What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bought not bred

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Bit rich from a Souths fan, your entire pack bar Issac Luke are imports :lol:

At full strength Issac is our only non-imported starter, granted. But our bench would have Scott Geddes, Shannan McPherson and Eddy Pettybourne at full-strength. Jason Clark and David Tyrrell would also be in a 20 man squad. The backline at full strength would have only 2 imports in Wesser and Best. With first up replacements in Jamie Simpson, Dylan Farrell and Kane Morgan. Our squad this week is made up of 10 players that debuted at our joint. If we compare:

1. Wesser - Penrith
2. Merritt - tick
3. Champion - tick
4. Farrell - tick
5. Talanoa - tick
6. Sutton - tick
7. Sandow - tick
8. Asotasi - Dogs
9. Luke - tick
10. Stuart - Sharks
11. Taylor - Brisbane
12. Burgess - Bradford
13. Lowe - Cowboys
14. Geddes - tick
15. Pettybourne - tick
16. McPherson - tick
17. Crocker - Roosters via Melbourne

That is a full strength line up of only 7 imported players. I'd say that would compare favourably to just about any team in the competition.

juanfarkall

Coach
At full strength Issac is our only non-imported starter, granted. But our bench would have Scott Geddes, Shannan McPherson and Eddy Pettybourne at full-strength. Jason Clark and David Tyrrell would also be in a 20 man squad. The backline at full strength would have only 2 imports in Wesser and Best. With first up replacements in Jamie Simpson, Dylan Farrell and Kane Morgan. Our squad this week is made up of 10 players that debuted at our joint. If we compare:

1. Wesser - Penrith
2. Merritt - tick
3. Champion - tick
4. Farrell - tick
5. Talanoa - tick
6. Sutton - tick
7. Sandow - tick
8. Asotasi - Dogs
9. Luke - tick
10. Stuart - Sharks
11. Taylor - Brisbane
12. Burgess - Bradford
13. Lowe - Cowboys
14. Geddes - tick
15. Pettybourne - tick
16. McPherson - tick

That is a full strength line up of only 7 imported players. I'd say that would compare favourably to just about any team in the competition.

might want to do a little research with regards your statement about imports.

Ladmate

Bench
They buy too much. Maybe they should focus on developing new talent, like the Eels, Panthers, Tigers, Melbourne, Brisbane etc.

Basically any club but the Bulldogs.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
might want to do a little research with regards your statement about imports.

For arguments sake, because there is no solid criteria regarding what constitutes a junior, I included anyone that had only played NYC for us or made their debut with us. I think that is reasonably fair criteria. I would call Matt Mundine an import as he played NYC for the Dragons, for example. And whilst Geddes was involved with Parramatta and the Dragons in the lower tiers he never played first grade for them and came to us as a 20 year old 10 years ago. I don't think it would be unfair to place him in the non-imported list. Even more so given that we had no contracted players in 2001.

hutch

First Grade

1. Wesser - Penrith
2. Merritt - tick
3. Champion - tick
4. Farrell - tick
5. Talanoa - tick
6. Sutton - tick
7. Sandow - tick
8. Asotasi - Dogs
9. Luke - tick
10. Stuart - Sharks
11. Taylor - Brisbane
12. Burgess - Bradford
13. Lowe - Cowboys
14. Geddes - tick
15. Pettybourne - tick
16. McPherson - tick

isaac luke is not a souths junior, he played junior rugby league in nz.

dylan farrell is a culburra junior, nsw south coast.

sandow is a queenslander, he is not a souths junior.

pretty sure geddes is from nsw country.

just because a club signs up a player as a teenager does not make them a junior of that club. not meaning to have a go at you personally, i think you'll find most clubs are full of players who come from different areas.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
isaac luke is not a souths junior, he played junior rugby league in nz.

dylan farrell is a culburra junior, nsw south coast.

sandow is a queenslander, he is not a souths junior.

pretty sure geddes is from nsw country.

just because a club signs up a player as a teenager does not make them a junior of that club. not meaning to have a go at you personally, i think you'll find most clubs are full of players who come from different areas.

I am well and truly aware of all of that. And I never called them 'juniors' because there is no real criteria governing exactly what a junior is. I applied my own criteria, not to suit any argument, but just for simplicity. If I had the time I could go through every club and apply the same criteria. For example, the Roosters have no juniors but using the criteria I mentioned earlier they would probably be pretty high up on the list in so far as having a team of which the majority are non-imports. They could count Mitchell Pearce as a non-import even though he played his junior footy with Norths up until about 17 I think. It is the only fair way to do it.

Talent identification is arguably just as important as talent development. And by talent identification I don't mean in the way that the Broncos identified Greg Inglis as a talent.

cleary89

Coach
Just for those who say most are bought.

Boyd - QLD
Morris
Gasnier
Cooper

Nightingale - Only played for saints, but as a kiwi you can have him
Soward - From canberra, played at roosters
Hornby
Weyman - South coast junior, bought by canberra so we will have him
Young
Hunt
Creagh

Scott - From Camden, then sharks
Smith - Kiwi and brought up in Melbourne

Merrin
Prior

Costigan - QLD
Fien - NZ

adamkungl

Immortal
I am well and truly aware of all of that. And I never called them 'juniors' because there is no real criteria governing exactly what a junior is. I applied my own criteria, not to suit any argument, but just for simplicity. If I had the time I could go through every club and apply the same criteria. For example, the Roosters have no juniors but using the criteria I mentioned earlier they would probably be pretty high up on the list in so far as having a team of which the majority are non-imports. They could count Mitchell Pearce as a non-import even though he played his junior footy with Norths up until about 17 I think. It is the only fair way to do it.

Talent identification is arguably just as important as talent development. And by talent identification I don't mean in the way that the Broncos identified Greg Inglis as a talent.

Exactly. The whole junior clubs thing is overblown anyway. Imo the professional coaching a player gets from an NRL club has much more influence on a player's growth than the pre-U16s ameteur coaching by some kid's dad.

Raiders

Dugan
Vidot
Croker
J. Thompson
Monaghan
Campese
McCrone

Shillington
Waddell

Learoyd-Lahrs
Harrison
Picker
Fensom

Tongue
Miller

Tilse
Thurling (1 game for Dogs, think he was a Raiders junior)

I don't have a problem with Bulldogs chasing all these players and offer them overs to come to their club, because they normally purchase the wrong players, or ignore better options on the open market.

Wade Graham is clearly a better player Trent Hodkinson, and his asking price was reportedly at least $80K less per season then Hodkinsons. Pritchard is a good player also, but as everyone has pointed out, has massive issues with consistency. Is Kevin Moore really a coach that can get him to play to his potential, especially considering a few other coaches has failed before him. Neville Costigan would've gone for a lot less, provides a similar impact to Pritchard, and is definitely more consistent week in week out. Why didn't they make a play for him instead?

Bennett had to make a few recruitment decisions around the same time the Bulldogs had their massive clean out and brought some new players to the club. Bennett signed Weyman and Boyd, while the Bulldogs signed Hannant and Josh Morris. All four of these players are outstanding talents, there is no doubt about that. However, I am pretty sure the Dragons would have paid a lot less than their pair than the Bulldogs did for theres. It seems to me the Bulldogs recruitment management are more concerned with throwing money at established "name" players, rather than players that clearly have all the potential, and are young enough to play to that standard with the right coaching.

Keating was a good signing at a good price, but now they're trying to fit too many players in too many positions:

1. Barba
6. Roberts
7. Hodkinson
9. Ennis
14. Keating

looks great, but Keating is too good to play off the bench. Roberts could switch to centres, but will he be succesful anymore? There's Morris to play centres and Idris (if the 2nd row experiment fails). What is Barba doesn't suceed at fullback? He's gotta be in the 17 somewhere. I just think the Bulldogs make some strange decisions, a lot of which are responsible for their dismal season this year.

Vidot isn't a Canberra junior, but I'd say by a long stretch the Raiders are definitely the best at raising juniors to their first grade side.

Them and Penrith.

BDH

Juniors
I hate to break the news to you all (and I predict morons will try and flame me with comments about how "Broncos fans wouldn't understand" or "Broncos fans have no soul because we win at life", etc) but threads like this epitomize the "living in 1980" mindset I despise about MANY Rugby League supporters.

Guys, it's 2010.

Do you really expect PROFESSIONAL sporting teams (in any sport) to develop the majority of their roster? The days of players starting at Under 14s and growing up through the ranks died in 1960. And even then it wasn't a reality. For decades the greats have traded teams, clubs stacked teams (St George, Souths), RL poached Union players for decades, hell one of RL's founding players turned his back on his "origins". Give it up already.

As Rugby League fans we have State Of Origin, which is probably the most unique sporting competition in the world outside of International matches, in terms of players playing for their Origins. This is the only situation where a players Origins should even be questioned.

In no other PROFESSIONAL sporting competitions in the world, would clubs even be expected to have a majority of their playing roster self-grown.

Don't get me wrong, I believe junior development is the highest priority of any sport, however that isn't the main role of PROFESSIONAL teams. PROFESSIONAL teams have an obligation to win Premierships.

Personally, I think it's great that Queensland players come from far and wide, in means that junior development from all areas of Queensland, is working. NSW based RL fans should feel the same, instead of bitching about a PROFESSIONAL team buying another player (who incidentally is a has-been anyways).

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You honestly reckon Canberra aren't the best at blooding juniors cleary? :lol: