What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest feel-good Grand Final?

Shire Panther

Juniors
Gotta go with Penrith in 03, being in Penrith at the time was absolute awesome, the entire town went nuts, the scenes at Panthers were brutal. Good times.
I agree 100% 03 was unbelievable even now when i think back its still hard to believe we won but what made even more sweeter was that it was against the arrogant Roosters and Fittler:D.

91 for us was great as was 05 for the Tigers and 97&2001 for Newcastle also 99for the Storm

All the GF's ive mentioned had great moments:

91 Simmons scoring a double and Brandy showing his class.

97 Joey to Albert for the winning try

99 Storm in its 2nd year winning the title with a bit parts team and the late penalty try oh and Lazo doing a cartwheel:crazy:

01 Joey tearing Parra apart

03 Sattler's tackle and Priddis' as someone else on here called it the game of the decade especially the cut out ball to Rooney to score his second when everyone thought it was going to Gower for a field goal it was a massive play.

05 Benjis flick to Pat Richards

Butters

Bench
2007 - Who honestly didn't enjoy seeing a full strength Manly side getting absolutely destroyed?

Quigs

Immortal
1973 ....... The papers of the day said the game should not be played as Manly will destroy the Sharks in one of the most one sided GFs in memory.

The sharks came out bashing anything that moved.

Loved every minute of it. Only one thing stopped us.

Bloody Fulton.

Cheers
Quigs

NK Arsenal

Juniors
What a load of bollocks, the game was going to move on from the SL war regardless of who won the ARL G/F

Yep of course it would have. Uncle rupert would be running the whole show, not just half of it and also we'd have seven of his slaves on the board, not just one.

The true heartland of rugby league, Newcastle, would have 3k crowds turning up to Breakers Stadium watching a bunch of rejects getting hammered every week

How good would that have been :roll:

Granted it was a nice feel good result, but there is no need to wank on about saving the game. No one buys it except f**king dilusional knights fans and ARL loyalists who would prefer to pretend the ARL were clean skinned in the war then deal with the reality that both sides were as guilty as each other.

I never said that the ARL were innocent. But they were definitely the lesser of two evils as they had the games best interests at heart.

The selfish merkins (especially the Sharks, Raiders and Broncos) who joined Super League were in it for themselves. Thanks to them we have seen the deaths of Wests, Balmain, St George, Illawarra, Perth, the Gold Coast and North Sydney and put the game back 10 years. Thanks guys. :sarcasm:

Big Pete

Referee
:lol:

I love it how members base their Super League arguments based off 'Wikipedia' esque 'facts'.

Biggest Feel-Good Grand Final? I can only base my assessment on 30 years of Rugby League history (Thank you Grand Finals dvd from Pizza Hut) but I'd have to say the Penrith 03 win was right up there.

Written off through out the year as pretenders, Penrith played with sheer determination and courage to make it to the Grand Final and ultimately defeat one of the most professional sides in modern Rugby League history.

I also loved the stories involved in that side...

- Preston Campbell, getting nixed at Cronulla, heads west and wins a grand final.

-The father and son story of John and Martin Lang. John had been such a good coach for so many seasons yet never earnt the success he so richly deserved. While Martin played as if every game was his last.

-Sattler finally escaping his fathers shadow and coming up with his own defining moment.

typicalfan

Coach
Yep and were dead last after a month of footy, the only team to win the minor premiership and GF and also be last at one stage i think

Big Pete

Referee
Hmmm?

They were dead last after two rounds. They were 13th after the first four rounds having defeated the Roosters in an absolute thriller.

beave

Coach
1997 for me.

The whole "it saved the game' thing for me is.....well I don't think it saved the game, but the $hit that city was going through at the time, I think that win lifted the town out of a bad period. Was a great game.

For the record, we never deserved to be there in 2005. IMO, 2004 we should have been in the GF and not the Roosters. We will never know though who would have won from that GF combo, because of Simpkins utter inept reffing in the qualifying game............ But hey, at least the NRL got the game they wanted (dogs v chooks)

MacDougall

First Grade
With no disrespect intended the 2005 final had a terrible elephant sitting in the corner.

Three weeks earlier the Tigers had beaten the Cowboys by 50.

If it had have been Tigers vs. Parramatta and the game went the same way. Damn if that wouldn't have been a million times better. I don't understand how Parra choked there. Or the Dragons for that matter.

'06, hands down. No one expected us to win, we flogged Canterbury in the Finals when we were losing at half time - who could forget Shaun Berrigan in the corner!!!

It was a very good finals campaign.

I can never stand this comment. You don't make the Grand Final if you cannot gain some expectation.

macavity

Referee
1997, Newcastle v Manly.

should be a movie made about it, it is simply the greatest sporting moment of all time.

totally unbiased of course.

mongoose

Coach
1997, Newcastle v Manly.

should be a movie made about it, it is simply the greatest sporting moment of all time.

Im sure Paul Harrogan has pitched it to Michael Bay and James Cameron already.

Boganater

Juniors
1997, Newcastle v Manly.

While the Super League war was crap for everyone. If it didn't happen do you think that Newcastle still would have won or even got to the GF with the likes of Brisbane, Canterbury, Canberra and the Sharks in the comp?

1997 for me.

The whole "it saved the game' thing for me is.....well I don't think it saved the game, but the $hit that city was going through at the time, I think that win lifted the town out of a bad period. Was a great game.

For the record, we never deserved to be there in 2005. IMO, 2004 we should have been in the GF and not the Roosters. We will never know though who would have won from that GF combo, because of Simpkins utter inept reffing in the qualifying game............ But hey, at least the NRL got the game they wanted (dogs v chooks)

Or you could look at it another way. We're one of a number of Sydney clubs they want to see move, merge or die. Giving us a chance to win more fans/money with another premiership wouldn't help their cause. Also, seeing inter state sides at the business end of the season justifies their expansion policy.

I'll agree on one thing, you did deserve to be in the 04 GF instead of us as we were bad and just plain lucky. I'm glad we made a game of it in the GF at least.

Latest posts