What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater > Karmichael Hunt

CHRIS SANDOW

Juniors
Slater for mine personally.

About the comments made by those calling the game, premature perhaps but dam if that wasn't the best performance from a fullback that I have seen in my 25 years of watching rugby league.

That was against England, the team Sterlo said would push Australia the hardest in this world cup.

I agree

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
The same sterlo who said in a 2002 mid yr test between the poms and australia that the game would not be a blowout as many expected (said this after 10 mins)

Final score

64-10

this is because the Poms are good but play with no heart, as in they get behind by a little and give it all up. Not a reflection on Sterlo.

Mr Saab

Referee
this is because the Poms are good but play with no heart, as in they get behind by a little and give it all up. Not a reflection on Sterlo.

So then sterlo should not make such comments. The Poms rarely put up a fight in Australia. Last time they won was in 2006 when Stuart put in Neville Hornby in the team.

typicalfan

Coach
lol every time Karmichael got the inside ball he got tackled, want to wager at least most of those would have been clean breaks had it been Slater?

Karmichael imo is slower than he was when he played in the 2006 GF and is a fair bit below Slater atm.

DeeJ

Bench
I'll wager. The PNG defence read that play well, Slater would have been tackled just as easily.

typicalfan

Coach
ho about the one he caught to score v Broncos? didnt see Hunt beat him there, I think Hunt proved last night our point exactly

Loudstrat

Coach
Will be interesting to see cutie's career in a few years time. Without Bennet's influence in the Origin selection room, with the peaking of Slater, and the return of the Thurston/Bowen combination in Townsville in '09 - the best 2 player combination in the last 5 years, and the rise of the brilliant Stewart, and the rep emergence of Brett Kearney, I can't see too many rep opportunities for cutie.

The thing about Slater is that he is an equal contributor to Folau and Inglis in club and rep jumpers. Can't say the same about cutie.

typicalfan

Coach
Broncos supporters see him as gold and there is no way around that. I remember someone referring to Slater as being around stars. Well Hunt has a NSW half, and champion 5/8 and two of the best outside backs in the world next year. and Brisbane have had rep players throughout their history, Slater has saved Melbourne's skin on many occasions i remember the game v the Raiders this year where his influence took away a 12 point deficit

sass

Juniors
I can't stand either of them but lil billy is definitely the better fullback this year if not all the time.

hellteam

First Grade
Will be interesting to see cutie's career in a few years time. Without Bennet's influence in the Origin selection room, with the peaking of Slater, and the return of the Thurston/Bowen combination in Townsville in '09 - the best 2 player combination in the last 5 years, and the rise of the brilliant Stewart, and the rep emergence of Brett Kearney, I can't see too many rep opportunities for cutie.

The thing about Slater is that he is an equal contributor to Folau and Inglis in club and rep jumpers. Can't say the same about cutie.

People can say Hunt doesn't have the ability of Slater, and thats fair enough. But he is a valuable player at the Broncos, a very good talker on the field and has a good combination with Lockyer and Hodges, our two stars backs. Hopefully also with Folau who he's played with at Origin.

Hunt will always have a place in the Origin team in my opinion. He's a winner, you can't argue with that. He's won over 70% of his matches in Origin, nearly 100% in test (i think one loss), and probably 60-70% at the Broncos, with a premiership.

There is room for both him and Slater, as has been seen this year in the QLD team, and also in the Australian team.

Loudstrat you just lost all credibility by saying the 'rep emergence of Brett Kearney.'

Also Bowen has got no chance of ever getting back into Origin, he blew it the few times he's had a start in the no. 1 jumper.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Broncos supporters see him as gold and there is no way around that. I remember someone referring to Slater as being around stars. Well Hunt has a NSW half, and champion 5/8 and two of the best outside backs in the world next year. and Brisbane have had rep players throughout their history, Slater has saved Melbourne's skin on many occasions i remember the game v the Raiders this year where his influence took away a 12 point deficit

You think Slater is not around stars? How many players did Melbourne have in the origin squad this year?

Slater and Hunt are two different types of fullback. Where Slater is a more offensive weapon, similar to a winger, Hunt has defensive qualities and is a genuine playmaker/coordinator, setting up tries and slotting into the backline to start movements not just finish them.

typicalfan

Coach
Hunt is not a genuine playmaker, he gets the ball from the best player in the world, and passes it to the best centre in the world. How is that genuine playmaker material.

Butters

Bench
You think Slater is not around stars? How many players did Melbourne have in the origin squad this year?

Slater and Hunt are two different types of fullback. Where Slater is a more offensive weapon, similar to a winger, Hunt has defensive qualities and is a genuine playmaker/coordinator, setting up tries and slotting into the backline to start movements not just finish them.

Did you even watch any of Melbourne's games this year? Slater shutdown countless attacking raids and saved a tonne of trys by tackling players who had made a break through Melbourne's line. Hunt struggles to make the simplest of tackles even when players run right at him. The image of Mark Minichiello stepping Hunt to score last year is a perfect example of Hunts defencive capabilities.

Ghoulies

Bench
Hunt is not a genuine playmaker, he gets the ball from the best player in the world, and passes it to the best centre in the world. How is that genuine playmaker material.
Because when you take him out of that combination, it goes to sh*t.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Did you even watch any of Melbourne's games this year? Slater shutdown countless attacking raids and saved a tonne of trys by tackling players who had made a break through Melbourne's line. Hunt struggles to make the simplest of tackles even when players run right at him. The image of Mark Minichiello stepping Hunt to score last year is a perfect example of Hunts defencive capabilities.

Kicking a player in the head to stop a try just doesn't wash as defensive prowess for me.

Did you miss Hunt's defensive efforts in Origin this year?

Latest posts