What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boyd

RABK

Referee
Boyds been out of form for 1 year but still produces a lot of class. He'll turn it around - he's certainly not a liability as some seem to be slightly suggesting. He's safe and a fullback out of form that is at least safe is never a liability.

I think we all agree his cut out to Uate was a try Uate bombed - if Uate scored we'd all be talking about how it was the best pass we've seen since Johns.

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
Hayne is not quite as big a pea heart as you think pervy...but he is certainly no Dugan.

People are jizzing all over Slater in recent years, 'best fullback ever' and all that sort of stuff...but when Hayne really gets it right, we will not only be saying 'Billy who' but he has the sort of talent to be the 'greatest ever' or somewhere close to that. Sure I am focussing on one hot streak, but I don't even think Johns managed as incredible a hot streak as Hayne did in the 2nd half of the 09 season.

PS: Should also add that I am an unabashed Hayne fan - if I followed Parra I would be all over him, lol

PPS: To qualify what I said a bit more, I thought a similar sort of thought about Slater around 2005'ish, don't really like him but noticed how good he could be with some more polish - 'could be one of the best players in the game if he gets it right' that sort of thing.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Did you watch Boyd's body language tonight? At times he looked very frustrated with himself. He knows he is a better player than he is at present. He is all class. He will come good.

This. I thought he tried and chimed into some good things. We played the Storm, they were 2 good, end of story. Darius needs more time, let him be........

I'd be tempted to try Boyd in the halves this week with Gidley out to try and up his involvement. Problem is Mullen is better at 5/8 and that's where I'd try Boyd. I wouldn't think of it as long-term though - just to get him more involved.
Bennett won't do it. If he was going to he would have swapped Boyd and Gidley around a bit during the game.

Yosh

Coach
If i was coach and wanted to put him at 5/8th, i'd spend an entire preseason on it and then give it to him from round one and keep him there for at least half the season even if he plays like dureau. Doing it 6 weeks into a season to cover an injury is not required. We have stig and roberts in reserve grade who will do a decent job.

This. I thought he tried and chimed into some good things. We played the Storm, they were 2 good, end of story. Darius needs more time, let him be........
When you sign a player of a match winning calibre you are entitled to expect they be consistent. Boyd is brilliant. We all know this. We are paying him to make a decisive difference and I am yet to see it.

Last edited:

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Hayne? ticker?

surely you jest. he's an absolute pea-heart. turns up when he feels like it, or when their back is well and truly against the wall. is MIA otherwise. Hayne could be 10 times the player he is now if he applied himself... and that would be frightening.

A few years ago I would have agreed with this. However I'm not convinced that your statement is still the case.

Hayne? ticker?

surely you jest. he's an absolute pea-heart. turns up when he feels like it, or when their back is well and truly against the wall. is MIA otherwise. Hayne could be 10 times the player he is now if he applied himself... and that would be frightening.

Pre-2009 i would agree with you. Maybe even at time during 2010. I think not making the Australian team for the World Cup was the best thing that could have happened to him. He came back from the Fiji camp a more determined and driven player.

Some people in here are saying Boyd hasn't been playing well because of the service he's been getting, despite having a spine including Gidley, Mullen and Buderus. Hayne has had Keating, Robson and Mortimer feeding him for the last two years, not really any surprise that his 09 form hasn't been seen. Hayne's first game with semi decent halves for the better part of three years was Saturday night and he finished with pretty decent stats (215m, 2 tries, 1 try assist) playing on one leg. I think we will see a different Hayne this season compared to the last couple of years.

Fwiw, i think Boyd will turn it around, he's too good a player not too. He's not a Slater/Dugan type fullback who will support the ball runner every play so i wouldn't expect him to be one.

Good luck for Sunday, hopefully it's a better game than last years stinker.

Yosh

Coach
I hope for everyone's sake both Boyd and Hayne have blinders on sunday. Obvoiusly with us winning as well lol!

If i was coach and wanted to put him at 5/8th, i'd spend an entire preseason on it and then give it to him from round one and keep him there for at least half the season even if he plays like dureau. Doing it 6 weeks into a season to cover an injury is not required. We have stig and roberts in reserve grade who will do a decent job.

Yeah, that would be the way to go. I'm just thinking of how he can get a bit of pressure put on him and get more involved. Bennett moved Lockyer fairly quickly.
I'd much prefer to see Boyd chiming into the back line than at 5/8 for any period of time. I want a fullback who plays like a fullback and, at this stage, while I hope Boyd gets up to form, I think a fit Wes would offer more at fullback.

Rolla

Juniors
I don't know that Boyd would be that good at 5/8. Is it because he can throw a cut out pass? He is good at that set piece, but whenever it isn't going to plan he shits himself and kicks it to the fullback regardless of the tackle count. Is he that composed/intelligent? His running game is nowhere near Mullen's, nor is his involvement or his passing game, and I don't know that he has much of a kicking game.

He is and will remain a fullback. A very good one.

perverse

Referee
i agree. i think Boyd as a 5/8th is a complete myth that everyone seems to think will happen at some stage because of Lockyer. Boyd is not Lockyer. Boyd is nothing like Lockyer was as a fullback. nothing at all.

Mullen is easily in our form player group along with Beds, house and JMac. If Boyd clicks we will be a good percentage more dangerous out wide. Dare I say it but our structure is much less shackled than Darius was used to at St George. I also think Wayne sees a 5/8 as his main playmaker as opposed to a halfback. He seemed to be keen on halfbacks who complimented his 6 rather the other way around once Locky came into prominence there. Mullen will miss out by a whisker to Carney at origin time. Rather that than him wearing the 7 and going backwards again.

Yosh

Coach
Mullen is easily in our form player group along with Beds, house and JMac. If Boyd clicks we will be a good percentage more dangerous out wide. Dare I say it but our structure is much less shackled than Darius was used to at St George. I also think Wayne sees a 5/8 as his main playmaker as opposed to a halfback. He seemed to be keen on halfbacks who complimented his 6 rather the other way around once Locky came into prominence there. Mullen will miss out by a whisker to Carney at origin time. Rather that than him wearing the 7 and going backwards again.

Is that you Nostradamus?:cool:

Old_Timer

Juniors
Do I smell a sense of discontent with our Darius? Shame on you guys.

But from what I have seen of your games, he is simply not the same player. One gets the feeling that he does not want to be there. For us, his smile was beaming. For you lot, his heart is screaming let me out of here.

Sorry to be so blunt guys. Oh and Brett is filling in quite nicely!:D

Do I smell a sense of discontent with our Darius? Shame on you guys.

But from what I have seen of your games, he is simply not the same player. One gets the feeling that he does not want to be there. For us, his smile was beaming. For you lot, his heart is screaming let me out of here.

Sorry to be so blunt guys. Oh and Brett is filling in quite nicely!:D
Have you been kicked out of your forum? You are bordering on GKD obssession with our club.

Last edited:

Latest posts