What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Matty v Big Fat

Spot On

Coach
Yeah well if it's called the Footy Show then it should focus on the footy. I understand some of the content should be "funny, amusing, entertaining' but I'd like the footy to be tracked as well. If M. Johns can do that than so be it. I'm not interesting in watching an hour of his skits. He tried that and failed. Apparently he isn't the second coming of Hoges. Singo has been wrong all along. Move on.

cleary89

Coach
Talked about it on the grill team.

Matty basically said that he felt the show being "reinvented" wasn't enough. Needed new people, a new name and possibly even a new time slot. Kept stressing nothing against fatty, but that if he took it it would feel like he was going back in his career.

Gus said what about the money? And he was like "once or twice in my career i have done stuff for the money, and i've learnt if you can't learn from your mistakes your a mug. what would you guys think if i went back and was doing the same thing I was doing 5,6,7,8 years ago? I was there for the money".

Said he learnt alot from his show, in hindsight needed more football content, controversy corner was everyones favourite part so needed more of that. He wouldn't host it again, needed more journalist panelists, someone like ben fordham (?) to host and have more footy content.

Ray Hadley called in and said fattys been on the air for 18 years, the melbourne footy show has gone from strength to strength and seen people like eddie leave.

In all honesty, I use to make sure I watched it every thursday night, last year I probably watched 1/3 of them. The ratings reflect this. It needs to be reinvented.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Make Sterlo host, have people on there interested in serious footy talk, not Benm Ikin though ffs.

One comedy bit for the whole show is enough, don't need all the other shit.

Its become "Hey hey its the footy show"

get amongst it

Juniors
Talked about it on the grill team.

Matty basically said that he felt the show being "reinvented" wasn't enough. Needed new people, a new name and possibly even a new time slot. Kept stressing nothing against fatty, but that if he took it it would feel like he was going back in his career.

Gus said what about the money? And he was like "once or twice in my career i have done stuff for the money, and i've learnt if you can't learn from your mistakes your a mug. what would you guys think if i went back and was doing the same thing I was doing 5,6,7,8 years ago? I was there for the money".

Said he learnt alot from his show, in hindsight needed more football content, controversy corner was everyones favourite part so needed more of that. He wouldn't host it again, needed more journalist panelists, someone like ben fordham (?) to host and have more footy content.

Ray Hadley called in and said fattys been on the air for 18 years, the melbourne footy show has gone from strength to strength and seen people like eddie leave.

In all honesty, I use to make sure I watched it every thursday night, last year I probably watched 1/3 of them. The ratings reflect this. It needs to be reinvented.

I Concur.

Or bring back sterlo, chief and matty :)

cleary89

Coach
Heaps of Afl people say that about their footy show (needs more footy content), but I reckon that's the funiest show on tv.

Switch the channel when they bring up the team lists or have afl talk, but come back for all the rest of it. Sam Newman is the funniest guy on TV.

Phil_22

Juniors
This is another Telecrap beat up for sure...

If Singo has said those things about Fatty though he is a dead set goose, sure he might be overrated, but look at the stats, you just can't say what he has supposedly said.

Stagger Lee

Bench
The footy show is painfull to watch when they try and force the humour. Sometimes on the show, like in real life, they can say something very funny but that does not make them comedians. Spend more time talking footy and leave the the real humour to the Sunday roast.

The Fat man is funny in very small doses but more than a few minutes once a month he is just boorish. Same with Beau knows, one or two sketches have been very funny but trying to make one every week is beyond his and the writers skill.

The NRL deserves a good footy show, it needs a good footy show. Channel 9 however are failing the NRL, either make big changes or pass the crown to someone else please because at the moment it is to painful to watch.

Heaps of Afl people say that about their footy show (needs more footy content), but I reckon that's the funiest show on tv.

Switch the channel when they bring up the team lists or have afl talk, but come back for all the rest of it. Sam Newman is the funniest guy on TV.

Cleary, are you for real?

Sam Newman?

Dear oh dear....

The Gambler

Juniors
I think the show will appeal to the masses again simply by stuffing a bit more 'footy talk' in. They can package it up however they want, change the name, the set, bring some new members onto the panel - at the end of the day it seems quite clear that people are just calling for less crap and more footy. I don't think there is a need for Fatty to get the boot - he is a good fit for the role, and he will come across a lot better if he was forced to talk more footy.

As for Matty Johns - I don't know how many of you guys listen to the Grill Team - but for the most part the show is bloody hilarious, Johns in particular. You know why? Because he has two other guys to feed off in MG and Gus. Johns by himself is no good - he needs an ensemble. He was great on the Footy Show as a side show act, but was ordinary as the central man on 7. He lacks the maturity to do the serious stuff when it is required.

Gibbo

Juniors
Personally I quite like the Game Plan on One HD, gives you all the team lists etc and some light hearted stuff. Plus it's only an hour long so no dragging things out.

Haffa

More footy content would help, but they'd need to inject some different people into the discussions we all know what Vautin, Fittler etc are going to say 90% of the time.

gUt

Coach
The Fat man is funny in very small doses but more than a few minutes once a month he is just boorish. Same with Beau knows, one or two sketches have been very funny but trying to make one every week is beyond his and the writers skill.

I agree with this, case in point was the Fui Fui send ups done by that red headed bloke. His acting was very good, but after the first couple of weeks they should have let a good thing go and maybe brought him back for the occasional cameo. But no, they had to flog the shit out of it every week until it was just annoying.

The AFL Footy Show seems to have a vibe that the NRL version doesn't. The audience seems hyped, the hosts have a genuine rapport. While not particularly funny at least their skits aren't painful. The guest players seem to know what to expect and go out there to get in on the act, not sit there clammed up like most NRL guest players do.

no name

Coach
It buggers me why tfs insist on a 90+ minute schedule.
Ratings are through the floor, one would think shorten it up, get rid of some of the rubbish segments (Fui Shackleton) and you could at least hold ratings.

Last edited:

otori

Juniors

This. I love how the players sometimes get bagged out on their footy show.

The NRL FootyShow is a wank and I hate how when the players come out they all have a massive reach around about how good they're going no matter if their team is first or last.

/rant

RUBIKS

Juniors
I don't particularly care about either.... Just make sure Sterlo is in there.

The Sunday Footy Show is pretty good.

As for comedy, I don't understand why they need to inject it? Just have naturally funny guys saying what pops into their head during football interviews/segments etc.
Have footy players tell funny anecdotes, word on the street stuff and have players come in and try stupid football things for gags. A few years ago they had that "science" thing, with the wet & soapy footies, Slater and Ennis trying catch and pass, do more of that stuff.

For the record, the only time Fatty is funny is when he stuffs up on live TV and can't bring it back. Problem there is I think they realise this and ham it up/milk it these days.

In saying all that though, I haven't watched the Thursday Footy show for about 2 and a bit years, might make my opinion invalid.

cleary89

Coach
This. I love how the players sometimes get bagged out on their footy show.

The NRL FootyShow is a wank and I hate how when the players come out they all have a massive reach around about how good they're going no matter if their team is first or last.

/rant

Agree, Sam will come out and say it if the player has had a shocker on the weekend, with some highlights of said shocker (more fumbling then usual). Then gives it to the player deluxe, who laughs it off or comes back with some shit about how old or botoxed up sam is.

Not like ours "x is a superstar" constantly.

Also agree with the guy about the grill team. Hate the music they play, never listened to MMM. But even listen to the grill team at work now thats how good it is. Love matty with his old mans stories.

cleary89

Coach
Sterlo, Matty, a couple of journalists.

Regular guests could include - freddy, gus, blocker, voss (tool, but at least he can talk footy), even MG. Plus your regular footy players who can actually speak well. None of this bring 2 players in from the sharks (or anyone) - gotta give 110%, full credit to the boys, game of 2 halves shit.

Poeple that can hold conversations. Surely theres more than 1 at each club. DCE goes well.

Ozzy

First Grade
Got sick of the Thursday show a few years back. Johns won't bring me back. I'll stick to the Sunday show.

Latest posts