when it counted.

Mr Saab

Referee
GoTheBears said:
North Sydney in the 90's
A backline of
Seers
Dallas
Beutner
Ikin
Roy #-o
Florimo
Taylor

13. Moore
12. Larson
11. Fairleigh

hmmm forward pack was good, but the backline doesnt get me too excited. Norths had their chances 1994/6/7 but they lost to better teams.

borat

Bench
GoTheBears said:
North Sydney in the 90's
A backline of
Seers
Dallas
Beutner
Ikin
Roy #-o
Florimo
Taylor

13. Moore
12. Larson
11. Fairleigh

And Soden at hooker, plus players like Leyshon and Morrison in the latter years was a pretty bloody awesome, and they managed to play brilliantly at club level throughout the season and then went n bloody choked in not 1 but 4 preliminary finals as well as the 98 semi's.

Para 01 is of course another team and looking at their team the Balmain teams of 88-89 were unlucky.

Parra 01 and Balmain all made the Grand Final. They were the best team all year by a mile and fell at the last hurdle.

Norths in the 90's and sharks 99 never made a grand final and are not in the same category as the other two mentioned. If you are on top all year and can't even make it to the grand final it shows the team are chokers when it really counted and not deserving of a title anyway.

legend

Coach
Definitely Parra in 2001. They were a superb side who played as a team and will own some records twenty years from now.

Mr Saab

Referee
dice said:
I don't care. They were a good young side playing above themselves and it was no surprise to see them lose to a quality Newcastle side when it counted.

i agree with you! Any team with Buettner and Taylor as their halves is destined to not win the major prize. At the time i was swept up with their achievements, but looking back they were not THAT good.
Current Roosters or Dogs team would have beaten them

Red Bear

Referee
They were a damn good side, even sterlo rates them as the best team not to win a comp. The backline is prety blody good, fast as plus flor n taylor were excellent. Taylor was a choker tho.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Norths throughout the 90's poor blokes they played so well during the normal season then choked in the final series.

Booyah

Bench
troydodds said:
Booyah said:
borat said:
Booyah said:
I'm Biased so I'd probably say Cronulla in 1999. I really thought that would be our year...

And you couldn't go past Parra in 2001.

Cronulla 99 were exposed as the soft pretenders they always were. :D

I don't know about that... what was the half time score in the Grand final again? :p

At least the Dragons made it

Sorry, was I speaking to you?

mightybears

Bench
wests 'millionaires' lost 4 grand finals in 5 or 6 years to saints, including the suspected dodgy ref final [58 or 59, plus 61,62,63]

t-ba

Post Whore
I thought 1994 was their best chance. That prelim Final against the Broncs was an absolute classic and when Lomax got sent off in the GF qualifier I was like "Here we go". Of course, the old NS Oval Curse kicked in and Gary Larson got sent off for a tackle he was exonerated immediately after the match for :lol: .

Should have moved to Chatswood Oval Back in the 20's when they had the chance :lol:

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
dice said:

i agree with you! Any team with Buettner and Taylor as their halves is destined to not win the major prize. At the time i was swept up with their achievements, but looking back they were not THAT good.
Current Roosters or Dogs team would have beaten them

You can't compare, you won't ever know...

Hindmarsh
Ryan
Hodgson
Cayless
Smith
Lyon
Vaeiliki

A side which destroyed all year they were the "best side" not to win, they choked but they still dominated, more so than the Dogs or Roosters this year, more so than the Panthers and Roosters last year and the Roosters the year before, Parramatta were almost perfect at the time and lost on the back ofthe fact Newcastle had players who had individual brilliance..Andrew Johns was the only reason I didn't believe the Parra hype

Mr Saab

Referee
chippo

the eels were good in 2001, but they over achieved IMO. they were luck they got passed an under strength broncos team in the 2001 prelim final.
You summed it up well...INDIVIDUAL brilliance....the eels didnt have it and every GF winning team has players of that classification

borat

Bench
GoTheBears said:
They were a damn good side, even sterlo rates them as the best team not to win a comp. The backline is prety blody good, fast as plus flor n taylor were excellent. Taylor was a choker tho.

But I'm sure you would admit they were chokers. It didn't matter how well Norths had played during the season as soon as it came finals time if your team was up against them you were confident because Norths could not handle the pressure.

I can't remember what year it was exactly, I think it was 96, I was at the preliminary final Norths vs Dragons at SFS with a heap of Norths supporters who were giving me stick all the first half. They were very confident that this was Norths year. Anyway, Mundine opened them up in the 2nd half and the rest is history.

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
chippo

the eels were good in 2001, but they over achieved IMO. they were luck they got passed an under strength broncos team in the 2001 prelim final.
You summed it up well...INDIVIDUAL brilliance....the eels didnt have it and every GF winning team has players of that classification

Their problem was they let their players go, and the ones remaining like Vella and Cayless went soft, I think Denis prays to Hindy every night before he goes to bed now... but it is similar to 1995 Manly didn't have any individual brilliance, Cliffy Lyons really was line ball in that regard.

Mr Saab

Referee
Chippo Raiders said:
Their problem was they let their players go, and the ones remaining like Vella and Cayless went soft, I think Denis prays to Hindy every night before he goes to bed now... but it is similar to 1995 Manly didn't have any individual brilliance, Cliffy Lyons really was line ball in that regard.

not talking about what happened yrs 2002-3-4-5
we are talking about that one year in 2001.

Latest posts