What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater - Great GF Moment

carcharias

Immortal
Great play by slater
Saved a try maybe even the title.

Best fullback I have seen play the game.
Wiped the toilet floor with barba.

ratsack2

Juniors
funny thing with this is that it was a classic AFL spoil. closed punch fist on the ball over the players back, so an AFL move wins the GF lol

Danny-Boy

Juniors
Pritchard ran the decoy straight into Cooper Cronk, and Barba ran around Pritchard. Cronk was obstructed from making a tackle on Barba. Classic Shepard play from the grubs, can't believe they almost got away with it again. Would have been better if Morris got the bounce and scored, Melbourne would have had the ball 20 meters out from the grubs line.

Glen

Bench
My favourite Slater play was when he frantically attacked the ball in the corner with no pressure on him and fumbled it..

He played well overall and scored a great try, but trying to make out the Morris thing as a legendary moment is a load of shite. Any fullback would have scrambled and gotten a hand to it

Mr Saab

Referee
Widdops tackle on Reynolds (and forcing the knock on) was a better highlight....but the commentators didnt really jizz about it

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Stopping Morris from scoring that try is a great GF moment. Had Morris scored the Dogs could have went on to win it.

Up their with Sattlers tackle in 2003.

Highlights of game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjWxF-YasPo

Would have given the Dogs momentum i reckon.. Whole reason Morris had to kick it in the first place too was because of Billy being there.

After watching both again.. I'd put slaters effort ahead of sattlers.. Morris regathers its a try.. slaters speed and timing and outstanding skill spoils the effort of Morris. Bravo billy.. bravo.

Yep.. we all agree that slaters play was the greatest moment.

Billy's spoil was all speed and skill.. no other fullback could have done that.. amazing play from the immortal Slater. Greatest gf moment easy really when you think about it.

At that speed to react and hit the ball away is phenomenal..

It was a spectacular play.. and its in all the highlight reels

Yep.. whichever way you look at it.. doesn't get much better then that play.

The only thing better than Slater's play is your effort to suck him off and type at the same time.

simostorm

Bench
Hey.. no need for that.. I'm on your side with this..

Was it better then sattlers tackle? Most definitely..

Was it a brilliant display of skill and speed? Yes..

Why we splitting straws eh..

bottle

Coach
Did Billy Slater do something? Watched the game, must've missed it.

I thought the only thing of note he did was attack Graham's teeth with his earhole. Thug!

Bman26

Juniors
Widdop ankle tapping Reynolds
Smith holding up Ennis
Cronk's pass to Slater
Cronk's kick to O'neill
Waqa's reads in defense

edit:
Sammy P's hands in the corner for the Dogs try.

IMO Mal Meninga doesnt get enough cred for his ankle tap on Mick Neil in the 89 GF. If Neil scores the game is over.

Awesome defensive play. Mal also made an amazing defensive play in the 91 GF....Barwick was over the line and about to dive and put the ball down when Mal monstered him and dragged him back outta the in goal. It was amazing. Unfortunately we didn't go on to win the game.

Daley also pulled off an awesome strip on Izzard over the line in the same half.

Raider_69

Post Whore
A. Johns pass to D. Albert best ever Grand Final moment of all time.

It might be a contender if you completely ignore Steve Jackson beating 2 players and carrying half the balmain pack 10 metres for a try in ET.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
It might be a contender if you completely ignore Steve Jackson beating 2 players and carrying half the balmain pack 10 metres for a try in ET.

I think that play is a little overated tbh. My Favourite moment of any GF is Chicka Ferguson's try in the last minute of that game to give Mal a chance to level the score. It was a hail Mary play and Chicka's ability to step inside the defence was amazing.

Let's face it 1989 is the Grand Daddy of great grand finals.

Danish

Referee
i dont get the love in for the whole 1989 GF personally. The game is defined by choke plays, a mountain of errors, coaching blunders and horrible defence (the tackle attempts on Jackson... looked like 6 jamie sowards were out there).

91 is the greatest GF IMO. that game was fiercely competitive and included some fantstic footy

Jason Maher

Immortal
I honestly haven't seen the 89 GF sine 1989 (aside from the oft shown highlights), so I can't really comment. 90 and 91 were both great games. The second half of 91 was pulsating stuff. Canberra clinging desperately to a 12-6 lead, Penrith throwing wave after wave at the Canberra line, before finally crakcing them to level the scores. Then Alexander nailing a long range field goal. Then Scott Gale choking big time with the short drop out, letting his whole team down who had worked so hard to keep themselves in the game. Then the fairy tale ending with Royce Simmons bagging a double and Alexander nailing it from the sideline. Penrith pulled it off through sheer effort, no doubt spurred on by their near miss 12 months earlier when they had gone very close to running the Raiders down.

Aside from 2010, 1991 is my favourite Grand Final ever.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
i dont get the love in for the whole 1989 GF personally. The game is defined by choke plays, a mountain of errors, coaching blunders and horrible defence (the tackle attempts on Jackson... looked like 6 jamie sowards were out there).

91 is the greatest GF IMO. that game was fiercely competitive and included some fantstic footy

The mistakes and 'chokes' added to the drama. Every incident was a turning of the tide from Balmain winning to Canberra winning. As for the pathetic defence - as I said for mine the Jackson try is over rated but the defence of Canberra to let in Royce Simmons 2nd try from the drop out in 1991 was even worse.

There were some outstanding plays in 1989. Dean Lance's hit on Blocker Roach is one of the best you'll ever see. Sironen's try right on half time is an absolute classic. The devestation of the tigers players at the end of the game is testament to the emotional roller coaster that the game provided.

Latest posts