What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bouncer's family will still sue Fatty Vautin despite brother's death

Penance

Juniors
0,,6098412,00.jpg

Bouncer's family will still sue Fatty Vautin despite brother's death
By Nick Walshaw and Holly Byrnes
June 18, 2008 12:00am

THE family of bouncer Greg Stacey offered their condolences to the Vautin clan yesterday - then promised to push ahead with legal action against The Footy Show presenter Paul Vautin.
While Vautin grieved the loss of his disabled brother Geoffrey in Brisbane, a case was being built against his on-air accusations that Mr Stacey, a benign epileptic, appeared "blind" drunk while working the door of Brisbane's Caxton Hotel on State of Origin night.
Read about Vautin's original 'slur'

Greg's father Peter Stacey confirmed to The Daily Telegraph that members of the Vautin family had phoned to apologise for comments made against his son.

And, while he conceded Vautin would probably not have made the comments had he known about the illness, he added: "But it's done now."
"We got a call from Vautin's mother explaining that her son Geoffrey was critically ill. But we haven't called them back because we didn't know what to say," Mr Stacey said.
"Our hearts go out to the family, particularly his mother, but that doesn't change what's happened to us and our son.
"It's going to be a hard time for Paul. I really do sympathise for him."

Vautin has apologised to the bouncer for his comments and was expected to repeat it during Thursday's airing of The Footy Show.
But when asked if the long-time host would front the program tomorrow night, a Channel 9 spokesman said: "We are respecting the privacy of the Vautin family as they grieve the loss of a son and brother. We will be in contact with Paul through the week."

Geoffrey Vautin, who had Down syndrome, died in a Brisbane care facility at 12.30am yesterday.
The death came only two days after he was dragged into the media storm over his brother's comments.

Vautin said he would never deliberately ridicule a disabled person - revealing that his own brother had Down syndrome.
In a statement released by his manager John Gibbs late yesterday, Vautin said his brother would be "sadly missed but always remembered".
"I am too upset and am grieving with my family to make further comment," he said.

"I would appreciate that you allow my family our private time."
It has been a tough week for Vautin and The Footy Show, with 2GB broadcaster Ray Hadley alleging segments ridiculing the disabled were often a deliberate aim of the show.
Hadley said "Street Talk" staff were often sent in search of "nuffies" - a claim Nine has rejected.
"They search around for homeless people, derelicts, alcoholics, people who look different," Hadley said.
Source: The Daily Telegraph
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23881326-5001021,00.html

what a bunch of greedy pricks!

Benign epilepsy?

The stupid bouncer got the sack and now he wants to manipulate Fatty's words so as to construe it as a slur against disabled people?

Can't see a viable action in defamation....

Nuke

Staff member
Exactly. I saw The Footy Show last week and, like Fatty, his co-hosts, and the studio audience, I too thought the guy was very much pissed.

mattyg

Bench
fatty didn't knowingly defame him. I can't see how they are going to have a case...from all reports the bloke still has a job at the caxton so just leave him alone and stop dragging it on

Penance

Juniors
After all the charity work and hospital visiting the footy show does, and to be sued? pfft.

Stizyler

Juniors
It isn't fatty's fault if any one is to apologise it should be the producers (who shouldn't have let it go to air) and Robbo, who would have known he was disabled but still had a go at him.

warren

Juniors
my goodness i cant believe this has dragged on for this long.
fatty didnt know he had a disability he has said sorry and will do it again on tv. that should be where it ends

Slippers

Juniors
I imagine this bouncer's family will only lose money in court.. I can't see them winning considering the circumstances

nqboy

First Grade
Courts aren't about what's right, they're about the law. Knowledge seems to be the key element here and someone is right for it. Vautin will probably have a few others listed as co-defendants(?) with him on the lawsuit.

Scorpio30

Bench
Greedy f**king pricks....Anyone could have made that mistake. Hopefully they lose and it costs them more than money.

Hutchy86

Juniors
I remember seeing this & thinking immediately 'the bloke is disabled'...
it is an easy mistake to make, but common sense would tell you that if a pub allows any staff to work under them whilst intoxicated then it would probably be shut down.
To me it's a no-brainer... liquor laws are too strict these days for them to assume that the bouncer was drunk

Brutus

Referee
All about the money now for this bouncer's family. No doubt Today Tonight will run with it, Max Markson will probably try and manage them.

What a disgrace. There is no way Fatty knew this guy had epilepsy. It's the producers fault more than anything else.

I feel sorry for Fatty and his family.