What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blue Moon - The Manchester City Thread - C'MON CITY!

Ridders

Coach
you're thinking of the wrong ronaldo, man city are being linked with both now apparently, and if you man city fans dont want c ronaldo then there is something wrong with them, any club in the world would take him. But that link is laughable, man u will never sell such a big star player to their rivals, no matter how much money they offer

It has nothing to do with whether United accept or reject a bid for Cristiano. The man himself wouldn't even think twice about it, he wants to join Madrid because that was the club he followed as a youth. Why on earth would he be tempted to move to a club like Man city.

shiznit

Coach
It has nothing to do with whether United accept or reject a bid for Cristiano. The man himself wouldn't even think twice about it, he wants to join Madrid because that was the club he followed as a youth. Why on earth would he be tempted to move to a club like Man city.
didnt you hear mate... they pulled off a transfer on deadline day... there a MASSIVE club now... :lol:

Tom Shines

First Grade
didnt you hear mate... they pulled off a transfer on deadline day... there a MASSIVE club now... :lol:

Yep, we signed Spencer Prior on deadline day. Oh, and some bloke named Robinho.

We may have the tallest floodlights and the widest pitch, but we also have the richest owners.

Massive club indeed.

brendothejet

First Grade
look at the united fans.

Happy to let this thread slip of the front page of LU when we beat them at their own home swamp, i mean ground.

now that City are in the money they come in here laughing and mocking.

WE've had the wood on you mob for the last 8 years head to head. Now we've got cash what do you think is gonna happen?

Anyone who doesn't think that in 20 years every major club in UK/Europe wont be heavily subsidised by private investment needs to get out from under a rock.

fish eel

Immortal
look at the united fans.

Happy to let this thread slip of the front page of LU when we beat them at their own home swamp, i mean ground.

now that City are in the money they come in here laughing and mocking.

WE've had the wood on you mob for the last 8 years head to head. Now we've got cash what do you think is gonna happen?

Anyone who doesn't think that in 20 years every major club in UK/Europe wont be heavily subsidised by private investment needs to get out from under a rock

That doesnt make it a good thing. Enjoy it while it lasts, because the money your club is spending is in total disproportion to the wealth it generates. If, in a couple of years, the money dries up you wont have a club (and I've said the same about Chelsea).

By the way, City might want to actually win a trophy before they're called a big club.;-)

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
Spending any money on a sports team is always going to be in disproportion to the money it generates, whether that be the local electrical company sponsoring under 12's or a large consortium owning a Premier League team.

It just so happens that the owners of Man City are all but trillionaires, so the proportion of their money stays the same, but it means they are putting in a damn sh*t load of money.

City = winners.

Tom Shines

First Grade
That doesnt make it a good thing. Enjoy it while it lasts, because the money your club is spending is in total disproportion to the wealth it generates. If, in a couple of years, the money dries up you wont have a club (and I've said the same about Chelsea).

By the way, City might want to actually win a trophy before they're called a big club.;-)

Don't you think the same applies in your case as well?

The main difference is that your debt has been written into your club. Without a couple of years of Chumps League football, you'd be stuffed.

And Cliffy, send me a PM quickly.

fish eel

Immortal
Don't you think the same applies in your case as well?

The main difference is that your debt has been written into your club. Without a couple of years of Chumps League football, you'd be stuffed.

:lol: :lol:

My club is built on solid foundations - and nobody transferred their personal debt onto it. ;-)

griffo346

First Grade
0,5001,6233194,00.jpg
Shirt off your back ... Pairoj Piempongsant and Sulaiman al-Fahim (R).

'City 'til I buy'

By Simon Hill, Fox Sports
September 04, 2008
IT'S official. The world has gone totally, utterly mad.
In transit from Sydney to Eindhoven for the upcoming Socceroos friendly via London, I missed all the hullabaloo regarding Manchester City’s incredible takeover by the unfortunately named “Abu Dhabi United” group - but boy, did I play catch-up when I hit the tarmac at Heathrow!

There it was in black and white - my beloved club, owned by an Arab sheikh, and Robinho - ROBINHO for goodness sake - signed from Real Madrid for £32.5million ($65m)!
Fox Sports Travel: the ultimate European football tour
Is this really my boyhood team? The club where I used to sit on hard wooden benches in the old Platt Lane end, set amidst the scruffy backstreets of Moss Side? Can it be true, that the club that once purchased - as its big summer signing - Jim Tolmie, a basement buy from the football equivalent of Aldi, now shops at Harrods?

In fact, even that’s a poor analogy. Several years ago, Mohammed Al Fayed, the Egyptian grocer who owns Harrods, breezed into Fulham, promising to turn them into the “Manchester United of the south” - nowadays, he is more Big Issue than big-time in the dizzy world of the Premier League.

So, are we City fans happy at this news? Of course we are!

Who wouldn’t want their own trillionaire to bankroll their club towards the sort of success that only exists - for us - in sepia-tinged photographs? With that sort of money behind us, how can we fail?

Yet lurking at the back of my mind is the sort of uneasy feeling that perhaps only City fans will really understand.

It all boils down to this. How on earth will we deal with success, should it arrive?

City has always been the sort of club that exists outside of the square. When teams such as Oldham and Tranmere were having their once-in-a-blue-moon trips to Wembley, we were consoling ourselves by waving inflatable bananas, and singing melancholy songs about er….well, blue moons.

While other clubs were building state-of-the-art stadiums post-Hillsborough, City were adding lego pieces to the ageing Maine Road. One temporary structure was so open to the elements, it became known as the “Gene Kelly Stand” - so-called because the fans were left “singing in the rain.” It was left to Manchester City Council to gift us our new stadium - known affectionately as the “Council House” but soon to be renamed “Middle East-lands.”

How many other clubs would hold a celebratory dinner to commemorate 30 years without a trophy? Yet that’s what City did in 2006, clinking glasses to toast the balding, 50-something Dennis Tueart, scorer of the 1976 League Cup Final winner against Newcastle.

City’s lack of success has become an article of faith - a grim reality, born stoically and with great humour, by those of us for whom being relatively crap has been a lifelong experience. We may have craved something better, but misery has become a comfortable bedfellow.

But what now?

For years, we’ve taunted United fans for their relentless pursuit of the dollar and ridiculed Chelsea’s “nouveau riche” rise to the gentry. Now, all of a sudden, we’re part of it.

Will the City of Manchester Stadium become a tourist epicentre a-la Old Trafford? Will Japanese day-trippers stand for photos next to the Joe Mercer mosaic? Will the new owners rotate the pitch to face Mecca?

It’s all rather absurd, but this is what the Premier League has become post-Abramovich - a world league in everything but name.

The purchase of City has - predictably - caused some brows to furrow, particularly here in Australia, where anything that smacks of English power (however tenuous that link may be these days) is about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit.

But they would do well to remember the following things.

Firstly, it was FIFA, the world body, which sent football careering towards this unholy union with the business world, by commercializing the World Cup many years ago. Secondly, I don’t remember anyone being particularly peeved when Real Madrid splashed oodles of cash during the era of the Galactico. Thirdly, a big challenge to English domination is already starting to rise in the east, courtesy of the Russian oligarchs. Nothing is permanent in football - and nor should it be.

Fourthly - and most importantly - this is the new reality in football. I don’t have to like it - in fact, if truth be told, I don’t much care for it at all - but post-Abramovich, what is the alternative for clubs who want to compete?

If it's good enough for Madrid and Moscow, why shouldn’t it be so for Manchester?

As for us City fans, well, we’ll treat this latest chapter in our frankly surreal history like we do any other. We’ll cheer the wins, we’ll moan about the defeats and the dud signings (and there’ll be a few - this is City), but most of all, we’ll laugh, occasionally shake our heads in bewilderment, and enjoy the ride.

Only when (or if) we start acquiring trophies will it become tricky. Being successful on a regular basis would be a strange experience - in fact, to quote my dad, (a City season-ticket holder of 50 years, who still thinks George Best wasn’t fit to lace Peter Doherty’s drinks) “winning all the time would be boring.”

Still, football is supposed to be fun - and with our petrodollars at the ready, and the price of oil continuing to rise, we should have a few giggles over the next few months.

In fact, it’s already started - celebrity City fan Noel Gallagher quipping that “It’s nice to know that every gallon of petrol a Manchester United fan buys is going into our transfer kitty.”

Indulge us - we know that with our history, it might not last too long - and whatever happens, I’ll still be City 'til I die!

AAP
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24292053-23215,00.html

That is seriously funny stuff Griffo. Hill always comes across as fairly subdued on TV - didn't realise he had such a fine sense of humour.

fish eel

Immortal
In fact, it’s already started - celebrity City fan Noel Gallagher quipping that “It’s nice to know that every gallon of petrol a Manchester United fan buys is going into our transfer kitty.”

That is genuinly funny

Knightmare

Coach
:lol: If it wasn't for Liverpool, City would be my favorite EPL team. Passionate fans, they hate Man Ure as much as we do- what's not to like?

Reading that article reminded me of a column I read from a 1985 copy of RLW, in which a long- suffering Norths fan lamented the clubs' rising fortunes and almost longing for the "good old days" when Norths would win the coin toss and start their victory lap, when their fan meetings were held in a phone booth and they'd celebrate only getting beaten by 20 points as if it was a win!

hmm

i see.

still. good for city. bad for teams like everton, pompey etc..who are sort of at their level now but wont have the finances at all.

Foz

Bench
Clearly City will be a huge threat in the next 12months to 2 years.
From a footballing perspective money can and does buy you a title.
Doubt these Arabs will be the last of the Sugar Daddys that hit the premier league either.
Everyone knows its $$$ that will get you in the top 4 and its why supporters of my club want the other Arab syndicate to take over from the Americans at Anfield.
After this venture has got up you could almost call Chelsea paupers.
Top 4 is suddenly a new race.
Teams will really struggle only being owned by millionaires and billionaires not trillionaires.
Must be a Power thing for the Rich Boys because they will all lose money.
January transfer window will be real interesting.

Last edited: