What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bottom 4 certains

thommo4pm

Coach
If I didn't know any better I'd say these are just teams that you (well, most Dragons fans) don't like. + Penriff.

Not really.
I don't think the Tigers will handle the pressure of every team coming for them each week. One or two injuries and they are in big trouble. Their backline without Lawrence isn't overly impressive. I know their fans rave about Blake A, but I personally don't think he is much more than a good solid first grader.

You guys, I just don't think you have the points in you. I don't dislike the Roosters as much as I dislike other sides.

Dogs - similar to your team. Not sure if they have enough points in them. Their halves are a big concern. Too much reliance on Barba to jag a try from somewhere.

As I wrote originally, I have no certainty around those picks, just a feeling I have at the moment.
There is always 1 big surprise at the bottom of the table, and this year I think it might be the Tigers.

thommo4pm

Coach
Fair enough, just thought Tigers in particular was an odd selection.

I'm the first to admit I don't like them, but that's not my reason for putting them in the bottom 4.

They may well prove me wrong, and I'm happy to be proven wrong. We'll know more in a few months time I guess as we get to close to the half way point of the comp.

legend

Coach
Some sides are looking a lot older this year. Manly and the Tigers spring to mind.

Canberra are not as young anymore so they should do better but we have Furner holding us back and lowering my expectations.

Brisbane look very impressive.

Melbourne don't look as formidable on paper anymore and Smith and Slater are starting to show signs of wear and tear. Forward pack is mediocre at best.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Have you seen a game of league before,Knights,WestsTigers and Warriors are top 4 sides.

:sarcasm::sarcasm:

sar·casm/ˈsärˌkazəm/
Noun:
The use of irony to mock or convey contempt..

As if i'd pick my own side to be bottom 4..

lol..

eozsmiles

Bench
Some sides are looking a lot older this year. Manly and the Tigers spring to mind.

I thought Manly had a very young team last year. Only a couple of them are over 30, maybe 5 - Galuavo, Kite, King?, Lyon i can think of. They look old in the front row with Kite, King and Galuvao The rest of them are generally pretty young although players like B Stewart, D Williams and Matai are a bit beat up.
The front row and front office look their only weaknesses.

firechild

First Grade

1. Stewart - 26
2. Williams - 25
3. Matai - 27
4. Lyon - 30
5. Oldfield - 21
6. Foran - 21
7. Cherry-Evans - 22

Not a particularly old backline (Lyon excepted) and while the front row is aging (with some good young props like Lussick and Mauro) but the second row has a good mix of youth and experience, Watmough and Stewart are on the older end but are still 2 of the best back rowers in the game, mixed with T-Rex and Buhrer who are still very young.

Fingerbang

Bench
Have you seen a game of league before,Knights,WestsTigers and Warriors are top 4 sides.
When did season 2012 start? I can't find a current table anywhere.

Or maybe you meant....WERE top 8 sides, 5 months ago

adamkungl

Immortal
I like how people just state things as fact that are at best predictions and at worst completely false

Vic Mackey

Referee
Not really.
I don't think the Tigers will handle the pressure of every team coming for them each week. One or two injuries and they are in big trouble. Their backline without Lawrence isn't overly impressive. I know their fans rave about Blake A, but I personally don't think he is much more than a good solid first grader.

You guys, I just don't think you have the points in you. I don't dislike the Roosters as much as I dislike other sides.

Dogs - similar to your team. Not sure if they have enough points in them. Their halves are a big concern. Too much reliance on Barba to jag a try from somewhere.

As I wrote originally, I have no certainty around those picks, just a feeling I have at the moment.
There is always 1 big surprise at the bottom of the table, and this year I think it might be the Tigers.

Dude Lawrence played like 7 games last year and we still came 4th despite one of the worst injury tolls I've ever seen the club have, along with the massive mid year drama of players leaving etc. if we were going to come bottom 4 it was last year.

Plus we dusted your rabble in the semi with an 'unimpressive' backline

adamkungl

Immortal
i like how 90% of people have roosters in bottom 4.

anyway

13. Dragons
14. Rabbitohs
15. Panthers
16. Roosters

I don't care where 90% of forum nuffies think we'll finish. But I'm sure you'll have another 20 page meltdown if someone dares suggest the BoughtDogs are a scummy club made up of mercenary nuffies with a history of extreme cheating.

thommo4pm

Coach
Dude Lawrence played like 7 games last year and we still came 4th despite one of the worst injury tolls I've ever seen the club have, along with the massive mid year drama of players leaving etc. if we were going to come bottom 4 it was last year.

Plus we dusted your rabble in the semi with an 'unimpressive' backline

That's great, sorry for having an opinion that you don't agree with. As I've said the other sides will all be coming harder at you guys this year given you are favourites. If I'm wrong then so be it.
You beat us in the first week of the finals, that's fine.....doesn't change my opinion on what is going to happen this year.
Your fullback/halfback position is not settled.
Lote is past his best on the wing, and Beau Ryan is an average 1st grader.
Gibbs will be a loss for you. Heighnington I personally believe has seen his football. Yes I know he played for England, but we'll see how he goes this year.
I don't think you have the depth in the forwards.

As I said, it's my opinion and you don't need to agree with it.

People have suggested my team will be bottom 4, I haven't questioned their opinions.

Valheru

Coach
i like how 90% of people have roosters in bottom 4.

anyway

13. Dragons
14. Rabbitohs
15. Panthers
16. Roosters

So do I.

It means that we are a 90% chance of not being in the bottom 4.

For me the bottom 4 is too hard to call. Bulldogs finishing with the spoon is the only predication I can make with any confidence.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
That's great, sorry for having an opinion that you don't agree with. As I've said the other sides will all be coming harder at you guys this year given you are favourites. If I'm wrong then so be it.
You beat us in the first week of the finals, that's fine.....doesn't change my opinion on what is going to happen this year.
Your fullback/halfback position is not settled.
Lote is past his best on the wing, and Beau Ryan is an average 1st grader.
Gibbs will be a loss for you. Heighnington I personally believe has seen his football. Yes I know he played for England, but we'll see how he goes this year.
I don't think you have the depth in the forwards.

As I said, it's my opinion and you don't need to agree with it.

People have suggested my team will be bottom 4, I haven't questioned their opinions.

FWIW I tend to agree with some of your assessments. I only questioned your initial post because we had a shocking injury toll last season and still finished 4th which says that we do have some depth.

IMO the Tigers should not be outright favourites given the question marks over fullback and halfback, two of the most important positions in the side. I've never rated Moltzen but fingers crossed he can make the #7 his own. Will need to develop a kicking game, otherwise we are in trouble. Fullback is wide open, need someone to step up here though there are plenty of options.

If Lote stays injury free he'll be fine, still has plenty to offer on and off the park IMO.
Agreed on Ryan, though I would go one step further and say he is a below average first grader at best.
Gibbs definitely a loss, though somewhat offset by being replaced by Blair.
Personally I think Heighington is overrated, nothing more than a solid, hard working first grader. Not rep material. Liam Fulton is a much better player.

I think we are a top four side, but outright favourites, definitely not.

Last edited: