What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest feel-good Grand Final?

typicalfan

Coach
1997 and 1995 were good because Manly are always the bad guys and to be upset is even better. I liked 2003 Luke Priddis playing the game of the decade to beat the Roosters who were coming home with a wet sail. 1989 winning the GF from 4th and the manner of the victory. 1991 With Royce Simmons big day out those Panthers no.9s can sure play a good grand final.

jono

Juniors
1997 is easily the best feelgood of all time.
And I'm a Parra supporter.
But , to travel down in a bus from Newcastle , to see the passion in the locals as we left , the guts of Andrew Johns, Paul Harragon , and Robbie O'Davis to come from behind . And the absolute spine-tingler of the last seconds Albert try. Felt the shive at the ground that day , and still do when I see a replay of it.
Never been a Knights fan , but very proud of their effort that day.

nqcowboy87

Bench
ill have to agree with shorty, 2005, not a fan of the result but the whole season was spectacular and ended with a spectacular gf

ashrafieh

Juniors
1997 is easily the best feelgood of all time.
And I'm a Parra supporter.
But , to travel down in a bus from Newcastle , to see the passion in the locals as we left , the guts of Andrew Johns, Paul Harragon , and Robbie O'Davis to come from behind . And the absolute spine-tingler of the last seconds Albert try. Felt the shive at the ground that day , and still do when I see a replay of it.
Never been a Knights fan , but very proud of their effort that day.

What happened to that passion? They're lucky to get a hundred or so supporters at most Sydney games these days (Besides semi final games)... Also there home crowds seem lower then the usual Newcastle standards. Serious question

Billythekid

First Grade
What happened to that passion? They're lucky to get a hundred or so supporters at most Sydney games these days (Besides semi final games)... Also there home crowds seem lower then the usual Newcastle standards. Serious question

I have this weird feeling that the crowds may go back up in 2011.

2008 easily. Menzies getting the send-off he deserved. Beaten by the Refs in 95, beaten by Drugs in 97, beaten by a dirty tackle in 07, finally got that 2nd premiership.

x2

His try still brings a tear to the eye. Plus it was over the dirty grappling Mexicans in the biggest GF win of all time. Couldn't have written it any better myself.

mongoose

Coach
03 easily. Panthers were underdogs against an arrogant roosters side even though they got the minor premiership. They weren't even expected to beat 8th place brisbane in the first round of finals. Anyway, John Lang is the most likable coach in the game and it was great to see him get a title.

91 was a tragedy though. a dark day for rugby league.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Gotta go with Penrith in 03, being in Penrith at the time was absolute awesome, the entire town went nuts, the scenes at Panthers were brutal. Good times.

GongPanther

Referee
The '91 Grand Final was for me the ultimate in highs as it not only was our first premiership,but from the fans of the day who were just about as thrilled.

And when you look at the fact that the Raiders were over the cap in 1990 in which we were ripped off for that year (and so were all the other teams in the comp proper) and the big names that they had in the 1991 G.F.,makes it all sweeter.

The 2003 was great.

But for me,it didn't have the same feel to it as the '91 did.

Post Super-League war I guess.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
97 - a team of no hopers beat the Manly scum and save the game in the process

05 - a great game between two teams that nobody could really hate

Raider_69

Post Whore
save the game in the process

Where's the "wanking" emoticon when you need it
What a load of bollocks, the game was going to move on from the SL war regardless of who won the ARL G/F

Granted it was a nice feel good result, but there is no need to wank on about saving the game. No one buys it except f**king dilusional knights fans and ARL loyalists who would prefer to pretend the ARL were clean skinned in the war then deal with the reality that both sides were as guilty as each other.

SEAT 1A

Bench
1996 Grand final Saints V Manly. Finest moment for me post 56-66 era. No coach and no players at the start on the 96 year.

1992 Saints V BNE. Basically played against a SOO team.
1985 Saints V Dogs. A whisker away from all 3 grades.

06 and 08, as much as I hate Brisbane and Manly, it was good to see 2 NRL legends go out winners. Plus it was good to see the Mexicans get done :D.

When I think of 2005 I think what I would say if pre-season 2004 someone told me that in 2005 those 2 teams would fight out the Grand Final.

I also didn't mind 2001, everyone out here was going for Parra, you could pin point the moments when their hearts smashed into a million pieces.

Where's the "wanking" emoticon when you need it
What a load of bollocks, the game was going to move on from the SL war regardless of who won the ARL G/F

Granted it was a nice feel good result, but there is no need to wank on about saving the game. No one buys it except f**king dilusional knights fans and ARL loyalists who would prefer to pretend the ARL were clean skinned in the war then deal with the reality that both sides were as guilty as each other.

LOL, well said.

Hanscholo

Bench
Knights Manly will probably never be beaten because of the times, the sides playing, the overwhelming support for newcastle by not only novocastrians but a hell of a lot of nuetrals, and the fact that Manly had just owned Newcastle for years on end. Sport never got any more incredible than at that moment.

The tigers winning in 2005 was special, probably not as special as it could have been, but it was nice for the long suffering wests and balmain supporters to have their day. Penrith beating the Roosters was also pretty amazing, they had a shocking year before, then had a season that could only be described as sensational, it was like parra at the back end of last season but it lasted nearly all season.

Funnily enough the 89 GF...funny to think back but it was special and a feel good moment for canberra, even though looking back it now - i would have loved to see balmain win it.

Penrith in 91 also rates a mention...

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Knights Manly will probably never be beaten because of the times, the sides playing, the overwhelming support for newcastle by not only novocastrians but a hell of a lot of nuetrals, and the fact that Manly had just owned Newcastle for years on end. Sport never got any more incredible than at that moment.

The tigers winning in 2005 was special, probably not as special as it could have been, but it was nice for the long suffering wests and balmain supporters to have their day. Penrith beating the Roosters was also pretty amazing, they had a shocking year before, then had a season that could only be described as sensational, it was like parra at the back end of last season but it lasted nearly all season.

Funnily enough the 89 GF...funny to think back but it was special and a feel good moment for canberra, even though looking back it now - i would have loved to see balmain win it.

Penrith in 91 also rates a mention...

Iv spoken to Wayne Pearce about various things in footy. He didnt say specifically, but you can tell that that game hurts him so much still.

Latest posts