What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest feel-good Grand Final?

^_^

Juniors
2007 - Who honestly didn't enjoy seeing a full strength Manly side getting absolutely destroyed?

I guess by full strength you mean with out our Fullback for 80 mins? hahahaha to answer your question it was nowhere near as good as seeing the "full strength" Storm side cop a 40 point hiding in 08 to hold the title of the biggest GF loss EVER :lol:

jpaciocco91

Juniors
Storm weren't really full strength because Cam Smith and Hoff never played...but yeah they could have at least done better with Greg Inglis, Slater, Folau and Cronk in the side than to be beaten 40-0!

^_^

Juniors
Storm weren't really full strength because Cam Smith and Hoff never played...but yeah they could have at least done better with Greg Inglis, Slater, Folau and Cronk in the side than to be beaten 40-0!

Hehe yeh dude take note of the inverted commas i was pointing out he stated Manly was "full strength" yet our number 1 fullback was knocked out 45 min into the game at a 10-4 scoreline...but yeh either way watching them go down like that on the big stage was priceless :)

no name

Coach
hahah

theyw ere the best team over both codes and would have won the unified comp.

dunno why it dosnt count as much
Best team over both codes? Wtf were the Broncos playing because the 1997 grand final I saw was a game of rugby league between Newcastle and Manly.
Who's to say the Knights wouldn't have beaten the Broncos anyway?
Doesn't count as much cause the * comp was a one off Micky Mouse comp.
I remember watchin the Broncos after the game strolling around shaking each others hand. Even they didn't give a f*ck that they won.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Geez. World history started in 1997 did it?

No one mentioned 1989? Balmain making their first in 20 years against the Raiders looking to take it out of Sydney for the first time?

Only eclipsed by two others. 1995, and 1981. The bridesmaide (Parra) vs everyone's second side and perennial strugglers Newtown. Made sweeter by the fact that Easts and Manly got flattened in the finals by them. Made sweeter still because it was Tommy's first (only) GF.

Those are the 3 standouts - where BOTH clubs were liked. Second comes the ones where the scum club is beaten (82, 83, 86, 97, 08)

And Eelementry, claiming 09 because it was kind to Brett "traitor" Finch - you stupid twat. I bet you wept in 82 for Geoff Gerard too f*cktard!

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Who's to say the Knights wouldn't have beaten the Broncos anyway?

Brisbane woud have destroyed Newcastle. As proven by the thumpings they put on both '97 grand finalists the very next year. That, and their comfortable cruise to the '98 premiership.

I vote for 89. Changed the game.

ARL 97 was the biggest "feel sick" grand fi....I can't even bring myself to call it that since it was half a comp. Those roid taking cheaters acting like they saved the game. DISGRACEFUL.

Last edited:

Broncos93

Juniors
'06. Charge to finals, inspired by Hodges and Berrigan with that try just after halftime against the Dogs. I still watch that second half all the time. I also remember Lockyer's awesome right foot step when he just strolled through the line on halfway and sent them over for the next try. Back in the day, when Lockyer's knee could hold a step. Grand Final was just as sweet, fairy tale ending for Webcke, and as usual no one gave us a chance :).

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
The 1997 gf that saved the game was a classic match. Mad Dog stomping on Toovey's head. Hoppa's gorilla dance in the first half and sudden disappearance in the second. and of course Joey's moment.

I vaguely recall a game in Brisbane the night before - must have been boring because no one remembers it.

Thank God for the 1997 Knights win that saved Rugby League!

Dutchy

Immortal
As a fan of Rugby League - 1997 was f**king awesome, too bad it was against my team :(

I do tear up whenever I see Menzies try in the 08 Grand Final. Men like Steven Menzies and Nathan Hindmarsh deserve to go out winners.

Perth Red

Post Whore
1999, the year RL moved out of the suburbs in front of a world record (officially anyway) crowd

Tyler Durden

Juniors
it's funny how the really memorable grand finals are those where a team wins their first title - and involves them coming from behind late in the second half to claim the title:

1981 Parramatta v Newtown
1989 Canberra v Balmain
1991 Penrith v Canberra
1997 Newcastle v Manly

Knightmare

Coach
Brisbane woud have destroyed Newcastle. As proven by the thumpings they put on both '97 grand finalists the very next year. That, and their comfortable cruise to the '98 premiership.

Oh right, so what happens the year AFTER the Grand Final shows us who really deserved to win it? Did you proclaim the Storm the deserved Premiers of 2006 after they pumped Brisbane 40-0 in week 1 of the 2007 Finals?

Butters

Bench
Hehe yeh dude take note of the inverted commas i was pointing out he stated Manly was "full strength" yet our number 1 fullback was knocked out 45 min into the game at a 10-4 scoreline...but yeh either way watching them go down like that on the big stage was priceless :)

Manly started that grand final with a full strength side, too bad Brett Stewart couldn't handle being tackled.

Dutchy

Immortal
Saying he was tackled is a bit of a stretch. More like a purposeful "If we kill Stewy we win dirty piece of sh*t" play