What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big news from Barcelona

langpark

First Grade
roopy said:
I think we are overlooking the obvious - there is already a side that represents the Catalans people, and Barcelona is the capitol of the catalans people.
The obvious solution is that Les Catalans move and their french fans have to travel a bit to a ground and set up that would be the pride of RL.
I disagree, it's like saying a team from Cape York represent all of Qld if they're called Qld Broncos, or watever.

Les Catalans are in the northern tip of the region and in a completely different country. Barca represents so many more catalonians as well.

Why not have Les Catalans in Perpignan, and El Catalans in Barca? Man Utd and city share a name, why can't these two? It'd be a great rivalry too.

But anyway, we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves, Toulouse should be next in SL. And lets see if Barca are still keen this time next year (or next week even!)

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
roopy said:
Like i live 40 miles from Newcastle and am a Newcastle fan who travels a bit - and like many Newcastle fans live up to 70 or 80 miles from Newcastle and still live in the Knights area.
I'm sure many catalans soccer supporters already travel from southern france to barcelona for 'home' games.

191km from Perpinya to Barcelona, approximately 120 AU tolls and petrol return trip PLUS strict border controls for smuggling cheap booze and ciggies back into France.

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamiche...strDestMerged=Barcelona&image2.x=0&image2.y=0

nadera78

Juniors
roopy said:
I think we are overlooking the obvious - there is already a side that represents the Catalans people, and Barcelona is the capitol of the catalans people.
The obvious solution is that Les Catalans move and their french fans have to travel a bit to a ground and set up that would be the pride of RL.

Yes, because after decades of getting shat on by union tossers we finally seem to be getting somewhere in southern France. So the obvious thing to do is take the team away from them and dump it in a place that has never had a team of any standard, and has no idea what RL actually is.

Genius! Why it seems like the sort of plan that only the ARL/RLIF could come up with. You're not Geoff Carr by any chance are you?

ozzy_ozman

Juniors
FC Barca is like the richest club in the world and they will have no problems by putting a team in the Super League and i cant them turning it down

roopy

Referee
nadera78 said:
Yes, because after decades of getting shat on by union tossers we finally seem to be getting somewhere in southern France. So the obvious thing to do is take the team away from them and dump it in a place that has never had a team of any standard, and has no idea what RL actually is.

Genius! Why it seems like the sort of plan that only the ARL/RLIF could come up with. You're not Geoff Carr by any chance are you?
If they were prepared to chuck a decent amount of their billions into the deal i'd do it in a minute.
More money, more fans, a better ground (the best in ESL) exposure in a new country and mainstream media - if they were serious i couldn't do it fast enough.

deluded pom?

Coach
roopy said:
if they were serious

And thereby hangs a tale. I'll believe it when they run out at the start of the season. Aren't Barcelona one of the most insolvent football teams in the world? Aren't they millions in debt? Just had a look at a couple of articles. As of 2003 they were £100m in debt. Not sure what the state of play is now though.

aarondoyle

Juniors
If they were serious, and willing to pay ALL their expenses, they could always have a 15 team comp. Would make no difference to the other teams really. Just a flight to Spain.

Of course where'd they'd get this $ I have no idea.

nadera78

Juniors
roopy said:
If they were prepared to chuck a decent amount of their billions into the deal i'd do it in a minute.
More money, more fans, a better ground (the best in ESL) exposure in a new country and mainstream media - if they were serious i couldn't do it fast enough.

And where would that leave the game in France? You'd willingly sacrifice our only toe-hold, and realisticaly our last chance to succeed, in France for a pipe-dream in a country that has never had a single RL team, let alone a track record in the game?

FFS!

langpark

First Grade
There needs to be a Spanish RL body set up, but there doesn't seem to be any movement there at all. It might have to be done by some expat englishmen.

The more I think about it, the less likely I think it is. Here's what you'd have to do:
2008: Set up comps from U12-Opens, preferably 4 teams at each level. That itself seems a near impossible task. Then in the following years work on developing these players, then in 2015 or so, they might get accepted into the French Elite, then years later possibly SL.

But then again, with millions of dollars in backing they could easily sign up heaps of aussies and local union talent, that's a quick fix tho. If Barca are only interested in having a SL team and nothing underneath it, no grassroots foundation, then i'd rather it not even happen.

bender

Juniors
langpark said:
But then again, with millions of dollars in backing they could easily sign up heaps of aussies and local union talent, that's a quick fix tho. If Barca are only interested in having a SL team and nothing underneath it, no grassroots foundation, then i'd rather it not even happen.

They could sign the entire Spanish Union team and they wouldnt cut it at French league level, let alone getting within 50 points of a super league level team. An All Aussie (or French, British and Kiwi) side could be competive with enough money. But, it will be a a minimum of 10 years before any Spanish youngsters will make the grade and even then, it would be unlikely that any more than 1 or 2 would filter through unless GP players are located. Still, an all aussie side based in Barcelona, would add to the international flavour of the ESL and would also improve the overall Standard of the ESL. It would never last (i dont think), but then again what would it hurt? Did Paris St Germain really do any harm to the game in Paris?

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I don't think the Barcelonians would fall for an all aussie side, I reckon they would even look dubiously over the current Catalans side with respect to foreigners.

Would you go for a Sydney NFL/Basketball/Ice Hockey/Baseball team if it was 100% American and would be for ten years?

ozzy_ozman said:
mate im trying convert that into english... an you post it up in english?

here is a translation of that article:

Homage of the Nou Camp a homage of weight. Yesterday, the Catalan Dragons were presented at the public of the Nou Camp, right before the blow of sending of Barça-Bilbao. After Wembley, the dream continues
18. 48. Less twelve minutes before the first official exit of Barça this season to the Nou Camp. The 78 000 socios gradually take seat in the cave of Blaugrana. It is the hour of the most beautiful possible homage for the Catalan Dragons. Drago, the mascot at the head, followed of all the players "blood and gold" and of some leaders, the Catalan delegation presses the lawn. Not organ one day old inhabitant of Barcelona begun two hours earlier in the living rooms from the Palate of Generalitat. Each step is counted. Each enjoyed applause. An official photograph and some personal stereotypes immortalisent the symbol. After Wembley, the Dragons go on the Nou. Camp After sporting credibility finally of Cup, the Dragons gain the identity recognition of Barcelona. All that in one week! Time accelerated. At the sides of Cruyff Bernard Guasch enjoys: "It is enormous. When it is known from where one comes. To be recognized like that! It is splendid ". The president will live this match of the 2 E day of Liga, gained by Barça (3-1), in the cabin of Joan Laporta, the strong man of the places. He will offer a framed shirt of the Dragons to him and will measure the Wembley impact. "In the cabin and at the time of the reception of before-match, I included/understood the impact of the retransmission of the finale of Wembley. People knew who were the Dragons. They knew that a Catalan team had defended the colors blood and gold with Wembley. For us, it is a beautiful recognition. It can open doors at economic partners to us. With us to work. For the next season, we will organize a press conference in Barcelona and Paris ". Very close, Liberto Lopez, ankle working Catalan businesses of the club, is with the angels. It is inexhaustible and would not like to leave any more. It is time to go to dine. Direction the Icaria hotel, close to the Olympic Port. Sympathetic wink: it is the president of the Catalan Federation of Rugby with XV, Xavi Canal, which opens in person the way with the bus of the Dragons. With the fact, Bernard Guasch is really lucky devil: he followed the match to the sides of Johan Cruyff. Days ago like that... With The Camp Nou, Thierry Bouldoire

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
This may slide off the tongue a little better...

Hommage at Camp Nou

A powerful hommage took place yesterday when the Catalans Dragons were presented to the public at Camp Nou just before kick-off of Barça-Bilbao. After Wembley, the dream continues.

6:48pm - less than 12 minutes before the first offical match for Barça this season at Camp Nou. The 78,000 fans take are gradually taking their seats the in the den of the "Blaugranas". It is time for the most beautiful hommage possible for the Dragons. Drago, the club mascot up front, is followed by all of the players dressed in blood and gold, and also by a few of club's managers - the delegation Catalan takes the field. The climax of a "Barcerlonian day" started 2 hours earlier in the rooms of the General's Palace. Every step is counted, every applaud savoured. An official photo and some prints immortalise the symbol (of the dragons?). After Wembley, the Dragons take the field at Camp Nou. After their credible performance in the final of the CC, the Dragons are winning the recognition from Barcelona. All of this in one week!

Time moves on and by the side of Cruyff, Bernard Guasch gasps: "It's huge! When one knows where we came from, to be recognised like this! It's magnificent! The president will experience this second day game of the League, won by Barça 3-1, in the private box of Joan Laporta, a key figure in the club. He will offer him a framed Dragons jersey and measure the impact of the trip to Wembley.

"In the private box after the pre-game reception, I understood the impact of the retranssmission of the final (here in Catalonia). The people know who the Dragons are. They know that this is a Catalan team that defended the blood and gold at Wembley. For us, this is a beautiful recognition. It can open economic doors with our parteners - it's up to us to work together to acheive this. Next season, we will organise a press conference here in Barcelona and also in Paris."

Close by Liberto Lopez, Catalan business manager of the Dragons, is in heaven. He can't get enough of the moment and does not want to leave. It is time to wine and dine, in this case at the hotel Icaria, near the Olympic Port. A quick wink to the president of the Catalan federation of Rugby Union, Xavi Canal, who clears the path to the Dragons team bus. In fact, Bernard Guasch is truly a lucky devil: he followed the game beside Johan Cruyff. Then again, there are some days like that...

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
That came across better, thats miguel

Lets hope the team keeps getting better and when they do take a game to Barcelonia, they play at 100% and put on a great show.

Latest posts