What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Matty v Big Fat

nrlnrl

First Grade
I agree with this, case in point was the Fui Fui send ups done by that red headed bloke. His acting was very good, but after the first couple of weeks they should have let a good thing go and maybe brought him back for the occasional cameo. But no, they had to flog the shit out of it every week until it was just annoying.

The AFL Footy Show seems to have a vibe that the NRL version doesn't. The audience seems hyped, the hosts have a genuine rapport. While not particularly funny at least their skits aren't painful. The guest players seem to know what to expect and go out there to get in on the act, not sit there clammed up like most NRL guest players do.

I agree with you totally. It's the ch9 mentality of getting blood from a stone ( like Hey Hey It's Saturday or Australia's Funniest Home Videos ).

When they're on the panel, most of the NRL players seem to be cardboard cutouts or wanna be comedians. ( with juvenile content that's embarrassing ) They are poorly trained in media skills & it reflects in these appearances.

legend

Coach
Johns is better suited to radio. I hate seeing the chimp on tv with that stupid smile.

bartman

Immortal
Matt Johns knocking back $500,000? It's more than he's worth... a fading ex-comedian who could hardly be considered a role model for the game. Good luck with obscurity Matty...

legend

Coach
He still has his radio show, but that's where he should stay. A lot easier to sound funny without having to look at the bastard!

Personally, I think he's a massive tool!

Mr Saab

Referee
So Johns thinks the footy show needs to be re invented? Anyone told him he needs to be re invented? Sucking up to his boys every episode of the footyshow was just sickening. He was soft on the show and never ever criticised anyone or anything and wanted to be everyones friend.
At lest with MG he calls it how it is...sure sometimes he makes gaffes, but he puts it out there and is not a fence sitter.
Johns - stick to radio where i dont have to listen to you or see you.

For me at least there is pretty much nothing that Nein can do that will get me to watch the footy show. When I want to laugh I watch Seinfeld, when I want footy news I watch NRL on fox which is usually Benji free!!

I love the Fat, whoever said they were alone on this is wrong

I love Matty as well, they need both of them but it won't happen we all know this

So the lineup should be, Fat, Fit, Marn, Sterlo, a mixture of fun and serious

My favourite of all time panel was Fat, Sterlo, Johns and the Chief, I cannot see TFS matching this again, those were the days

Ozzy

First Grade
I love the Fat, whoever said they were alone on this is wrong

I love Matty as well, they need both of them but it won't happen we all know this

So the lineup should be, Fat, Fit, Marn, Sterlo, a mixture of fun and serious

My favourite of all time panel was Fat, Sterlo, Johns and the Chief, I cannot see TFS matching this again, those were the days
The Chief? Not funny and very wooden.

Hench

Juniors
If only we had some sort of example of Matt Johns having creative control over a show and then we could compare it to the Footy Show.

Wait a minute, there was that show called the Matt Johns show and it was an absolute pile of shit where he talked up the Knights and Storm and didn't say one positive word about the QLD teams all season. The guy literally picked against the Broncos every week when he was on TFS. His own show was so shit his deadbeat druggie scumbag brother who has been fired from 10 clubs as a skills coach didn't even want to be on it.

The last two days have just shown how highly Johns rates himself. Clearly delusional and possibly on drugs like his brother.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Feel sorry for both parties here, what's being reported as Matty hating Fatty is in fact a load of shit. Comments by Singo have made it look that way.

As for the show, no doubt it needs a refresh, but people do enjoy it, even if it's dwindling in numbers these days. They don't pretend to be anything else than a B-grade variety show with a bit of footy talk, and that's all they are.

Timmah

Staff member
If only we had some sort of example of Matt Johns having creative control over a show and then we could compare it to the Footy Show.

Wait a minute, there was that show called the Matt Johns show and it was an absolute pile of shit where he talked up the Knights and Storm and didn't say one positive word about the QLD teams all season. The guy literally picked against the Broncos every week when he was on TFS. His own show was so shit his deadbeat druggie scumbag brother who has been fired from 10 clubs as a skills coach didn't even want to be on it.

The last two days have just shown how highly Johns rates himself. Clearly delusional and possibly on drugs like his brother.
Another anti-Johns QLD chip on the shoulder.

For what it's worth, his brother couldn't go on the show. Contracts with other networks are generally in need of being honoured...

franklin2323

Immortal
For me at least there is pretty much nothing that Nein can do that will get me to watch the footy show. When I want to laugh I watch Seinfeld, when I want footy news I watch NRL on fox which is usually Benji free!!

Exactly. I don't miss a Sunday footy show/roast but can't stand the Thurs night crap. The Roast seems to be a good mix of humour & footy talk. Johns is right it needs a journalist host & go the informative angle

El Diablo

Post Whore
Talked about it on the grill team.

Matty basically said that he felt the show being "reinvented" wasn't enough. Needed new people, a new name and possibly even a new time slot. Kept stressing nothing against fatty, but that if he took it it would feel like he was going back in his career.

Gus said what about the money? And he was like "once or twice in my career i have done stuff for the money, and i've learnt if you can't learn from your mistakes your a mug. what would you guys think if i went back and was doing the same thing I was doing 5,6,7,8 years ago? I was there for the money".

Said he learnt alot from his show, in hindsight needed more football content, controversy corner was everyones favourite part so needed more of that. He wouldn't host it again, needed more journalist panelists, someone like ben fordham (?) to host and have more footy content.

Ray Hadley called in and said fattys been on the air for 18 years, the melbourne footy show has gone from strength to strength and seen people like eddie leave.

In all honesty, I use to make sure I watched it every thursday night, last year I probably watched 1/3 of them. The ratings reflect this. It needs to be reinvented.

they have a vid of it here http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sh...to-channel-nine-footy-show/20120118-fdbs.html

Valheru

Coach
Singo is clearly a moron.

All Matt Johns said was that he wants more creative control and for the show to be different. Singleton then goes on a tirade about how fatty is a crap footballer and TV personality.

Hench

Juniors
Another anti-Johns QLD chip on the shoulder.

For what it's worth, his brother couldn't go on the show. Contracts with other networks are generally in need of being honoured...

So only QLDers think he's a dead shit?

Timmah

Staff member
Only QLDers seem to be that vehemently opposed to his existence.

Permanent shoulder chip from where I'm sitting.

grouch

First Grade
I think Matty just needs to RELAX

Relax, it's the Roosters to win

013671-matty-johns-controversy-corner.jpg

Controversy corner ... Matty Johns Show table discussion of NRL experts for Daily Telegraph TV. (L-R) Steve Roach, Eric Growth, Matty Johns, Paul Kent and Jason Stevens Picture. Stephen Cooper Source: The Daily Telegraph

MATTHEW JOHNS: Welcome everyone to a Daily Telegraph edition of Controversy Corner. We've got an esteemed panel here, we've got Jason Stevens, Paul Kent, Eric Grothe Jr and Steve "Blocker" Roach. I suppose the first thing, going into a grand final, Dragons v Roosters, is who looks the best?

Kent: The Roosters look the best by far. They're the most relaxed team we've seen for a while, grand final-wise, surprisingly because I didn't think the Roosters could do it.
Blocker: Is that because of they're out of sight, out of mind, the Dragons? We haven't seen that much of them during the week, just hiding down there in Wollongong. We've seen a lot of the Roosters sipping cappuccinos and carrying on. They are the best-looking side aren't they?
Guru: I reckon it's confidence, that's why they're going good. They're so confident they can just be in the public eye and not give a damn.
Blocker: You always look at body language after a game of football. The Roosters were yahooing straight after they beat the Titans convincingly.

Stevo: It was more a sigh of relief for the Dragons when they won. It looked like a nervous sort of win.
Matty: Brian Smith doesn't usually carry players like this, but they've got a few rascals in their side. People like Pearce and Carney, who have a high threshold for emotion. For me, emotionally the Roosters are higher than the Dragons at the moment.
Kent: They're in better shape to handle it. The Dragons, despite winning on the weekend, haven't thrown off the choker tag everybody labels them with and they didn't play like they wanted to get rid of it, either.
Matty: No, they played nervous.
Blocker: I think the speed of the game means that attacking teams can put points on in grand finals. The speed of the game and the size and number of the Dragons forward pack [means] there'll be a lot of guys lying in and around the play-the-ball and I think the Roosters can dominate that.
Guru: Six from six grand-final wins for Wayne Bennett has got to be mentioned. You've got to think this guy knows what he's doing, so that's a bit scary for the Roosters.
Matty: Have you ever seen Brian Smith so relaxed and confident?
Stevo: Guru, you had him as a coach a lot more recently than I had him.
Guru: He was pretty relaxed back then as well, but this is another level. He just seems so calm, relaxed and happy to roll with it. I remember he used to pull people up for going too crazy getting into a grand final. Now he's letting them get into it.
Blocker: The more free and easy Smith is, you'll see the players being more relaxed.
Matty: He's given a lot of the ownership of the side to the Pearces, Carneys and Anastas.
Blocker: The Roosters have had to go through a fair bit of pain to get to there. When Carney came into the side, Minichiello wasn't 100 per cent, they played Carney at fullback and the man [who] suffered was Anasta, who moved to lock. The rest is history.
Guru: That's the sign of a good team. They're just happy to roll with whatever confronts them. They're just doing what's working.
Matty: It's a big week for Jason Ryles. When he left the Dragons, he was the whipping boy on the hill at Kogarah and he's come out and said as much.
Stevo: It would be sweet for him. He's copped so much flak. He's come back from France and resurrected his career.
Blocker: I think his form is just as good if not better than when he was playing for the Kangaroos.
Kent: He gets a chance this week to give the Dragons fans their receipt.
Matty: There's no doubt there is going to be a lot of pressure on Jamie Soward. What pair of halves would you prefer to play behind, Stevo?
Stevo: Defensively, I'd be worried about Pearce particularly. As a front-rower, dealing with the fatigue of a grand final, I'd be more worried about what they can do.
Kent: In a way I think Soward is the key. If he steps up the Dragons are capable of kicking away. If he plays like he has the past few weeks, I don't believe they can get the points.
Blocker: He's done enough, but not what he should be doing. I don't believe you can just bang on a game in the grand final, you've got to have a bit of form leading into it.
Matty: The field goal might give him confidence. That's what got them through and he struck it beautifully. The advantage that Pearce and Carney have is they hound the lines relentlessly, and Anasta too.
Stevo: He's in his career-best form.
Matty: I reckon they'll attack Weyman big time. He's got that groin injury, his lateral movement, there's going to be a lot of questions there. I think Pearce and Carney will run riot. What will Brian Smith say to his Roosters before they go out there?
Guru: His eyes are so intense. He's good for a pre-game speech too. A bit of gladiator talk and you feel like you're 10-feet tall. I'm sure he'll bring out his best this week. If I had to go one way I'd go the Roosters.
Blocker: Bennett's strange in that the less is said, the more motivation he's giving you. The only other bloke I've seen do that is Jack Gibson.
Matty: On the other hand Wayne looked very nervous the other night. He looked probably more nervous than I've seen him before.
Stevo: And he had a right to be nervous. They dropped balls, their kicking game was off. It just didn't seem like they were hitting that line.
Blocker: It's amazing the way things change in semi-final football. The Roosters were 30 seconds away from getting kicked out and now they're in a grand final.
Matty: Dragons fans will probably read this and say hold up boys. But if you talk to rugby league people, 90 per cent are picking the Roosters. We might be underestimating the Dragons' defence.
Guru: They mightn't be interesting to watch but that's the thing. Teams that usually go all right in finals are the teams can grind a win.
Matty: All right, pick a winner and a Clive Churchill medallist.
Blocker: I think the Roosters will win by nine and the Clive Churchill medallist will be Mitchell Pearce.
Guru: I think the Roosters.
Matty: I think the Roosters in a really tight one, probably two to four points. I think Mitch Pearce will win it.
Kent: Roosters and Anasta.
Stevo: Roosters and Todd Carney.
Matty: Well there you go people. The five of us have gone for the Roosters so the Dragons are certainties.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-roosters-to-win/story-e6frexnr-1225932010635

Hutty1986

Immortal
I think Matty just needs to RELAX

Relax, it's the Roosters to win

013671-matty-johns-controversy-corner.jpg

Controversy corner ... Matty Johns Show table discussion of NRL experts for Daily Telegraph TV. (L-R) Steve Roach, Eric Growth, Matty Johns, Paul Kent and Jason Stevens Picture. Stephen Cooper Source: The Daily Telegraph

MATTHEW JOHNS: Welcome everyone to a Daily Telegraph edition of Controversy Corner. We've got an esteemed panel here, we've got Jason Stevens, Paul Kent, Eric Grothe Jr and Steve "Blocker" Roach. I suppose the first thing, going into a grand final, Dragons v Roosters, is who looks the best?

Kent: The Roosters look the best by far. They're the most relaxed team we've seen for a while, grand final-wise, surprisingly because I didn't think the Roosters could do it.
Blocker: Is that because of they're out of sight, out of mind, the Dragons? We haven't seen that much of them during the week, just hiding down there in Wollongong. We've seen a lot of the Roosters sipping cappuccinos and carrying on. They are the best-looking side aren't they?
Guru: I reckon it's confidence, that's why they're going good. They're so confident they can just be in the public eye and not give a damn.
Blocker: You always look at body language after a game of football. The Roosters were yahooing straight after they beat the Titans convincingly.

Stevo: It was more a sigh of relief for the Dragons when they won. It looked like a nervous sort of win.
Matty: Brian Smith doesn't usually carry players like this, but they've got a few rascals in their side. People like Pearce and Carney, who have a high threshold for emotion. For me, emotionally the Roosters are higher than the Dragons at the moment.
Kent: They're in better shape to handle it. The Dragons, despite winning on the weekend, haven't thrown off the choker tag everybody labels them with and they didn't play like they wanted to get rid of it, either.
Matty: No, they played nervous.
Blocker: I think the speed of the game means that attacking teams can put points on in grand finals. The speed of the game and the size and number of the Dragons forward pack [means] there'll be a lot of guys lying in and around the play-the-ball and I think the Roosters can dominate that.
Guru: Six from six grand-final wins for Wayne Bennett has got to be mentioned. You've got to think this guy knows what he's doing, so that's a bit scary for the Roosters.
Matty: Have you ever seen Brian Smith so relaxed and confident?
Stevo: Guru, you had him as a coach a lot more recently than I had him.
Guru: He was pretty relaxed back then as well, but this is another level. He just seems so calm, relaxed and happy to roll with it. I remember he used to pull people up for going too crazy getting into a grand final. Now he's letting them get into it.
Blocker: The more free and easy Smith is, you'll see the players being more relaxed.
Matty: He's given a lot of the ownership of the side to the Pearces, Carneys and Anastas.
Blocker: The Roosters have had to go through a fair bit of pain to get to there. When Carney came into the side, Minichiello wasn't 100 per cent, they played Carney at fullback and the man [who] suffered was Anasta, who moved to lock. The rest is history.
Guru: That's the sign of a good team. They're just happy to roll with whatever confronts them. They're just doing what's working.
Matty: It's a big week for Jason Ryles. When he left the Dragons, he was the whipping boy on the hill at Kogarah and he's come out and said as much.
Stevo: It would be sweet for him. He's copped so much flak. He's come back from France and resurrected his career.
Blocker: I think his form is just as good if not better than when he was playing for the Kangaroos.
Kent: He gets a chance this week to give the Dragons fans their receipt.
Matty: There's no doubt there is going to be a lot of pressure on Jamie Soward. What pair of halves would you prefer to play behind, Stevo?
Stevo: Defensively, I'd be worried about Pearce particularly. As a front-rower, dealing with the fatigue of a grand final, I'd be more worried about what they can do.
Kent: In a way I think Soward is the key. If he steps up the Dragons are capable of kicking away. If he plays like he has the past few weeks, I don't believe they can get the points.
Blocker: He's done enough, but not what he should be doing. I don't believe you can just bang on a game in the grand final, you've got to have a bit of form leading into it.
Matty: The field goal might give him confidence. That's what got them through and he struck it beautifully. The advantage that Pearce and Carney have is they hound the lines relentlessly, and Anasta too.
Stevo: He's in his career-best form.
Matty: I reckon they'll attack Weyman big time. He's got that groin injury, his lateral movement, there's going to be a lot of questions there. I think Pearce and Carney will run riot. What will Brian Smith say to his Roosters before they go out there?
Guru: His eyes are so intense. He's good for a pre-game speech too. A bit of gladiator talk and you feel like you're 10-feet tall. I'm sure he'll bring out his best this week. If I had to go one way I'd go the Roosters.
Blocker: Bennett's strange in that the less is said, the more motivation he's giving you. The only other bloke I've seen do that is Jack Gibson.
Matty: On the other hand Wayne looked very nervous the other night. He looked probably more nervous than I've seen him before.
Stevo: And he had a right to be nervous. They dropped balls, their kicking game was off. It just didn't seem like they were hitting that line.
Blocker: It's amazing the way things change in semi-final football. The Roosters were 30 seconds away from getting kicked out and now they're in a grand final.
Matty: Dragons fans will probably read this and say hold up boys. But if you talk to rugby league people, 90 per cent are picking the Roosters. We might be underestimating the Dragons' defence.
Guru: They mightn't be interesting to watch but that's the thing. Teams that usually go all right in finals are the teams can grind a win.
Matty: All right, pick a winner and a Clive Churchill medallist.
Blocker: I think the Roosters will win by nine and the Clive Churchill medallist will be Mitchell Pearce.
Guru: I think the Roosters.
Matty: I think the Roosters in a really tight one, probably two to four points. I think Mitch Pearce will win it.
Kent: Roosters and Anasta.
Stevo: Roosters and Todd Carney.
Matty: Well there you go people. The five of us have gone for the Roosters so the Dragons are certainties.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-roosters-to-win/story-e6frexnr-1225932010635

:lol::lol: Priceless

docbrown

Coach
This is old news, I thought all this was common knowledge.

Sure Johns might think Vautin is stale but the really reason is that he resents him for failing to back him when he was given the boot.

Johns' 7 show only got canned because the AFL counterpart failed. He was offered a chance to push it back to 10:30pm but rejected it. It's the same reason why Sunday Night Football won't happen any time soon (unless a network can show both codes at the same time).

The Footy Show does need a revamp. New writers and new hosts. Controversy Corner is actually a pretty decent format with a rotating panel.

Latest posts