What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big news from Barcelona

Big-Hitter

Juniors
If you want to hear something more tangible (and less pie in the sky) about rugby league activity in Barcelona, watch this space...... (fingers crossed!!!!)

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Pics of the dragons in Barcelona

http://www.rugbyforumxiii.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20726

cimg2254_290.jpg

cimg2255_125.jpg

cimg2256_247.jpg

cimg2257_106.jpg

cimg2258_204.jpg

Sam_the_man

First Grade
as all of you know i love league and believe we need to expand our game immediately.....but i find i must ask this question. Whats in it for Barcelona FC to get involved in the Super League?

Ari Gold

Bench
Sam_the_man said:
as all of you know i love league and believe we need to expand our game immediately.....but i find i must ask this question. Whats in it for Barcelona FC to get involved in the Super League?

Cost of running a SL club = 1/5th Ronaldhino's salary (approx)

Therefore they are expanding their product into France and England through a different channel at a low cost.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
robyalvaro said:
Cost of running a SL club = 1/5th Ronaldhino's salary (approx)

Therefore they are expanding their product into France and England through a different channel at a low cost.

Even if it is 1/5 the bloke's pay, it is still a substantial amount of money that must come from somewhere.

For just $35 a month, about 1/100 of our salaries, we could sponsor a child in Africa etc... but not many do.

ali

Bench
It would be great if Barcelona got involved in RL. But i would start them off in Elite 1 with the aim of Super League in 2012. In fact i would like to see Treviso and any other west Euro teams also go through Elite 1. It would breathe life into the French League, and by 2012 i would be looking to reintroduce promotion and relegation to Super League. I'd like to see a playoff from the winner of Elite 1 and the winner of NL1 to see who goes up.

Assuming Toulouse gets in for 2009, I reckon there will be more interested French teams in the very near future. So why not give them a realistic avenue to get in.

By the way, having barca playing rugby league at a good level is a great way to get interest in the game in South America. Barca, could be a possible home for Argentinian Union player. FC barca would be the most popular European football club in South America by a mile.

Secondly, if barca got to Super League or at least became a strong Elite 1 club, I would love to see Catalans vs Barca as an annual fixture of Catalan national day, which incidentally is next Tuesday i think.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
One wonders if Barca were to get serious about this and decided they needed stars for there team weather they would go after Argentine union players?

ali

Bench
Just got back from a weekend in Barcelona, great city. Anyway, I was watching a Catalan TV station showing mostly music in the apartment, which fairly regularly showed commercials promoting the Catalan region. I was pleased to notice there were numerous shots of Les Catalans games thrown into these ads.