What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater - greatest ever fullback?

Is billy Slater the greatest ever fullback?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I think a few fullbacks over the last 25 years have been better than him for a season or two, Mullins had a couple of magnificent seasons, likewise minichello, Bowen and ole mate Jerry Hayes but Slater has had about 6-7 years + of excellence.

When he's on the field you feel that a try is just around the corner. Very difficult to compare him to Churchill or Langlands.

MrT

Juniors
He's a great fullback whos had ther luxury of developing his game under the games best ball players. It may have been so different for him if he played behind average halves

Raider_69

Post Whore
hard to compare from different eras but certainly one of the best in the modern era

which only makes his grubbiness more annoying. He should be the face of the game, a once in a generation style player, top of his game, everything you want to see in RL, but he makes himself so unlikable with his grubbiness.

Fantastic player though and easily the games best fullback today.

Noa

First Grade
No doubt about that. And don't underestimate Bellamy's part in slaters legacy. He's tailored the style of the team to utilise what billy can do to full effect

Nightward

Juniors
The problem with Slater is that he always plays as though there is 30 seconds on the clock and his team is 4 points behind. When this comes off, he looks like a genius. When it doesn't, well...

The brain snaps are still there, it's just that he is usually surrounded with enough class to minimise their impact.

He's a great player, no doubt about it. But he has a long way to go before he catches Lockyer, and longer still before he has the ability to read and shape the game the way he did.

stormbati

Bench
Brett Stewart is pretty damn good too. If he was able to string a few back to back seasons together he'd be part of the discussion. I don't think I've seen him play poorly. I actually think he's just as good as Slater tbh.
:lol:

stormbati

Bench
The problem with Slater is that he always plays as though there is 30 seconds on the clock and his team is 4 points behind. When this comes off, he looks like a genius. When it doesn't, well...

The brain snaps are still there, it's just that he is usually surrounded with enough class to minimise their impact.

He's a great player, no doubt about it. But he has a long way to go before he catches Lockyer, and longer still before he has the ability to read and shape the game the way he did.
Are you serious? What does he have to do to catch the great Lockyer?
Dont get me wrong, Lockyer was a great fullback but you convince me how Lockyer was a better fullback than Billy?

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Nah - he wants Boyd there for the riveting interview he'd provide. It would be every bit as insightful and intelligent as a southwalesrabbitoh revelation...

No doubt Boyd is a good fullback, but Slater is the best in the business right now and has been for the last 6 or 7 years. Stewart and Minnichello have had far too many injuries to keep pace and Dugan is still a work in progress.

I agree with MacDougall, if Stewart had a few consistent seasons playing round-abouts how good he is, he'd be part of this discussion, if nothing else.

Stewart has been f**ked by injuries, off-field incidents, and probably the fact he just looks like a bit of a derp-king. On song I'd say he's as good as Slater, probably even more reliable, actually.

skeepe

Immortal
I don't care how good he is. He's a f**king merkin of a human being.

Kicking defenceless people in the face, running 50 metres to punch someone in the back, signing multiple contracts, you name it and he's done it.

A fine player no doubt, but I'll never, ever respect him.

MacDougall

First Grade
He also cradled David William's head in his lap for like 15 minutes which may have saved his career..

Anyways I find it amusing that the five best fullbacks at the moment; Slater, Stewart, Hayne, Dugan and Boyd are all hateable as f**k for a variety of reasons. Not a likeable cat among them.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Slater redeemed himself from the Skando incident in those moments with Williams, in a game where Melbourne and Manly were at each others throats - he showed the sportsmanship and human decency that was a credit to the man and the game.

Besides. It would take more than that to hurt Skando...

Nightward

Juniors
Are you serious? What does he have to do to catch the great Lockyer?
Dont get me wrong, Lockyer was a great fullback but you convince me how Lockyer was a better fullback than Billy?

He would need to develop the world's best kicking game and the ability to read and direct play that made Lockyer the world's best five-eighth.

He is a game-breaker. No question about it.

Unlike Lockyer, however, he is not a game-maker.

thorson1987

Coach
He would need to develop the world's best kicking game and the ability to read and direct play that made Lockyer the world's best five-eighth.

He is a game-breaker. No question about it.

Unlike Lockyer, however, he is not a game-maker.

IMO Slater is the better fullback.

But I still class Lockyer as one of the best players that I have seen. Even above slater