What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big news from Barcelona

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
...and here it is.

Barca FC interested in a super league licence here

Mixed feelings by french supporters of the Dragons, who fear their team may be taken over and play every second game in Barcelona here

bartman

Immortal
From a story in News Of The World apparently - not the most trustworthy of chip wrappers by any means?

Interesting concept to consider though... but I'm not sure it's within 5-10 years of reality.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
bartman said:
From a story in News Of The World apparently - not the most trustworthy of chip wrappers by any means?

Interesting concept to consider though... but I'm not sure it's within 5-10 years of reality.

If the story is genuine they could launch in a year without any worries. The FC Barcelona brand has launched several sporting operations and has the backing to continue to do so. From memory I think they have or have had football, handball, rugby union, basketball, american football and hockey sides.

The only problem is that I've never heard of anyone in Spain playing Rugby League. France is always a realistic option for a franchise into Super League as they have the game at grassroots level, juniors and established amateur and semi-pro setups.

What with FC Barclona, Wellington Orcas, Toulouse Super League should be a colourful place pretty soon!:lol:

Big-Hitter

Juniors
Can't see this happening. But Leeds Akkies RLFC are off there on tour in October, so at least that's something.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
http://www.smh.com.au/news/football/move-over-ronaldinho-theres-a-new-game-in-town-league/2007/08/29/1188067189820.html

Move over Ronaldinho, there's a new game in town: League

Alex Brown in London
August 30, 2007

BARCELONA officials are preparing for a hectic few days. For one, they're dealing with Chelsea's aggressive bid to poach their marquee player, Ronaldinho, before the transfer deadline closes on Friday.

And for another, they're co-ordinating the arrival of Stacey Jones, Jason Croker, Clint Greenshields, Adam Mogg and company before their presentation to the Nou Camp crowd before Sunday's La Liga match against Athletic Bilbao.

As astonishing as it may seem, rugby league - and, more specifically, the Catalans Dragons' progression to the Challenge Cup final last weekend - has been a major talking point in Barcelona in recent days, and Barca officials have taken notice.

The capital of the Catalonia region, Barcelona has previously received little in the way of rugby league exposure, but the successes of the Dragons, based in the southern French city of Perpignan, appear to have captured the imagination of the Spaniards, not least because the final against St Helens was televised live around Barcelona.

Following a week of media interviews and meetings between the clubs' management teams, Barcelona football officials have agreed with the Catalans Dragons for the players and Mick Potter's coaching staff to attend Sunday's match at Nou Camp and be presented before the crowd which, if at capacity, will number about 99,000.

"I have only driven past that stadium before, and it is absolutely incredible," Potter said of the invitation. "We're only 30 minutes from the Spanish border, and a comfortable drive to Barcelona, so there are very strong ties in the region. It is absolutely enormous, and, if all this is to go through, it would be something that the players and I will never, ever forget."

If all goes to plan, the parading of the Dragons players on Sunday at the largest stadium in Europe will be the first step in establishing a foothold for rugby league in Barcelona.

Barca football officials, according to a report in The Guardian newspaper in London, are considering applying for a Super League licence, with an eye to fielding their own rugby league team in the future.

If that does not go ahead, the Dragons are seeking permission to stage at least one match next season in the Spanish city, hopeful of capitalising on their success and novelty value among the local population.

"If the Barcelona were to apply for a licence, it would be much like the clubs in England that field a league and a union side," Potter said. "But that's a long way off. Right now, I am just happy that the work of the players and the coaching staff is being acknowledged.

The media interest has been five times that of what we normally receive in France and Spain, and we've had TV crews following us all around the place.

"It has been a real fight for credibility and profile with a team that has been undermanned and under-resourced for the most part. So it's very satisfying for all of us that this is happening. Imagine if the game took off in Barcelona - it would be incredible."

bartman

Immortal
Well the Guardian is a much better source than NOTW... great that the game was televised in Barcelona, and that Catalans get to be paraded at the largest stadium in Europe!

roughyedspud

Coach
i see 2 ways for barcalona to get involved in rugby league

1. they buy into catalan dragons

or

2. they start a team in the french elite league with a view to a 2012 franchise..

nadera78

Juniors
FC Barcelona is a wonderful sporting institution and I am a big fan of their ethos, but there is no way richard lews would allow a group wioth no bckground in RL to tak up a franchise in 2009. There are too many clubs already fighting it out for a spot in the comp.

It's far more likely to be that Les Catalans take a game down to Barca, and if it's successful then perhaps one or two games per season. Also, Barca have two stadia, Camp Nou (98,000 capacity) and Miniestadi (16,500 capacity) so there are options there depending on how confident they feel.

langpark

First Grade
roughyedspud said:
i see 2 ways for barcalona to get involved in rugby league

1. they buy into catalan dragons

or

2. they start a team in the french elite league with a view to a 2012 franchise..
I was thinking NL2 as a starting point, but French Elite is an even better idea, i shoulda thought of that. If Barca FC are genuinely interested in starting a League team, then i think that's awesome, but i can't help but think this is just a flavour of the month thing that they'll have forgotten about in a few weeks. I guess Spanish Catalonians' interest in League could partly be gauged based on how well the Catalans players are recieved at the Nou Camp.

langpark

First Grade
nadera78 said:
FC Barcelona is a wonderful sporting institution and I am a big fan of their ethos, but there is no way richard lews would allow a group wioth no bckground in RL to tak up a franchise in 2009. There are too many clubs already fighting it out for a spot in the comp.

It's far more likely to be that Les Catalans take a game down to Barca, and if it's successful then perhaps one or two games per season. Also, Barca have two stadia, Camp Nou (98,000 capacity) and Miniestadi (16,500 capacity) so there are options there depending on how confident they feel.
Surely they'd go with the 16k ground.

I disagree, i think if sporting giants Barcelona FC came knocking on Richard Lewis' door then there's no way he'd reject them. Especially if they had a decent business plan in place and a few RL administrators on board.

T to the T

Juniors
langpark said:
if they had a decent business plan in place

That's a given!

The thing is there is no RL in Spanish Catalonia I can think of, maybe a couple but it is virgin territory. However, this is where the question of the Chicken and the Egg comes in:

Should there be a vibrant base to start off with for a SL team be viable

Or

Should a SL team be plonked in a City with no history but tremendous potential an no real Union competition to speak of

NFL took the 2nd option and was successful in Germany with it. However the NFL does have that kind of money to gamble with, $30 million a year to prop up the League. Will the RFL be willing to take this risk though? Bare in mind it can be years for a base to build up on its own

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
T to the T said:
NFL took the 2nd option and was successful in Germany with it. However the NFL does have that kind of money to gamble with, $30 million a year to prop up the League. Will the RFL be willing to take this risk though? Bare in mind it can be years for a base to build up on its own

I thought the NFL Europe collapsed?

You are right though, it's gotta be taken as a 10 year investment at the least to start a top level league team in virgin territory. I hate talking about league in this light, but there is certainly a market there as the country is way too soccer top heavy in my opinion.

langpark

First Grade
The fact that it'd cost Barca a few months of Ronaldinho's wage to run an entire League team could be appealing to them, and there is some money to be made if they can get bums on seats. I'm sure plenty of pommy supporters would make the trip over.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
I would never usually agree with plonking a team in virgin territory.

I would give an exception with this, as long as Barcelona put forward a guarantee for a long term plan to develop the game in their part of spain at the least, if not all of spain.

They would have the ground obviously, they would get the support if they marketed it (I have no doubts they wouldn't. I believe they are more akin to being a general spanish catalan sporting organisation for all sports, with soccer obviously being their biggest.. rather than just a soccer enterprise.)

They do have multi-sport acadamies IIRC, and do they even have their own sports channel?

Man U I believe does, and I know a handful of other Euro clubs do, but can't recall if its Barca.

So other than their own players, they'd have everything. With the commitment, they obviously have the infrastructure for their own players in 20 years.

An organisation the size of Barca, it would be a gamble I'd be willing to take with enough guarantees.

roopy

Referee
I think we are overlooking the obvious - there is already a side that represents the Catalans people, and Barcelona is the capitol of the catalans people.
The obvious solution is that Les Catalans move and their french fans have to travel a bit to a ground and set up that would be the pride of RL.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Like Sydney is the capital of NSW, and we should move the Knights to play out of the SFS and the Newcastle fans have to travel a bit ?

roopy

Referee
Kurt Angle said:
Like Sydney is the capital of NSW, and we should move the Knights to play out of the SFS and the Newcastle fans have to travel a bit ?
Like i live 40 miles from Newcastle and am a Newcastle fan who travels a bit - and like many Newcastle fans live up to 70 or 80 miles from Newcastle and still live in the Knights area.
I'm sure many catalans soccer supporters already travel from southern france to barcelona for 'home' games.

Latest posts